Ancient Citiesis aSurvival and Strategy City Builder game, based on ancient times, currently being developed by Uncasual Games.
Starting in the Neolithic era, you will have to guide your people through generations, discovering and improving technologies, managing resources and population, facing threats from raiders and Mother Nature herself. And, ultimately, building the most fantastic city of antiquity through the ages in a fully simulated world and ecosystem.
When released, the game will be available for PC Windows, other platforms to be determined.
* As you can check in the pledge chart, only Chief, Lord, Shaman & Deity will get unlocked expansions. Any other unlocked stretch goal is for every game owner.
* Exclusive KS DLC : Unique building so everyone will know that you are a Kickstarter backer (it will not affect gameplay).
* "Deity", "Shaman", "Beloved Chief" and "Lordx2" will get 2 game keys and 2 beta access.
* "Deity", "Shaman" and "Beloved Chief" will have beta access preference.
* Uncasual Pass Includes all games, expansions and DLCs that Uncasual Games may release in the future.
*Please note that "Chief VIP", "Chief Artbook" and "Chief OST" are now obsolete because "Lord" offers more for the same price. If you have one of these pledges, consider moving to "Lord". Anyway you will be granted "Lord" rewards if the funding goal is achieved.
We love tech, strategy games, history, archaeology and cities. We dream, as you do, with a gorgeous strategy city simulator, focused in history and realism, that lets the player develop its city through the ages in a credible and immersive way.
This sounds too ambitious? Definitely. But we think everything can be done, if you move steady, step by step.
The solution is to not even try to do it all at once, but to build each time-frame and location as a full expansion over one common platform, with all the content, from assets to game-play features, needed for that historical simulation. As a whole,Ancient Cities is a long-term project.
If successful, we expect Ancient Cities to become a powerful game platform for next developments, moving us more and more into the realms of history, exploring different places and ages around the world with you: Bronze Age, Mighty Ur, Classic Greece, Egypt, Rome or Middle Ages.
Let's dream. Join us if you want ;)
We have chosen to start at the origin of cities, in the late Neolithic era, because it was logic and highly suitable for the project; New eras introduce new gameplay and game features different from the previous ones, just as in real life.
We are developing our own custom engine and gaming technology for Ancient Cities because it allows us to render what we envision: thousands of items on the screen at the same time with nice fps, offering the players breathtaking images of their cities. Both, game-play and detail, are important to us.If you share our vision, this is a great opportunity to make it happen.
We are already working on it!
This project started as a project of two friends, one coder and one artist, both with passion for technology, video-games and history. Both with a long career, years of expertise in custom 3D engines and full of new ideas.
We consider to use Unity or UDK for AC in the beginning, but we realized that AC requirements needed a custom technology focused on managing thousands of entities in the screen. For us this was a new challenge in our careers, and we love that.
We have been developing the technology behind Ancient Cities and AC Neolithic working full time in our own homes for more than a year, running on our own funds.
We believe in what we are doing, and truly love it.
Two more people, a programmer, and a sound designer, have joined us recently as they love the project as much as we do.
In the last months, we decided to start showing our work while growing a community around the game.
We started our "almost" daily development updates on our twitter account @_AncientCities. You should take a look there if you really want to know us, the project, and a small but wonderful community ;)
With this community supporting us and the game progressing well, but still in early alpha, we decided to try Steam Greenlight before it shut down.
What happened there was completely unexpected, it was the best reward for all our efforts to date:
In the last 4 days of Greenlight the game skyrocketed #2 position, with a 95% of positive votes and hundreds of nice comments.
You can check our Greenlight page here:
Currently, the game is in the early alpha stage. This means that only some of the final features are implemented and almost none of them are finished or polished.
But we have done lot of work: we have built the basis of the tech and gameplay, both still unfinished but beyond the prototype stage.
There is a ton of work ahead in order to add all the content we have planned so we need your help to grow and to ensure an on-time and polished release, while keeping our creative freedom.
Kickstarter seems the way to achieve this with your help.
We analysed other Kickstarter projects to design our and we saw lots of small physical gifts to improve the pledges, early alphas and so on...
However, we are a small team. We want to spend our time improving the game for you, designing, coding, modelling, animating and texturing... not selling you cups or T-shirts.Managing physical gifts is very time consuming.
So we are offering only digital rewards, like a backer exclusive content ( Includes an unique building that does not affect gameplay ).
Why not an early alpha pledge?
Lots of people asked for an early alpha access. We know you want to play the game right now, but this would imply tons of community management and technical support. This effort, dedicated to keep people playing instead of evolving the game features towards release specifications, could seriously compromise the project.
Of course there will be an alpha when the time comes, we need it to improve the game, but we need it to be very controlled.
An alpha is a development stage, not a product to sell.
In addition, we consider that the game should be played as intended, and current status does not represent what we have in our minds and in our design sheets.
