About this project
Games have come a long way from the days of the beep: Help us to document and share the historical changes in game sound!
Beep will be a ~90-minute film, webisodes + book, including:
- complete history of the sound
- behind the scenes footage
- chiptunes and symphonies
- Tips on getting into the industry + a tribute to Ryu Umemoto
What doesn't make it into the film will become webisodes, shared with our backers. The film will be accompanied by a book that will provide more in-depth material from interviews woven into a history of game sound. We're going to be adding lots of detail that explains the hardware, software, and people involved: it promises to get really nerdy!
We're also going to gather any artefacts that composers or sound designers kept and want to make available to the public, and digitize these. Now is the time to be a part of this history!
In order to make sure we get to interview as many people as possible, we need to do a lot of travelling. And then there's all that fun legal stuff: insurance, permits, accountants, licenses. We'll be putting every dollar we raise back into the film, so the more we raise, the more people we can interview, the sooner we can get the film in your hands, and the greater the film will be!
See full team here.
The following people have confirmed their willingness to be interviewed. How many we can interview will depend on how much money we raise. We will continue working hard to get your favourites on board even after the campaign is over.
- Yoshino Aoki (Mega Man series, Breath of Fire series)
- Clint Bajakian (Monkey Island 2, Maniac Mansion, Unreal 2)
- Neil Baldwin (Jungle Book, James Bond Jr., Hero Quest)
Sean Beeson (Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, many mobile games)
- Thomas Boecker (Concert producer, album producer, STALKER)
- Alexander Brandon (Deus Ex, Unreal, Neverwinter Nights 2, Skyrim, Thief)
- Allister Brimble (100+ Amiga titles, incl. Mortal Kombat, Dizzy series)
- John Broomhall (Transport Tycoon, X-COM series, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series)
- Phil Burk (creator of 3DO Audio system)
- Anders Carlsson (chiptune composer goto80)
- Mike Clarke and Tim Wright (Psygnosis: Lemmings, Wipeout)
- Peter Connelly (Watch Dogs/The Crew, Tomb Raider series)
- Adele Cutting (F1, Harry Potter series, Sim City).
Charles Deenen (Maniacs of Noise: AfterBurner, Golden Axe, Lord of the Rings)
Peter “pdx” Drescher (Walking Dead, games for T-Mobile Sidekick, audio engineer at Kixeye)
- Gordon Durity (SSX Tricky, Def Jam series, FIFA series, Madden NFL series)
- ESTi and Nauts (pioneers of Korean game music: DJMax, TalesWeaver)
- Brad Fuller (Donkey Kong, Millipede, Marble Madness, Indiana Jones, RBI Baseball 2, 3 & 4).
- Motoaki Furukawa (Kukeiha Club, Gradius series, Super Contra, Castlevania 64)
- Martin Galway (Arkanoid, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Times of Lore, Wing Commander 2 & 4, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld)
- Scott Gershin (Last of Us, Forza 5, Resident Evil 6, Skylanders, Crysis, Call of Duty:Black Ops 2)
Alberto Gonzalez (Altered Beast, Ghostbusters 2, Tintin, Smurfs, Turok, Asterix)
Jason Graves (Dead Space series)
Jim Guthrie (Sword & Sworcery, Sound Shapes)
- James Hannigan (Harry Potter series, Dead Space 3, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, Theme Park World)
- Rudy Helm (Quest for Glory 3, developed the GM patch for King's Quest 6, Carmen Sandiego)
- Lance Hayes (Forza 3- 5, Gears of War 3, Xbox Fitness )
- Rich Heimlich(author of official series of books on SoundBlaster)
- Steve Horowitz (co-founder of Game Audio Institute, composer for Sega, Sony and Crystal Dynamics, Nickelodeon)
- Shinji Hosoe (Namco sound director turned SuperSweep music producer: Ridge Racer, Rave Racer, Bushido Blade, Street Fighter EX2,3)
- Chris Huelsbeck (Turrican series, Great Giana Sisters, R-Type)
- Noriyuki Iwadare (pioneer of CD audio: Lunar series, Wing Commander CD, Mega Man X7, Ace Attorney, Kid Icarus Uprising)
- Richard Jacques (Sonic the Hedgehog series, Shinobi X, Sega Rally 2006)
