VU Pulse Update
We sincerely apologize for the delayed response but we have been trying to work out some factory issues with the chipset that we needed to overcome. We are pleased to say that we are able to solve it, however it will mean further delays. There is a shortage of the components needed to fix the issue and we are currently awaiting a time for when, exactly, we can resume production. We will provide, at minimum, a weekly update on the status until we get a solid date on when production can resume. We also fully understand if you no longer wish to wait for the Vu Pulse and are willing to provide you with a full refund should that be your choice. For anyone who has already received a partial refund, we are also willing to refund the remaining balance of your pledge. Again, we are extremely sorry for the delays so far and are doing our best to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
Thank You Team Tylt