Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave is a stand-alone expansion to the hit solitaire game from 2015!
A rash of crime is hitting the city. Most crimes don't require a negotiator. But for the ones that do... you get the call.
Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave is completely playable without any other content. So if you don't own the original Hostage Negotiator, you are still getting a fully playable game right out of the box. But having the original as well really brings out the most in this expansion! With new Conversation Cards, new Terror Cards, new Pivotal Events, new Abductors, and new Demands that can all be integrated with the original, your Hostage Negotiator experience will be taken to an all new level! Plus, with a larger box that can easily fit all released content -including the entire original game box- with room for more, you won't have to worry about any storage concerns whatsoever. But you'll still have the portability option of the original for taking on trips!
We are very proud to say that Hostage Negotiator has garnered much praise over the last year and has a very good reputation with the Solitaire community.
2015 Solitaire Game of the Year - 1 Player Guild
2015 Golden Geek Nominee and Runner Up for best Solitaire Game
If you already know how the original plays, you can skip to the next section to find out what is new. But if you're new to the game, here is how it works.
Object of the Game: Your goal as a Hostage Negotiator is to save the hostages and have the crisis end with the Abductor’s capture or elimination. To win, at least half of the hostages must escape with their lives AND the Abductor must be captured or eliminated.
Here is what the game looks like set up on your table...
The Game plays over multiple turns with each turn being comprised of 3 phases.
1. The Conversation Phase - this is where you play and resolve conversation cards from your hand by making a Threat Roll to influence the Abductor's Threat Level, earn Conversation Points, and save hostages. Thematically, this phase represents the back and forth dialogue between you and the abductor. Perhaps a calm conversation... or... a tense and heated exchange depending on the cards played and the results. It could also represent actions such as sending in a field team to extract some hostages while you occupy the abductor.
2. The Spend Phase - this is your chance to spend any Conversation Points you may have earned in the Conversation Phase. Similar to a deck building game you will buy cards from the available area on the table, but in this game all the cards you buy go directly into your hand for use in the next or another future turn. Thematically this represents the conversational equity you've built up with the Abductor by influencing her (or him!) and/or keeping her on the phone longer so you and your command can plan a potential use of force!
3. The Terror Phase - this is where you will draw and resolve a Terror Card. In general, bad things will happen putting pressure on the Threat Level or worse... losing one or more hostages. Thematically this represents the Abductor's (or sometimes another individual such as a hostage's) actions between conversations. Maybe the Abductor decides he/she is angry or that you are not listening to his demands. Or maybe a hostage attempts to escape! The number of cards in the Terror Deck are limited to represent the ticking of the clock... after all, the Abductor has only given you a limited amount of time to meet his/her demands! The above is only a general summary of play, but we hope it gives you a good idea of the game. There are other details not discussed here such as Demands, the Pivotal Event Terror Card, the 2nd in Command, and more!
We strongly suggest you take a look at the FULL RULES for the game by clicking the image below.
(Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave rules were not able to be posted during the campaign much to our regret, but we will share them as soon as possible. Core rules are basically the same as the original with some slight tweeks and modifications for Crime Wave.)
The Box - Normally not much is said about the box, but the box for the original can barely fit the current content. So the larger Crime Wave box complete with custom insert to keep all of your cards organized is really a big selling point. Additionally, the box will be sized to accommodate sleeved cards.
Custom Labeled Dividers - The dividers won't simply be generic, but will be labeled by card type so that you can quickly and easily sort all of your Hostage Negotiator content.
New Oversized Player Board - The player board has been expanded significantly with a new design. The additional real estate will help you more easily track your hostage negotiating sessions.
Larger Custom Dice - The custom dice have been enlarged from 16mm to 18mm, because bigger is better (especially when it comes to chucking dice!).
New Hostage Meeple Designs - The game now comes with two designs - one male and one female - and 10 of each will be included in the box.
Screen Printed Alert Tokens - Tokens that remind you of triggered effects in the game. Many effects of cards in this new set trigger well after they are first revealed.
New Cards that use the familiar core rules of HN, but will force you to change how you approach the game.