- Raheem Jarbo AKA RANDOM aka Mega Ran (chiptune composer)
- Samuel Justice (Battlefield 4, Dear Esther)
- Damian Kastbauer (Sam and Max series, Peggle 2, Conan, Uncharted 3, Star Wars: Force Unleashed)
- Hiroki Kikuta (Mana series, Shining series, SoulCalibur V, Koudelka)
- Grant Kirkhope (Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye 007)
Frank Klepacki (Command & Conquer series, Dune, Lands of Lore series)
Hideaki Kobayashi (Sega: Phantasy Star series, Sonic series)
- Keiki Kobayashi (Ace Combat series, Soul Calibur series. Super Smash Bros 3DS)
- Seiko Kobuchi (Resident Evil series, Mega Man series)
Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage series, Shenmue, Dragon Slayer series)
- Penka Kouneva (Gears of War 3, Prince of Persia, WoW, Diablo III, Dragon Age II)
- Jesper Kyd (Assassin’s Creed series, Hitman series, Borderlands series)
- Levon Lewis (Transformers, Golden Compass, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood)
- Peter McConnell (Psychonauts, The Bard's Tale, Grim Fandango, The Dig, Plants Vs Zombies 2, Star Wars series)
- Nathan McCree (Tomb Raider 1-3, Silent Hill: Downpour)
- Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Mario Party, Soul Sacrifice series)
- Yuu Miyake (Namco: Katamari series, Ridge Racer, Tekken)
- Frédéric "Elmobo" Motte (demoscene legend and composer for Nightmare Creatures, Gobliins)
- Shota Nakama (artistic director of Video Game Orchestra)
- Takayuki Nakamura (Virtual Fighter series, Lumines series, Kengo series)
- Koichi Namiki (Sega Sound Team (SST) Band; After Burner, OutRun, Daytona USA)
- Manabu Namiki (Battle Garegga, Metal Slug 6, Castlevania ReBirth)
- Graeme Norgate (Goldeneye 007, Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, TimeSplitters series, Crysis series)
- Marty O'Donnell (Halo, Myth, Destiny)
- Hisayoshi Ogura (Taito sound director behind Legend of Kage, Ninja Warriors, Darius series and in-house band Zuntata)
- Winifred Phillips (Assassin's Creed Liberation, God of War, Little Big Planet 2, author of A Composer's Guide to Game Music)
- Jory Prum (Sam and Max series, Walking Dead series, Monkey Island episodics)
- Josh Randall (AKA Robotkid: former creative director at Harmonix)
- Tom Rettig (Broderbund: Carmen Sandiego, Prince of Persia series, Myst)
- Emily Ridgway (lead sound designer at Double Fine, Bioshock, Destory All Humans, Brutal Legend)
Wilbert Roget II (OverClocked ReMix, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Dead Island 2)
- Kai Rosenkranz (Risen, Gothic series)
- Arnie Roth (principal conductor and music director of several Final Fantasy concerts, including Distant Worlds)
- Hideki Sakamoto(Echochrome, Yakuza, Castlevania Judgment, No Heroes Allowed!, Toukiden)
- Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII, Valkyria Chronicles, Vagrant Story, Gradius V)
- Tom Salta (Ghost Recon series, Halo 1 & 2 Anniversary, Need for Speed series, Red Steel)
- George "The Fat Man" Sanger (Wing Commander, 7th Guest, Loom, and author of Tasty Morsels of Sonic Goodness)
Nobuyoshi Sano (Korg DS-10, Tekken series, Ridge Racer series)
- Tenpei Sato ( Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, Valis, the Disgaea series)
- Brian Schmidt (loads of pinball games, NARC, NBA Live 97, creator of GameSoundCon)
- Stephan Schutze (Jurassic Park, Star Trek mobile series, Need for Speed Underground GBA)
Garry Schyman (Bioshock, Destroy All Humans series)
- Tetsuya Shibata (Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil series, Super Smash Bros)
Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II, Kingdom Hearts series, Mario RPGs, Final Fantasy XV, Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana)
- Jeremy Soule (Elder Scrolls series, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur’s Gate, Guild Wars series, Unreal II)
- Yuji Takenouchi (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Metal Gear 2 MSX, D4)
- Tommy Tallarico (Video Games Live, Advent Rising, Earthworm Jim)
- Jeroen Tel ( Maniacs of Noise: Cybernoid, Lemmings C64 Stormlord, OutRun 2, Golden Axe, Viz, Rubicon)
- David Thiel (countless pinball games, Winter Games, and the creator of Q*bert's voice!)
