This brand new campaign setting draws heavily on the ancient traditions of
the East, taking the world's oldest and most popular roleplaying game into the
feudal lands of Soburin—a realm of peoples trained for magical and martial
warfare, drafted into a conflict they had no stake in.
It has been half a century since the Ceramians and Ropaeo destroyed one another
across the Great Divide, ending the distant War of Kaiyo. With no support from afar
the technologically advanced oppressors of the Kengen Occupation fell to the blades
and spells of Hitoshi Masuto's Soburi forces, raising him to the seat of power due by
But all is not well in Soburin.
Each of the prefectures of Soburin is unique in its own way, controlled by a clan descended from the Imperial Siblings that established the government that still rules today. All have a focus (martial arts, the mastery of magic, or even heretical sciences) but each is different from its peers.
During the occupation all the realms save for the Imperial Prefecture and those belonging to the soldiers of the Battle of Broken Spears were forced to house and control the nonhumanoid peoples of Soburin. For the magical prefectures it was a simple thing to take in the hengeyokai of their clan's ancestral animals, but for others it was less than ideal—the ape-like enjin chaffed at the restrictive lives forced upon them, often fighting with Ikari samurai to cause unrest, and the canny tanuki took their prankster tendencies to truly subversive plateaus of thievery in Shinko.
Mists of Akuma focuses primarily on life in Sanbaoshi, the capital of the Imperial Prefecture (as well as scientific Chikan, the Star of the North, and martial Nagabuki, Gem of the South) but all of the clans are detailed in their beliefs, cultures, and philosophies, informed by their history in the world and the animal their ancestors chose to represent themselves.
The world is far more than the descended clans of the Imperial Siblings however, and the dangers that lay in wait all across Soburin are many indeed.
This 200+ page sourcebook for the D&D 5E RPG is a tour-de-force of wuxia fantasy with a dark, sinister twist: to win is to survive and victories are rarely anything but pyrrhic.
In order to fully realize this rich and diverse world, we're running this Kickstarter project and gathering funds for:
1) Development: Paying a brilliant team of editors, designers, and writers to collaboratively fill in the nitty and gritty details of life in Soburin.
2) Layout: Devoting time to carefully laying out the book so that it is as elegant as the material within.
3) Interior Artwork: Hiring a small army of talented artists to fill Mists of Akuma with as many original illustrations as possible! Initially our goal is low to facilitate a black and white version of Mists of Akuma, but we're hoping you'll help us reach the full-color publication stretch goal before the project ends!
4) Cover Artwork: Getting world class artist Claudio Pozas (known for his work on properties like Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars) to design and illustrate a thrilling new cover that perfectly captures the dark world of Mists of Akuma!
Adventurers are frequently challenged to overcome great obstacles while remaining respectable (increasing their Dignity) or to give in to their inner natures, embracing pragmatism and doing whatever is needed to succeed (increasing their Haitoku or "fall from virtue"). Some of the 8 new character backgrounds can increase or decrease a character's Dignity and Haitoku, and guidelines for how existing backgrounds affect these scores are included as well.
Centuries of warfare between the clans before the rise of the Masuto led to a host of martial and magical disciplines throughout Soburin, There are a total of 17 class options for Fifth Edition within this fantastic tome: Bushibot Martial Archetype, Circle of Blight,
Circle of the Shifter, College of the Gun Priest,
Clockwork Adept Arcane Tradition, Detective Rogue Archetype,
Herbalist Rogue Archetype,
Kami Divine Domain,
Mage Arcane Tradition,
Martial Artist Monastic Tradition, Ninja Rogue Archetype,
Priest Monastic Tradition,
Samurai Sacred Oath,
Shinobibot Rogue Archetype,
Tattooed Monastic Tradition, Tsukumogami Hunter Ranger Archetype, and the Wu-Jen Warlock Pact (with patrons for Summer, Winter, Autumn, and Fall)!
Many different races dwell within Soburin, vying to survive against the Mists of Akuma and scarred by their relations with one another under the Kengen Occupation. There are a total of 27 race and subrace options, ranging from the truly magical to the robotic:
- Three types of Humans: soburi (imbued with magic or martial talent), ceramian (naturally inclined to technology), and ropaeo (born socialites).
- Bakemono: strange oni-kin born from the congealed essence of insects that died in the Mists of Akuma (konchū, kumogatarui, or mure subraces).
- Enjin: physically powerful ape-people from the once vast jungles of southern Soburin.
- Hengeyokai: magical humanoids able to shift from their hybrid bodies into both animal or human forms. Subraces include Inu (Dog), Kitsune (Fox), Kumo (Spider), Kurēn (Crane), Monkī (Monkey), Neko (Cat), and Ratto (Rat).
- Kappa: long-lived shelled reptilian humanoids.
- Mutants: surviving a journey from across the Great Divide and warped by the energies unleashed by the War of Kaiyo.
- Necroji: abominable undead soldiers crafted by Ropaeo necroscientists.
- Oni-Touched: offspring of humans that have been tainted by the Mists of Akuma.