Rules for combining Conversation Cards into one set
Rules for combining Terror Cards into one set
*Kickstarter Exclusive for this project means not to be sold except by the publisher for promotional purposes which may include Conventions, direct from the publisher's website, or other promotional forums.
We are very excited to offer the next 3 Abductor Packs. Each of the new packs is from an acclaimed designer. These packs extend the game each adding new mechanisms and big challenges. All packs are compatible with both HN and Crime Wave.
A cult has turned to violence to push its agenda and to garner more attention. Many in the cult are as much victims as they are culprits. How will you handle the situation when the Abductors are also the Hostages? Find out in this thrilling pack.
Clyde Seaver's life is in shambles. His wife left him and in fear of losing his 2 children he's kidnapped them with the help of his loyal sister, Tina. She has the kids hidden in Becker Swamp and you have to negotiate with the suicidal Clyde and buy your team time to find the kids.
Valerie Stone was another negotiator who was constantly competing with you, but never garnered the accolades or had the level of success that you did. Ultimately it became too much for her and she's decided the only way to prove she is better than you is to force you to negotiate with her... and she knows just how to accomplish that.
*If you are interested in multiple copies of a pledge level, please contact the project creator via the KickStarter messaging system.
Due to incredibly popular demand, we're now offering these add-ons to our backers. Simply increase your pledge by the appropriate amount and we'll sort it all out after the campaign ends.
We are not offering the Metallic Dice as part of this Kickstarter, but for those interested in the Metallic Dice you can get them from our partners at Javelin Dice. If you require international shipping you will need to contact them directly for a quote.
"The nuance of the cards is what really sets Crime Wave apart from its predecessor." ~ Rob Rich
Here is a quote from Rich Sommer (actor on Mad Men and awesome ambassador for Board Gaming) about Hostage Negotiator:
"My favorite solo game of last year. I truly love it. It travels with me whenever I leave town." ~ Rich Sommer
And here is a great Video of the Original Hostage Negotiator from none other than Richard Ham, aka Rahdo Runs Through
We are knocking stretch goals out left and right! But to be honest, we haven't even revealed some of the more exciting goals yet...
As with all of our campaigns, we stand behind our products 100% and if you are unhappy with the game, you may return it for a refund up to 30 days after receiving it. We appreciate you being a first adopter and your ultimate satisfaction is most important to us.
This project is brought to you by:
OUR MISSION: Van Ryder Games LLC is an independently owned and operated board game publisher that seeks to publish the best thematic games in the industry by creating amazing experiences, creating lasting connections with our customer base, and producing continuous revenue and profit growth.
Special Thanks: Jessica Porfirio and Kristena Derrick for all your love and continued support. Chase Williams, for another awesome Video production. All the amazing play testers, there are too many to name, but especially Mike Martins for all the time and effort you put in toward making Crime Wave and the Abductor Packs the best they can be.
Risks and challenges
Van Ryder Games has successfully funded and fulfilled several projects. We learn more and more with each experience. Our goal is to get the games to you, our supporters, as quickly as possible.
There are the usual risks of printing, shipping, customs, and other unintended delays, but you can be sure we will do everything we can to deliver the games to you as promised.
A few remarks we want to share with you regarding our approach for our projects, including this one.
1. Communication is of the utmost importance to us. Please ask any and all questions and we will answer as quickly as possible.
2. We have planned out the goals for this project, but feel strongly about not overextending ourselves for the sake of more $. If we are so fortunate to run through our planned stretch reward offerings prior to the end of the project we will not add more on the fly. This will help us stay within our capabilities, our budget, and the timeline for delivery. You don't have to look far for other projects that overextend; which only ties up more backers' money and delays delivery.
3. Your comments and feedback are REALLY important to us. If you have an idea, concern, or compliment, please share it with us! We can't promise to implement every idea that comes our way, but we will certainly consider each one!
4. We pledge to keep a positive attitude regardless of the success or failure of this project.
5. To have fun! Kickstarter projects can be stressful, but these are games and the most important thing is to have FUN!
- (23 days)