It always seems like you never have the tool that you need when you need it, often because you can't always carry all the tools that you need. Our pockets also seem to always be filled with cell phones, wallets, keys, etc., leaving not much room for tools, but that odd little 5th pocket in jeans that used to be used for pocket watches is always empty... So, earlier this year we made a few of these as prototypes and sold the extras in one day.,,,they were a hit. This tool easily fits in your fifth pocket and is extremely useful and it looks cool.
We originally sketched out this design on our iPad and then mocked it up with our 3D printer. When we were satisfied with the 3d prints, we had the design waterjet cut. We originally were going to call it the Reactor Hex tool because of the way it looked, but decided to change the name to reflect its true design intent. At this point we did an extremely limited release of the extra 4 prototypes to see if people liked them. They sold out almost immediately. After several months of use, we realized a few things with the original design that we wanted to change. This included the bottle opener's position and orientation, the size of a few holes, and of course we decided to make it out of titanium. The new Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool was the result of these changes.
The 5th Pocket Hex Tool has some great features:
- Made in USA
- Its TITANIUM! (They make replacement body parts out of this stuff)
- It works as a wrench for 4 common imperial hex bolt sizes and a second version will be metric.
- The center hex slot fits a screwdriver bit.
- It opens bottles.
- You can use it as a scraper, pry tool, and flat blade screwdriver.
- It can be laced up with a paracord or leather lanyard so that its easy to retrieve from your pocket.
Check out this short demo video of The 5th Pocket Hex Tool in action.
The Rewards are as follows and shown above.
Earlybird backers will receive a stone tumbled Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool that has been laced up with a lanyard.
- Stone Tumbled Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool.
- Stone Tumbled Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool with lanyard.
- Flame colored Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool.
- Flame colored Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool with lanyard.
Upon successful funding we will send out a survey to allow backers who chose a lanyard option to pick the color they want.
New Reward Option!
Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool With Lanyard and new Titanium End Cap.
Price after kickstarter $20 each!
We are giving a discount for kickstarter as a combo deal they only are an additional $15!
$55 - Stone tumbled Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool with titanium end cap and lanyard.
$60 - Flame colored Titanium 5th Pocket Hex Tool with titanium end cap and lanyard.
The knot on paracord is one of those things that has always bugged us. That is why we came up with this solution, a titanium cap that clamps on to the paracord ends and connects them without a knot.
- $1250 level - Metric version. All backers will be able to choose between metric or imperial. -Unlocked
- $1500 level - Tumbled with Flame Color finish will be available for backers who backed one of the flame anodized options.
1750 level - "Brushed" finish will be available for backers who backed one of the flame anodized options.
- NEW 3000 level- All backers will receive a surprise free gift for all your help!
Disclaimer: Unlike the popular belief, Titanium is not some super material, though it is quite awesome, It can scratch, ding, dent, break if it is subject to harsh treatment, but it does work fine as a pocket tool. (Even high end screwdrivers, scrapers, and wrenches ding and dent.)
Risks and challenges
We have worked with this waterjet manufacturer and have talked about lead time and we see no reason we wouldn't be able to produce within this time frame, however things can always go wrong so it is a possibility.
The other possible delay would be if we get a crazy amount of backers (that would be awesome) because we are just a small company and there is only so many pieces we can grind daily. If we get a large order, the manufacturer has let us know that they may be able to help.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)