Pully - The first magnetic phone mount for bicycles. (Canceled)
Pully - The first magnetic phone mount for bicycles. (Canceled)
Pully is the most compact, beautiful and practical phone mount available today. It's magnetic and was designed to fit any bike/phone.
Pully is the most compact, beautiful and practical phone mount available today. It's magnetic and was designed to fit any bike/phone. Read more
Few things are as good as listening to music, reading messages at quick stops and checking the best way to go on a GPS app while you're riding a bicycle.
Our motivation to develop Pully was born after many frustrated experiences trying to use some other phone mounts. We tested several models and even broken glasses/screens.
Today all options available on the market have many moving parts, connections, settings and use low-quality materials:
Our goal to develop Pully was based on 3 main requirements:
- No moving parts or adjustments;
- Easily removable if needed;
- Practical use: just one hand.
After 6 months of design and testing we got t the following result:
The most notable difference, compared with other models available on the market, is the size:
With a few grams of the magnet, we generated enough force to lift a 16lb watermelon. Most phones on the market weigh between 0.2 and 0.3lb.
Pully is waterproof and there is no need to remove it when parking outdoor. It was designed to go along the daily rush:
One of our main design criteria was to ensure devices would not be affected when exposed to the magnetic field, short or long term. After several studies, we conclude:
The vast majority of phones launched since 2012 has memory, display, processing, battery and touch-screen immune to changes in the magnetic field. Only phones that have the compass feature may have the function affected when close to Pully, but return to normal when distanced. GPS applications like Waze and Google Maps work normally.
If the magnetic field of the permanent magnet was about 85 times, the first affected component would be the speaker that could sound distorted when close to the magnetic field.
We were careful to use as little material as possible. It has 3 main components: magnet (1) a rigid plastic base (2) to fix the cylindrical structure of the magnet to the elastic (3) which embraces the handlebar.
- The magnet shape should be cylindrical so it would not interfere with the desired orientation by the drive: it can easily changed from landscape to portrait without any interference;
- Should be strongest magnet available on the market so you do not need a large mass / volume of the same, which would increase the cost of packaging and shipping.
- It must be hard to tightly fit the magnet.
- Should be adhering to the handlebar so Pully would not suffer any rotation on the handlebar;
- The material should have good mechanical strength and, at the same time, be elastic for easy installation.
We tested several prototypes of different shapes to get the most compact, practical and sturdy design. Development stages were:
- Technical drawing;
- 3D printing and prototyping;
- Machining of the final model;
- Injection mold design.
We selected Neodymium magnet at a N52 Class through the good relationship between attraction force with the mass required. It is currently the most powerful available on the market:
The material chosen for the base is ABS by it's high mechanical and impact resistance, good finish and injection characteristics. Only 4 grams of plastic are used per unit:
The silicone rubber bend was chosen by good resistance to weather variations, toughness and good adhesion to the handlebar. Pully is also compatible with cars and motorcycles:
Notice: Pully is also compatible with a small magnet that comes in the box. You can attach it (3M adhesive) at any surface, including the car's dashboard.
- Weight: 35,0g;
- Thickness: 14.0mm;
- Width: 34,0mm;
- Length: 45,0mm;
- Base Material: injected ABS with glossy finish;
- Elastic Material: 100% transparent silicone;
- Magnet Neodymium N52 Class;
- External Magnet Thickness: 3.0mm;
- External Magnet Diameter: 20,0mm;
- Attraction Plate Thickness: 1.5mm;
- Diameter of Attraction Plate: 40mm;
- Package Dimensions: 35x45x20mm;
- Packaging Weight: 50,0g.
The video was recorded with one of our prototypes. On the final model the steel plate (goes between the cover and the phone) will be thinner than the one displayed here. Plate thickness will go from 2 to 1 mm and the main magnet (inside Pully) will be 3mm thicker. We tested the new combination and it presented better results than the previous ones.
We have been testing the final prototypes everyday in the last 3 months. Also of strength and resistance tests were made to ensure the quality of the Pully even in various terrain and adverse situations.
Despite the great magnetic attraction between the device and Pully, the secret to easily remove is this small rotation:
The elastic absorbs all vibration that would go to the phone if it was a 100% rigid structure.
The compass feature depends on the magnetic field of the earth, so it may have its precision affected while the phone is mounted on Pully. As soon as you separate both, compass goes back to function normally.
Inside the Box:
- 1x ABS base with Super Magnet Neodymium N52;
- 2x transparent silicone elastic bends;
- 1x magnet for external attachment point (car dashboard, for example) with 3M adhesive;
- 1x large galvanized iron plate with 3M adhesive (for mobile);
- 2x small galvanized iron plates with 3M adhesive (for other items).
All units will be assembled, packaged and shipped from our workshop in São Paulo/Brazil. Deliveries will take place in the order of each support.
We estimate we'll need two months after receiving Kickstarter funds to get all units produced, assembled, packaged and delivered.
Pully will be available on the market on March 2017 for the amount of $ 19.99 + shipping, two months after all the rewards were given.
One of the greatest difficulties to enable Pully for an affordable price is the initial investment cost required to manufacture the injection mold, approximately $4,000 representing 61% of the total campaign cost:
- Injection mold: $ 4,000 (61%);
- Production and initial development costs: $ 660 (10%);
- Campaign production online marketing: $ 670 (10%);
- Cost of cutting knives and package manufacturing: $ 650 (10%);
- Kickstarter and Paypal fees: $ 600 (9%).
Right after receiving the funds, we will begin the mold manufacturing and, in about five weeks, we'll start the production, assembly, packaging and deliveries.
We are proud to develop a unique product in the world. We hope that you can help us get this project role and provide the Pully to as many people as possible.
Vela Bikes Team
Any questions, contact us:
Whatsapp: +55 (11) 98147-1352
Los Angeles - CA 90016
Risks and challenges
Our main challenge is to spread the word for most people as possible so we can keep the price low.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)