- Psonorous: also from across the Great Divide, these humanoids were made physically weaker by the apocalyptic fallout there but received mental powers in return.
- Pyon: frog people hailing from the swamps and bogs of Soburin.
- Shikome: the brutish result of animals and beasts that fall to the corruption of the Mists of Akuma (blessed and cursed subraces).
- Steametic: artificial humanoids made of metal and crafted by the engineers of fallen Ceramia.
- Tanuki: squirrel-like humanoids from Soburin's forests.
- Tengu: birdmen that live in the cold mountain reaches.
- Umibo: a mysterious race of extremely long lived elemental humanoids infused with the essence of water.
To meet the unique challenges offered by Mists of Akuma there are an eclectic collection of character feats; whether from the unlocked power of an Ancestral Weapon or the curious aid that a Tsukumogami Augmetic can render, you'll find something intriguing in this chapter! There are also progressive martial arts stance feats, introducing exciting new techniques that bring a vivid sense of action to martial adventurers.
In addition to this veritable host of new game material for players and GMs, we're detailing rules for a select number of eastern weapons (like katana and kunai), eastern armors (such as haramaki or o-yoroi), alchemical creations (smokebombs!), enchanted items (like prayer beads), and steampunk equipment ranging from firearms and the grapple launcher to augmetics (electrohearts, fan hands, sword arms, telescopic legs) and more!
Note: Anyone that backs the project at $20 or above will receive access to the Mists of Akuma Playtest at the end of the Kickstarter's funding period!
For every person of the $26 - EARLY VOUCHER BACKER LEVEL or above we're supplying an at-cost voucher for a print copy of Mists of Akuma: your Kickstarter pledge will pay for the PDF and when the book is done, you can get a physical copy for the cost of the ink, paper, glue, and shipping.
Estimate for Mists of Akuma B&W 200 Page Softcover (4/28/2016)
US Printing ($) $5.60 —————|————— UK Printing (£) £4.20
Estimate for Mists of Akuma B&W 200 Page Hardcover (4/28/2016)
US Printing ($) $10.30 —————|————— UK Printing (£) £7.20
* Estimate for Mists of Akuma Standard Color 200 Page Softcover
US Printing ($) $8.16 —————|————— UK Printing (£) £6.22*
Estimated Cost of Mists of Akuma Standard Color 200 Page Hardcover
US Printing ($) $13.21 —————|————— UK Printing (£) £9.44
* Estimated Cost of Mists of Akuma Premium Color 200 Page Softcover
US Printing ($) $21.80 —————|————— UK Printing (£) £15.20
* Estimated Cost of Mists of Akuma Premium Color 200 Page Hardcover
US Printing ($) $26.30 —————|————— UK Printing (£) £18.20
* POD Vouchers for color copies are not available until the color artwork stretch goal is unlocked. Please note: These are estimates from the end of April 2016—the price for ink, paper, glue, and the like fluctuates—and they are likely to change before Mists of Akuma is released. This doesn't include shipping costs or increases to cost from an increased final page count (the price calculator is located here).
Why not have pledge levels for a print book reward?
Mike Myler has run two Kickstarters so far: the Veranthea Codex (his home campaign setting for the Pathfinder RPG) and Hypercorps 2099 (his cyberpunk superhero world for Pathfinder/5E). The latter had a print option and while this was embraced by backers, it forced limitations onto both the creative and development processes of the book that weren't there in the Veranthea Codex. While it's still a wonderful book and fulfills the vision he had for Hypercorps 2099, there was no way for him to completely over deliver and make a book twice the original intended size like he did with Veranthea Codex.
In short: in the interests of making Mists of Akuma the absolute best book it can possibly be, we're focusing on spending our budget entirely on its development.
$6 - Extra POD Voucher for Mists of Akuma
Are you the owner of a Friendly Local Game Store? We want to support you!
At $6 a voucher, you should be able to price and market Mists of Akuma just like you would any other gaming product (with a similar markup for retail). We're also prepared to offer Brick and Mortar support: send us a picture of your customers with their receipt for the book and we'll get them a PDF!
$60 - Mists of Akuma game session
Mike Myler will run a game of Mists of Akuma for you and up to four friends!
This session will be played over Roll20.net, last between 4-6 hours, and can utilize pregenerated characters or PCs made by your group!
$200 - Add your likeness to the book!
Professional gallery artist Indi Martin will make YOU literally a part of Mists of Akuma, including your likeness in one of her illustrations!
If you've ever wanted to be a ninja, samurai, or powerful clan lord, this is your chance!
Help get the word out with these Facebook profile pictures for Mists of Akuma!
Actual Play Videos & Podcasts
Risks and challenges
Many Kickstarters experience unanticipated setbacks, from unanticipated increases in costs to backers dropping out or being delinquent of payment after the Kickstarter has closed, and myriad other issues. We will handle every unexpected issue as they come while at the same time making sure you remain aware of the situation and up to date on the development of Mists of Akuma. You are the reason this fantastic project can happen, and we are keen to make every possible effort to keep you happy and informed from the day you pledge until you receive your rewards! Happy Gaming!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)