It finally happened – a crazed general pressed the big red button, releasing the missiles of war and destroying the surface world after an all-out nuclear war. In order to survive, humanity was forced to hide deep underground in the metro tunnels or in the decrepit ruins of the civil defense shelters from the Cold War.
The unimaginable forces unleashed by the thermonuclear ICBMs caught some of the survivors, mutating both their forms and minds into something new, something different.
However, these shelters were never meant for permanent inhabitation. Slowly, irradiated water starts to seep in. Most people have resigned to their fate and just plug the leaks wherever they can, but everyone knows that eventually they're going to get flooded.
The last hope lies into the legendary Tunnel of Power, where an old, enormous, filled-with-food soviet bunker is hidden. A recent earthquake exposed an impossibly thick door with a terminal beside it. Could this be the entrance to the mysterious bunker?
Bright Future is a card driven board game. You take the role of a skillful survivor of the nuclear apocalypse trying to find a new home, a promised land – and to provide for yourself, your family and friends a brighter future underground.
You can play as a human or as a mutant, choosing from 10 characters (the Stalker, the Soldier, the Courtesan, the Thief and the Granny; the Shapeshifter, the Devourer, the Carapace, the Mole and the Queen.
Еvery one of them has a special skill.You can equip your hero with a large variety of unique race-specific
In order to enter the Tunnel of Power, you need the necessary access codes, stored in floppy disks and hidden with the bodies of deceased government officials, usually found inside dangerous anomalies or in the lairs of monsters. But be careful, the identification system is very sensitive and it constantly changes the required code – whenever a player takes a code, another one is randomly drawn to replace it.
In the struggle to reach the Tunnel of Power you can directly attack other players (PVP is supported) or just compete with them, trying to make use of their actions. But don't get fooled, the irradiated tunnels pose many more dangers, like powerful anomalies, dangerous monsters, crazy humans and ravenous mutants.
Luckily, not everything you will encounter in the tunnels is aggressive. You can also find settlements and farms in which you can trade, human and mutant outposts trying to stop the dangers of the tunnels from reaching their homes, or even poor people who need your help.
All of this is BRIGHT FUTURE. We have finished the design and the art and we're about to start the actual printing. But we need help to get the game in your hands. We hope you'll join us in our adventure. Thanks.
Please consider that we are still testing for possible exploits and for rules understandability and readability. Any feedback is welcome!
• "A clever medium weight board game with some innovative mechanics and a really cool theme! I’ve always loved a good twist of history and politics and these guys know what they are talking about!" - Deyan Georgiev, Big Box Gamers
Every copy of the game includes a 25x20 cm (approx. A4) sized box containing:
- 10 Character cards (79x120 mm), every one of them with an unique skill (up to 12 characters, see Stretch Goals).
- 24 Weapon cards (59х91 mm), half of them mutant and half of them human, all with an unique skill.
- 24 Armor cards (59х91 mm), each with unique defensive statistics
- 12 Settlement cards (79x120 mm). Every underground city comes with its
- 12 Outpost cards (79x120 mm), containing opponents or allies – depending on your race.
- 12 Anomaly cards (79x120 mm), containing unique dangers of the nuclear horror underground.
- 7 tunnel cards (59х91 mm) used to choose your location and turn order.
- Dozens of tokens, depicting medicines&drugs, access codes, trade goods and quest items – don't worry if they seem like too many, they're actually easy to keep track of.
- Rulebook: the game will be released entirely in English, but for backers from Bulgaria we will provide also a translated version of the rules.
The cards used in the game are standard European card size (59х91 mm) and the large Dixit size (79x120 mm). See for referral this link.
THANK YOU! - with your Kickstarter name in the game manual.
In case that your dog eats your favorite card, we got you covered. You will receive a digital copy of the game in PDF format, so you can always easily print a new one.
You will receive all of the previous AND the game with all stretch goals (for now: both additional characters) and Single Player mode.
You will receive all of the previous AND the sketchbook, containing:
• Game story comic "The Future Once Foretold"
• Character art & backstories (edited by a professional editor)
• Sketches and b&w illustrations from the game world
• Maps of real bunkers in Bulgaria from the Cold war and GPS coordinates of their location (take care, some of them are not quite accessible)
You will receive all of the previous AND a Bright Future badge AND a Bright Future T-shirt AND an A3 Bright Future poster (please message us in Kickstarter about your T-shirt size - S, M, L or XL, male or female, and which poster do you prefer). We will also send you a PDF with all Bright Future posters so you could have more - or just use them as desktop background.