We really hope you all to understand our decision about this Kickstarter pledges; We have decided to reward your help with what we set out to make; a better game.
What kind of pledge are we offering?
What we are offering to you is the game itself, finished, completed and polished with a discount on final price ( 40€ ), and a mention in the game credits as a backer in AC game platform. A backer's especial section in the game website is planned too.
Of course, we will continue with our daily development updates, with frequent gameplay videos about new features to keep you up-to-date at every moment until the game is done.
10 top backers will hold a distinguished place in the backer’s section in the game credits and on the website.
No mention that we will be always open to discuss gameplay ideas and features with you.
If you support us beyond the project funding goal, we will employ those additional resources to grow our studio in order to do the work faster and get a better game.
If enough funding is secured, you will be helping develop future expansions for the Ancient Cities platform, The Bronze Age expansion and further pledges will be unlocked when we reach stretch goals.
In addition, you can unlock platform features that will improve your experience in the base game and future expansions such as natural disasters, hydraulic simulation, different biomes and so on. These features will be available as free updates for everyone in the months after the final release.
The game is a city/world simulation where you can change time progression from normal speed to several time-lapse velocities.
This is what we already have, but still to be polished:
- In house 3D render technology and UI.
- Procedural world generation.
- Simulated day and night cycles.
- Simulated seasonal cycles.
- Weather simulation based on real data.
- Wild animal life and plants cycle of life.
- Farming system.
- Step-by-step structure building and effects.
- Resource collection and storage.
- Family tree for citizens.
- Character attributes.
- AI to some extent, including path finding, job selection...
- Citizen basic needs like eat, drink, sleep or rest.
- Tech system.
- Some items of each type to test the tech ( plants, animals, buildings... )
- Decay of resources and buildings.
Final Release Features
Configure your gameplay enabling combat and natural disasters or simply relax building your beautiful city.
- Discover the lands around you sending out exploring parties.
- Factions: oher tribes competing for resources, power and alliances.
- Cities: Populated places where you can trade or raid, with their own religion, culture and economy.
- Migrations due to famine or sickness will spread religion, tech and culture.
- Hunter parties will explore the map searching for hunting.
- World events can change the course of history.
- Survive the unforgiving nature building structures to live and to defend against raiders and predators.
- Receive migration parties while taking care of your citizens.
- Mine, Chop, Crop, Gather, Hunt and Fish for resources, but be aware they are finite.
- Craft tools, weapons, food and other manufactured resources if you know how to do it.
- Plant, seed, crop and storage for the winter. But remember that nothing lasts forever.
- Take care of your animals and protect them from predators.
- Fight back your enemies, trade, hunt and explore beyond your city walls. Or wait for others AI factions to come to you.
- Praise your gods for faith and political power, fight against other religions. spread your faith...
- Lots of more building types, clothes, animals, etc...
- Citizen traits, religion and culture.
- Sickness can decimate your people.
PC Windows at first release.
Others to be determined.
English at first release.
Chinese,Japanese,Russian,French,German,Spanish & Portuguese to be added after final release.Others to be determined.
- Closed Alpha Version in Jun 2018.
- Closed Beta Version in Sep 2018.
- Release in Dec 2018.
We have planned the features, we have estimated the time cost, and we have realized that we need to grow.
This is the percentage of funds allocated to each major area of development. It includes all the fixed expenses for each activity (salary, taxes, office, administration, etc.)
* Note : We are facing problems with our website due to high traffic. If the problem persists, please, retry later.
Press & Media:
- Interview with twocredits.co:
- Announcement by gameit.es ( Spanish )
- YouTube preview by Keralis:
- YouTube preview by Resonant:
- YouTube preview by Vaypah Gaming
YouTube preview by DrProof ( German )
- YouTube preview by HForHavoc
- YouTube Q&A by HForHavoc
- YouTube preview by WarriorofSparta
- YouTube preview by lionheartx10
- YouTube interview by Alkhalim
Interview with Arsgaming.com ( Spanish )
- Announcement by onlysp.com
- Announcement by niveloculto.com ( Spanish )
Some examples of game concept and art, made by Ancient Cities art director Juan (aka @Ailantd on twitter), included in the "Chief Artbook" pledge:
LLuis, Ancient Cities sound designer and musician takes his job very seriously.
We love that and you will love it too when you have the game in your hands!
Risks and challenges
This is our first PC game but...
We have years of experience with similar technologies. Also, many features has been already completed during the last year, so we have no doubt we can finish the work.
We are developing our own tech, but...
We have created many 3D engines in our careers, working for private companies and VR research labs, and even as a hobby!
We are a team of four running on our own budget...
So we need to grow, and we need funding, this is the main reason to be on Kickstarter.
What is our greatest shortcoming?
We are perfectionists, even worse, we like that!
- (13 days)