VU Pulse Update
As promised we are trying to keep you updated as to the status of the Vu Pulse. At this time we are still working with the factories to determine how fast we can get the new components we need to go back into production. As soon as we get an honest response from them we will give you an updated timeline. Please be assured that we are doing everything to can to resolve the issue as fast as possible and will provide you with the new timeline the moment we get it. As previously mentioned, you do have the option of a full refund or you can choose to wait until we have confirmation of the new timeline before making your decision. Again, we really appreciate your patience while we attempt to resolve the chip issue.