- Chance Thomas (Lord of the Rings Online, Avatar: The Game, Dungeons and Dragons Online, X-Men)
- Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger, Super Smash Bros Brawl)
- Philippe Vachey (Alone in the Dark, Little Big Adventures, Call of Cthulhu)
- Jonne Valtonen (Demoscener (as Purple Motion), concert arranger (e.g. Symphonic Shades/Fantasies/Legends), composer (Death Rally, Wonderland))
- Jeff Van Dyck (Need for Speed series, NHL Hockey and FIFA soccer series)
- Jack Wall (Myst, Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, Call of Duty)
- David Warhol (Loom, Bard's Tale 1 & 2, Neuromancer, Maniac Mansion, Skate or Die, Zak McKracken)
- Guy Whitmore ( No One Lives Forever, Peggle 2, F.E.A.R)
- Alex Wilmer(Tomb Raider series)
David Wise (Donkey Kong Country series, Wizards & Warriors, Star Fox: Adventures, Battletoads)
Nick Wiswell (Forza series, Project Gotham Racing series)
- Devon Worrell (audio architect at Intel)
- Kenny Young (Little Big Planet series, Tearaway)
- Keith Zizza (Lord of the Realm 2, SimCity Societies, Caesar IV)
$45K Multi-language support: Français, Deutsch, Español 日本語字幕!
$50K Extra Japanese interviews.
$53K DVD extra on game music "on record". Thousands of original scores and arranged albums dedicated to game music have been released. We'll interview top record producers, visit album stores in Japan, and meet prolific album collectors.
$55K Soundtrack music licensing: Copyright prevents us from selling songs as part of our soundtrack. With additional funding, we can license songs, and get these onto our soundtrack for you!
$58K DVD extra on game music in concert. Behind-the-scenes at various symphonic, rock, and chiptune concerts.
$60K Professional website management: Professional part-time to help get all the updates and videos up online regularly, so we can focus on creating the film! Ad-free non-Youtube hosting of webisodes.
$70K Everyone on our list! We know this one's a long shot, but with the extra funds, we should be able to travel to everyone on our list!
Note: Final versions may not be exactly as shown.
New! ALL backers $30 & over (including those already pledged) will receive a free digital Beep activity book drawn by comic artist Scott Arnold! For big kids and their kids.
MiniBoss 1: free CD of the Videopac console-inspired Videopacolypz G7002, by Redrum Recordz (not included in Bonus Round 1)
New! Download of the Retro city Rampage soundtrack with Bonus Round 1!
- Tommy Tallarico and Video Games Live
House of Targ arcade in Ottawa, ON
- Stephan Schutze of Sound Librarian
School of Video Game Audio
- Flat Head Dog productions
- Veemix (@Veemixx)
Savalas post-production studios
- Jack Menhorn of Designing Sound
- Chris Greening of Game Music Online
- Jayson Napolitano and Don Kotowski
Risks and challenges
Any ambitious creative venture comes with risks and challenges. Our film will involve managing crews in at least four countries (Japan, England, Canada and USA) and three languages (English, French and Japanese). We recognize the challenges and time constraints that we will face in co-ordinating many people across multiple time zones, especially with busy interviewees who still work in the industry. In fact, we are the kinds of people who thrive on such challenges! We're all people that have co-ordinated, created and completed multi-year, major projects before (whether films, games, books or research projects), and understand what it takes to persevere when the going gets tough!
Our biggest challenge will be obtaining rights to use video/audio from many older games, particularly when companies may have gone out of business and it's unclear who owns the rights. With your help, our funding will enable our researchers to track down rights owners and make these clearances so that we can get your favourite games into our film!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We intend to save the film for the highlights from our interviews. The rest of the interview material will be provided in several formats:
1. video: as a DVD extra and/or webisode series available for everyone to watch the entire interview.
2. book: We will transcribe and include entire interviews in the book, with diagrams, explanations and pictures for you!
The funds we raise will go to the insurance, legal, licensing and travel costs, with all of our crew donating their time to a project that they believe in. We'll be supplementing the Kickstarter money with additional fundraising efforts and our own funds, but we will be able to manage the basic documentary film and book with the budget we've outlined here!
We're going to interview as many people as we can. It takes a long time to set up an interview properly, with the right lighting, background, camera angles, and so on. We can only get a few interviews done in a day, so the more money we raise, the more days we can put in, which means we can interview more people! If you have a favourite person you'd like to see interviewed, please let us know, and we'll do what we can to get to them! The more people you can get to help us out with contributions, the more people we can interview.
Yes! We have now added Blu-Ray. To get a Blu-Ray, select a reward that includes a physical DVD, and add $10 to your pledge! You'll get both the DVD and BluRay.
Support this project
- (46 days)