About this project
If you've ever worn a bra at any point in your life, you've probably experienced one of following:
- straps digging or slipping
- band sliding, riding or restricting
- pinchy underwire or aching ribs
- mysterious back or shoulder pain
- the desire to rip off your bra the second you get home
But going without, you feel self-conscious. Maybe you've tried a bralette, but the small/medium/large sizing didn't work for your shape. Perhaps you've looked at bralettes (and their effortless glamour) longingly, but assumed you could never wear one. Maybe you love sleeping in soft styles, but don't feel you can wear one out of the house.
Our mission at Uye Surana is to put an end to all of that. We are bringing joy back to lingerie by bringing more people bralettes – comfortable, beautiful and supportive bralettes.
To be short and sweet: amazing & thoughtfully developed design, plus our determination to help support everyone who wants to wear pretty underthings.
Uye Surana bralettes are not your average lacy little thing. They're packed with luxury details and technical features, crafted to give every body comfort, lift, and a relaxed fit.
Each of our styles includes:
- band/cup sizing. This means they fit YOUR specific body type, no matter what. Don't worry about being sized out, either – our core sizes go from 28-38 A-G, plus we offer free custom sizing & personalized fit advice.
- fully adjustable straps & hook-back closures – essentials from traditional bra design that keep elastic strong and supportive through prolonged, everyday wear
- Reinforced Underwing Support (patent pending) – specially cut and applied design that keeps you “in” and “up” in the cup. Completely wire-free, flexible support system without the annoyance and fit issues of underwire or moulded cups
- clever, innovative & expertly developed shapes and silhouettes to achieve different styles and levels of fit, lift, and support
- meticulously cut luxe laces (sourced & manufactured locally) ++ airy fabrics – breathable mesh, silks hand-dyed in-house, reclaimed deadstock finishings & more
- sustainably made, conscious construction with the kind of attention to detail that can only be achieved by handmaking lingerie
Did we mention that they're pretty? They're really, really pretty, and they're comfortable, and they come in your size.
To be honest? We are a tiny team, and as more and more people discover the magic of U.S., we need to grow! We love handcrafting our bralettes one-by-one – it's what enables us to really perfect the fit and give excellent customer service for each and every person who discovers us. We couldn't pull it off if we moved any of our production to a factory. So to keep up the meticulous level of craftsmanship & service we love to provide, we need to expand our super-small and efficient production team.
You see, it's kind of a win-win for U.S. & you. We get to organize our production of these Kickstarter styles differently so we can make them more quickly & affordably. You get to enjoy our usual beautiful handmade craftsmanship, at a nice discount from our usual retail. You support us, we support you. And the U.S. team gets to work on even more projects that make everything we do even better. Let's check out the rewards first, then read below to learn more about our specific funding goals!
Here are all of the reward tiers you can enjoy for pledging to our Kickstarter! Remember, you can pledge any amount you like, and redeem any reward below the amount you pledged.
You may only redeem one reward, but we're offering add-on items so you can redeem extra treats (such as our Simple Panties @ $20 each.) To redeem an add-on item, edit your pledge according to the instructions for add-ons below. If you need help making or organizing your pledge, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll walk you through the process.
Be sure to keep an eye on your email after you pledge! We will collect your sizing information, color preferences, and shipping address via email after the campaign is over. Always be sure that the email account linked to your Kickstarter account is active & receiving mail!
That's all there is to it! Here are the rewards by tier. For more style specifics and photos, read below. Size charts are also below!
Complete your set or grab an extra panty with an add-on! It's super easy to do. First, make your pledge. Then, come back to this page. At the top of the page, there's a green banner that says "You're a backer." Just underneath that, click the blue button that says "Manage Pledge." Simply add the price of the add-on items you'd like to the amount of your original pledge. And there you have it! We'll be in touch after the campaign to learn which style and size you need.
Looking for more specific style information? Read on below our goals!
- Expand our in-house production team so we can keep providing customized fits, our really really short shipping window, a great exchange policy & excellent customer service.
- Keep our designs handmade in-house and source local & quality materials, to keep serving our signature meticulous details & fit.
- Keep expanding our size range. We currently offer custom sizing for people who don't fall into our core size chart, but the turnaround time for custom orders is longer as we have to take extra steps to hire fit models, make small design changes and grade our patterns before crafting custom pieces. We would love to cut down on the wait time for band and cup sizes outside of our core, so one of goals is to fund these added production costs up-front to bring these sizes in officially for 2017. We want to add more sizes to our core more quickly while maintaining our high standards for fitting.
- Hire more models of different sizes & ethnicities to show off more of our styles. We are super committed to representing all of our customers in our promotional materials. However, as a super small team, our resources are often stretched quite thin and we don't have the breathing room to schedule, source, hire, and test the models we'd like to invite into our images -- especially since we believe in paying models fairly for their work. The funds from our Kickstarter campaign will give us a cushion to devote more of our time and energy to creating images that represent more of our customers.
- Create more ready-to-ship items in a wider size range and have more items available & in stock. This will make sure fewer of our customers have to wait for our production window, which makes it more convenient to shop for events and gifts. This will also make our exchange & fitting process much smoother and easier for customers who are between sizes!
- Design more frequently throughout the year. This includes more affordable and accessible options for loungewear and panties, but will also help us to continue creating new, innovative, and comfortable options throughout our line.
- Even more stretch goals we'd like to accomplish! Stay updated on our campaign by backing us now to keep up. We'll be revealing these goals during the campaign!
Need more pictures? Check our website for alternate views & the full lookbook. Feel free to reach out to us through email, Kickstarter, phone, or site chat if you have any questions about the styles or how to make a pledge!
Special thanks: our models Stella, Raji, Tiffany, Mel, and Lana; Silent Partner for providing music for the video; Ari Kaplan for doing everyone's makeup and being super talented; Greg Loser from Room 5 Films for editing the sound for our video; and all of our friends, family, followers and fans for supporting us!
Risks and challenges
There are always risks and challenges when it comes to production. Thankfully, we are uniquely positioned as a brand in complete control of its development, from design to production. Because we produce everything in-house, there are no factory tie-ups and middle men to throw obstacles in our way. There's no miscommunicating on patterns and measurements; there's no mysterious fulfillment center where stock can disappear. We've already got several years of business under our belt, so we know how to handle our own production (because we handle that AND every other aspect of our business ourselves!)
Really close customer service is one of our favorite things, so don't worry -- our backers will be receiving tons of updates, notes, photos, Snap stories, and the like as we move forward. If even the slightest of delays turn up for any reason, you'll be the first to know.
Should we vastly exceed our goal, we are prepared to scale production. Actually, we would love the opportunity to. It would simplify a lot of our daily goings-on here at the studio!
One concern might be how we plan to handle expanding our team. Good news: we both have several years of experience managing and training interns and assistants. The structure of our company is well prepared to handle new additions!
Larger scale -- since we've gone over our confidence in fulfilling our rewards, we just want to mention we're also very confident about the goals we've set for ourselves with this campaign. They are all projects that are in process at the studio already, to varying extents, and we'll be keeping you updated on how they continue to develop before and after your rewards are sent out.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)