What Gran Reserva consists of:
- A box made of metallic card stock, with a double layer and laser cut design. Note that both layers and the entire box will be metallic card stock.
- IMPORTANT: This is a concept and it's subject to minor changes, which I'll be updating you about along the way.
- A signed and hand numbered deck.
- 5 extra cards depicting Spanish characters and suits and different back. The 330gsm Superior smooth card stock will be used for these extra cards.
- Both NOUVEAU and BOURGOGNE are available to choose between (you can add both). The colours used for the box will depend on the deck you choose.
- The price is $60 + $10 (shipping worldwide). You can add one of each, in which case you'll be paying for only one shipping of $10 ($60 + $60 + $10).
- It will be mailed from Barcelona, Spain (so it will be separate from the main decks).
- **NEW**: Signed and hand numbered ribbon + handmade custom wax seal
***IMPORTANT***Note that no more than 50 decks of each will be available. Once 50 of each edition are sold, that version will be marked "SOLD OUT!" and we'll post an update letting backers know about it and no further orders will be taken.
***IMPORTANT***Please, PM us after you've increased your pledge and if you just add one Gran Reserva deck, make sure to specify which one do you want.
NOUVEAU Playing Cards is inspired by the historical and mythological heroes and heroines traditionally featured in the French playing cards since the 16th century. The art style and design pay tribute to the philosophical and artistic trend Art nouveau, promoted and popularized in France in the late 19th century.
NOUVEAU, chosen as the official United Cardists 2016 Annual Deck, is a custom deck of playing cards (poker size) designed by Bona fide Playing Cards and manufactured by Expert Playing Card Company.
- 100% Custom playing cards deck
- Limited Edition (one printing, never to be reprinted)
- Poker size
- 54 cards
- Printed by EPCC
- Master Finish quality
- Official United Cardists 2016 Annual deck.
- King of Diamonds as Roman leader Julius Caesar
- Queen of Diamonds as the biblical character Rachel
- Jack of Diamonds as the Greek mythological hero and prince Hector
- King of Clubs as the Greek King Alexander the Great
- Queen of Clubs as Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Jack of Clubs as the legendary Knight Sir Lancelot
- King of Hearts as the King Charlemagne
- Queen of Hearts as the biblical character Judith
- Jack of Hearts as the French military commander Étienne de Vignolles (aka La Hire)
- King of Spades as the biblical King David
- Queen of Spades as the Greek goddess Pallas Athena
- Jack of Spades as the legendary character Ogier the Dane
Our jokers represent Pierrot and Harlequin (both stock characters in the Italian Comedia dell’arte) popularized in Paris in the late 19c.
Regarding the meaning of the suits, we can find just as many theories as for who the court cards represent. We decided on one of the most spread ones regarding the original French suits, where Spades were believed to represent nobility, Hearts the clergy, Diamonds the merchants and Clubs the commoners and the peasantry.
As for the art style, we thought something of French inspiration was the best idea as we’re paying tribute to the original French deck. It was a hard decision, taking into account that France was always known as a place of artistic reference, so after some thought we chose to use one that was popular during the 19th century: Art Nouveau
Art Nouveau is a style of decorative art, architecture and design promoted and popularized in Paris in the late 19th century and characterized by intricate linear designs and flowing curves based on natural forms.
- $10,000 NOUVEAU Deck -- REACHED!
- $15,000 NOUVEAU BOURGOGNE Deck -- REACHED!
- $18,000 NOUVEAU Deck Embossing -- REACHED!
- $20,000 NOUVEAU BOURGOGNE Deck Foiling -- REACHED!
NOUVEAU & NOUVEAU BOURGOGNE COMPARISON
NOUVEAU Playing Cards - United Cardists 2016 Annual Deck REVIEW by Magic Orthodoxy https://youtu.be/jKVsfXM3WtA
You can also follow Bona fide Playing Cards on:
Separately from this campaign, UC now offers the Carat™ Card Cases used to display special playing card decks (including the Nouveau Prototype offered for $65) in our "Offers" section on the website. These crystal clear acrylic cases make your vintage, antique and unique decks look fabulous! This offer is available to everyone, not just UC members here: http://UnitedCardists.com/ucoffers.php
Averaging only $7 each, discounts available on larger orders. Shipping (at cost) both domestic US and overseas always by Priority Mail.
Here are some examples of decks housed in Carat™ Card Cases:
Risks and challenges
This is our first playing cards project and, like any other product, there always were, are and will be risks bringing it onto the market. However, we are positive our hard work and dedication will bring this project to life, making it the first in a long list of decks created by Bona Fide Playing Cards.
Note: the pictures and renderings show the best true colors intended, but slight variances between the RGB (computer pictures) and CYMK (printing process used for playing cards) may occur.
About the production and delivery: Once and if the project is backed, there can always happen unforeseen complications during the production and delivery process. Taking that into account, we've left a generous amount of time to ensure the production and delivery of all the items without delay. The deck will be printed by Expert Playing Card Company and fulfilled by Gamblers Warehouse. The delivery date is estimated and it depends on the company as the artwork is already finished, even if it’s subject to some changes during the campaign. In any case, we’ll be updating our backers about the process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)