Suspended soups: As of Monday lunchtime we are on 440 suspended soups. From now until the evening every new pledge adds a suspended soup to the total. Can we make it to 450?
Still some great rewards left; check out the "soup party" an exclusive hire of the cafe for an evening for up to 6 people for just £120.
Care Van Upgrade Stretch Goal: £12,500. Succeeded
We have now increased the amount of free soup we provide to the Care Van to 150 litres per month in perpetuity.
So what's this all about then?
In October 2011, I opened a small soup-cafe in Edinburgh with just me and one part-timer. Three and a half years later, Amy’s still here but now we employ 11 people helping us to supply over 30 cafes plus our own cafe and Dumbo the soup van with handmade, hand-finished, small-batch soup.
Now a chance to expand has come up and I need your help to make my dream a reality:
- to supply soup across Edinburgh in the greenest way I know: by bicycle
- to train and employ more people in producing what we have been told is the “best soup in Scotland”
- and to develop our soup for retail sale in local delis and grocers.
We have outgrown our current kitchen. Instead of moving into new premises a very rare chance has come up. A few weeks ago our next-door neighbours moved out, and our landlord has offered the empty unit to us provided we move in straight away.
We don’t have much time to get the money together. We can raise most of it ourselves but we need help to get all the way. So we’re turning to you to help us take soup to the next level.
What we're hoping to spend the money on is:
Walk-in cold room: this is a 2m by 4m walk-in facility. Working with a local engineer we're reclaiming a disused coldroom and installing it.
New blast chiller. We need a third to ensure that all soup can be chilled within a short time.
Upgrading the space to meet with health and safety specifications plus installing three-phase power.
As you can see, there's a lot of work to be done but it if we get funded we can get started immediately so we're ready for the autumn.
Sharing the soupy love
- If the Kickstarter succeeds, for each backer who pledges we will add suspended soup to the total.
We thought long and hard about this because we never expected to do any more Kickstarters. But the last one enabled us to do much, much more than we expected.
In just two years, thanks in large part to the Kickstarter we have:
- increased the independent cafes we supply from 10 to over 30;
- donated 3,000 litres of soup for free to the Edinburgh Care Van for homeless people in Edinburgh since April 2013;
- started a suspended coffee and soup scheme to provide free soup and coffee for those that need it;
- helped The Real Junk Food project get established in Edinburgh by providing our cafe free of charge on Sundays so that they can offer intercepted food on a pay as you feel basis for their pop-up;
- diverted tonnes of waste from landfill through using Vegware compostable packaging exclusively
- established a low-carbon delivery system for our soups using our custom made electric cargo bike
- and taken our soup on the road with Dumbo, our classic Citroen soup van.
All about soup
- Potage Crecy: a classic French spring carrot soup
- Celtic Kelpie: chicken with almond, kale and dulse (seaweed)
- Dan Dan Noodle: Szechuan-spiced pork and peanut noodle soup
- Chorizo y adobo: sweet potato and chorizo soup with adobo spicing
- The Soup of Ezo the Bride: a hearty, vegan paprika broth with bulgar wheat and mint.
Growing the right way
All about Kickstarter
- Suspended soup. For every pledge, even a £1 pledge for no reward, we will add a suspended soup to the total. We're hoping, if the Kickstarter succeeds, to raise over 400 suspended soups this way. Each suspended soup is one free soup and bread for someone in need.
- Soupon. You can choose any soup, salad or even Dumbo’s vegan chilli from the menu for free when you come to Dumbo or the cafe. Like all pledges we will add a suspended soup to this reward so it’s one soup for you and one for one of Edinburgh's homeless.
- Suspended Soupon. If you choose to suspend your soupon we will match it 1 for 1. What's more we will add the usual suspended soup to every pledge. To give you an idea of what this means: 1 suspended soupon = 3 suspended soups; a suspended soupy dozen = 25 suspended soups; a suspended silver soupon = 105 suspended soups.
- t-shirt and tea-towel. This features a lino-cut image of a "soup deity" by Mattysloe: soupmonger and artist in the same style as his vegetable deities. Check out the avocado deity.
- Picnic time. You can choose any soup or salad for this. You could even pick up your kit from the cafe and take it to Dumbo for a vegan chilli. Plus you get bread, fruit (or a snack) and a soft drink as well as the jute bag and soup pod to keep. As this is a Kickstarter reward you can choose any soft drink from the chiller: I recommend the Elderflower presse. And of course like all pledges, we’ll add a suspended soup to the board.
- The soup party. In this reward you get a use of the cafe for an evening or Sunday afternoon. We’ll design a menu for you and your friends. It doesn’t have to be just soup; we do a wide range of meals, salads and all sorts of tasty treats. You’ll get at least a 3 course meal and soft drinks. You can even BYOB and BYOMusic if you like. Fewer than 6 of you? We’ll add some extras we think you’ll very much enjoy and ensure that you get an unusual night out to remember.
- The soup comes to you. We have catered for weddings and events on Dumbo many times. What we’ll do is work with you to create a special menu for a special event. To give you an idea of the kind of thing we could do; here is a menu we have just designed for an event with 80 adults and 20 children.
- Lamb tagine with almond and date, served with harissa flatbreads and corn couscous
- Moroccan-spiced corn couscous with roast butternut and goat's cheese salad
- Paprika chicken with roast cherry tomatoes, green beans and spelt salad
- Vegan chilli served with grated cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips
- We'll be going all out to ensure that we make this a very special event for you.
- The ultimate. As well as all the rewards this is also your chance, if you wish, to become involved with us behind the scenes. Some of you may remember the “soup maestro” reward from the last Kickstarter. Our maestro comes and goes as he wants; helps us with business ideas and is involved in our planning. He continues to be a great friend to us. We hope, if someone wishes to become our khaleesi that you will want to be involved in helping us grow in the right way.
Notes and queries
- To Brendan MacNeill for the video and photographs good enough to eat.
- To Dan Pugsley for composing the music for us.
- To Amy, Sarah and Jani for their hard work in putting this together.
- To Dan W. for some amazing eyebrow acting.
- To Rob Clark and Cassie Mayo for being lovely customers.
- To Danielle Ellis for truly sterling support
- To Blythe Robertson for general awesomeness
- To the backers of our last Kickstarter for showing such faith in us.
- And to YOU, lovely you, for reading all the way to the bottom. We love you all but we love YOU the best.
Risks and challenges
We have set this project up to minimise the risks. The unit we are leasing is in shell condition and there are no planning objections to its use. We have over three years worth of successful trading behind us and the rewards will be met through the cafe and Dumbo. If you back us you know you will be able to receive your rewards. We successfully delivered our last Kickstarter and have learned how to simplify rewards to reduce the risk delay: I'm looking at you, t-shirts. There is always the risk of unforeseen circumstances but there is a team of 3 of us working on this Kickstarter and plenty of other resources to apply it if needed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (24 days)