We will also gather for you and send you a real piece of a bunker, taken from the concrete walls - small enough to be used as a Tunnel Explorer token :)
You will receive all of the previous AND a sketch of your choice - please message us what you want and our artists will draw it for you (b&w picture, A4 size). They could do anything.
► Metro Commander: You will receive all of the previous (including the custom sketch) AND a Character card with YOUR face in addition to your normal character set. Please choose which character you like and e-mail us with a few pictures of yourself!
► Real Explorer: You will receive all of the previous (including the custom sketch) AND you are welcome in May to meet us in Sofia, Bulgaria (we cannot cover your transport and accommodation expenses). We will lead you on a bunker tour and we will visit with you:
• An abandoned nuclear shelter in Sofia (plus a roleplay game inside, in which YOU are the survivor);
• An abandoned military command center from the Cold War near Sofia (we will transport you there by car).
You can have both benefits of the two top tiers: you will receive a custom character card with your face and we will gladly share an adventure with us!
Pledge additional £23:
Applicable to any pledge tier.
You will receive the contents of your pledge AND an additional copy of the game! You can give it to a friend or mix the cards for more a epic game experience.
See FAQ about the benefits of having two game sets.
In case we manage to reach our goal and go beyond it, the following things will be added to the game package:
Two bonus characters: the Rat Catcher (human) and the Little Girl (mutant). Scroll down to see all characters' final cards.
An epidemic has wiped out half of the remaining human/mutant population. Will the other half manage to survive? Will you find a cure or maybe just slaughter the infected people?
If we reach this stretch goal, you will receive with your game:
- a second side of the game board with the different winning conditions;
- additional Tunnel cards and tokens to use with it.
All location cards will be modified with special icons in the bottom right corner for special actions with the Tunnel Fever scenario.
The tunnels do not have preferences on your sex. If you can survive, you survive! If we reach10 000 pounds, we will add a female (or male) version of all the characters on the backside of the cards. Here is a quick preview:
Some characters will have the sex change reflect on their name... For example the male version of the Courtesan will become... the Diplomat or the Swindler :)
This mode includes specific rules for a short turn-based game between two players. The rules are similar to those in Magic: the Gathering and other TCGs. Of course you should have in mind that Bright Future wasn’t made as a stand-alone TCG, so this mode offers limited replayability; though it will provide you with great variety when and can be used as “filler” between longer games.
• The game is based on real locations and bunkers hidden underneath Sofia, Bulgaria - a post-communist country full of underground relics from the Cold War.
• The team has explored, photographed and mapped out more than 10 abandoned underground facilities - military bases and civil nuclear shelters, and many other decrepit locations. We used that to make the game feel even more realistic.
• While exploring the tunnels, we met a homeless family, a frightened dog and many nice and friendly underground 'shrooms.
• Through our journeys underground we found a pick-axe, a shovel and a med-kit. Have you ever asked yourself who is that guy that spreads all the goodies through videogame levels? Well, whoever he is, it seems he's real!
• The gameplay designer is well known in Bulgaria as the organizer of the Stalker LARP series which are held annually since 2009 in all kinds of horrific places.
• Creating the game took us more than one year and we had a lot of fun while working on it. And even though some of the places we visited for references were dangerous, surprisingly no one died (yet)!
► Follow us on Twitter
► ...Or on Tumblr
► See high quality illustrations at DeviantArt
► Pin us in Pinterest
► And of course, browse our galleries on the Facebook page:
• Game Setting – a post-apocalyptic world of humans and mutants
• Gameplay – a card-driven board game
• Concept art – concepts and work-in-progress pictures
• Inspiration – real nuclear shelters visited for reference
• Creative Team – the people behind this project
► You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Amazing post-apocalyptic miniatures, some of them even look just like our characters! Don't forget to give them a look, perhaps you can use them in combination with our game instead of the normal character tokens.
Risks and challenges
The game has been completed in its "virtual" form: all cards and other materials are ready to be printed.
This Kickstarter project is aimed at collecting the necessary funds to actually print the game.
The only problems that can arise are related to the printing and shipping, but the companies that we have engaged to help us with these activities are professional and leaders in their field.
Addionally, we have chosen a conservative delivery date in order to be able to handle any difficulties should they arise. If everything goes according to plan, there is a strong possibility we will send the packages earlier.
The worst thing that could happen is missing/misprinted cards, which we will immediately replace by sending you correctly printed cards via post.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)