About this project
The Foodie Dice campaign is now over, which means Kickstarter has frozen this page and it can never be updated. Everything here is likely to be out of date. In the coming months, we plan to create an online community for sharing tips, recipes, and Foodie Dice meals. Please visit us at www.foodiedice.com to order Foodie Dice and join the community.
Thank you so very much for an amazingly successful campaign!
Liz & Sarah Downey
Original campaign begins here
The perfect gift for any foodie!
We’re on a mission to make cooking fun.
Even foodies fall into cooking ruts sometimes. Recipes have their place, but they can be restrictive and intimidating. Foodie Dice, on the other hand, encourages you to play with your food! Cooking doesn’t have to be complicated or take a lot of time or skill when you start with whole, seasonal ingredients and a playful spirit.
What is Foodie Dice?
- Nine laser engraved dice — 5 primary dice and 4 seasonal veggie dice — that provide inspiration for creating simple, seasonal meals (Protein, cooking method, grain/carb, herb, bonus ingredient + Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter Veggies)
- The dice have a range of ingredients — some are more common and some are meant to get you to be adventurous.
- Over 186,000 combinations to inspire creativity in the kitchen. You’ll be surprised at how many rolls may be something you never thought to pair together, but make sense.
- Takes the guesswork out of eating seasonally. Eating veggies that are in season just plain tastes better. It’s hard to know what’s in season these days with all of the access that we have to food in the grocery store, but the dice make it easier. If you live in a colder region, it might be a little more challenging, but at least you’ll be eating things that came from California instead of South America. You’ll never want to eat a mealy tomato in December again.
- Naturally gluten-free and can easily be Paleo-friendly—just leave out the carb/grain die and roll the veggie die twice. Pasta can easily be substituted for a gluten-free version.
- Laser engraved wooden dice are made in the USA, and come packaged in an upcycled wine bottle tumbler or cotton muslin pouch
What’s on the dice?
Vegetarian, spice, and dessert, and wild card add-on dice are available because we reached all of our stretch goals! Just add the amount to your pledge, and we'll ask which add-on dice you want in our post-campaign survey. You can add to your pledge for add-on dice at any time, and you'll be able to choose from any of the 4 dice below.
Backers at or above the $50 reward level will receive 1 free add-on per backer. See the chart below and read our FAQ for additional clarification.
ADD-ON PLEDGE AMOUNTS:
You do not need to change your reward selection, just add the additional amount to your pledge.
It’s important to us to make the dice in the USA. We spent a lot of time finding the best materials and partnerships in order to bring you a quality product that has been ethically made.
Our dice are made in the USA from American wood, and laser engraved in the USA.
Our glass tumblers are upcycled wine bottles. The empty bottles are collected, cleaned, cut, and polished. We’re excited to be partnering with Refresh Glass, contributing to their mission of rescuing 10 million wine bottles from landfills.
Some facts about glass, courtesy of Refresh Glass:
- Over two thirds of wine bottles in the US are not recycled
- Recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to light a 100 watt bulb for 6 hours
- Right now glass makes up more than 5% of landfills
$12 - One set of dice in a muslin drawstring pouch (Early Bird)
$16 - One set of dice in a muslin drawstring pouch
$22 - One set of dice in an upcycled wine bottle tumbler (Early Bird)
$26 - One set of dice in an upcycled wine bottle tumbler
$30 - Two sets of dice in muslin drawstring pouches
$50 - Two sets of dice in upcycled wine bottle tumblers
$75 - Five sets of dice in muslin drawstring pouches
$125 - Five sets of dice in upcycled wine bottle tumblers
$150 - Custom set of dice in an upcycled wine bottle tumbler
Free US shipping for all rewards! For international shipping, please add the amount shown for your selected reward for your location. Please note that your country may charge additional taxes or duties.
*Thanks to the amazing support we have received, the first batch of Foodie Dice for Christmas delivery is sold out, with the exception of some custom sets. New rewards are available with a January delivery date, though we still hope to be able to deliver sooner. Please see Project Update #2 for more information.
For our backers with January rewards who want to give Foodie Dice as late Christmas gifts, here is a Foodie Dice Gift Card. Just click the link, print, and cut out the tumbler version or pouch version depending on which one you are gifting.
Two sisters from the Midwest, we originally created Foodie Dice for ourselves because even though we cooked often and liked to experiment in the kitchen, we tended to cook the same things over and over again. We wanted to find a way to take advantage of all that’s available to us. Once we started to play with the dice, we discovered tons of new combinations that we wouldn’t have thought of before. We believe that whether you’re a self-professed foodie, or just starting to think a bit more about your food, cooking can be an adventure rather than a chore. Once you start cooking with seasonal ingredients, you start to connect more with your food and where it comes from. And there’s nothing better than sharing the meal you’ve created with friends and family. We hope Foodie Dice leads you to new foodie adventures, too.
Want to learn a little more about us and our experience? Read our bio.
Please help us reach our goal
We’ve spent a lot of time developing Foodie Dice because we believe in it, and have a passion for food, cooking, and design. Now it’s time to ask if you like it. If you do, please help us reach our goal by pre-ordering and sharing our campaign with everyone you know. Anything you can do will help.
Our Kickstarter goal of $7,500, added to our own investment, will cover the costs of our first run of Foodie Dice. And we can deliver it just in time for Christmas.
*10/8/13 Update: We have almost sold out of our first batch. If rewards are available with a Dec 2013 delivery date, grab em fast! As soon as they sell out, all available rewards will have a later delivery date. - see Update #2 for more information.
If we’re lucky enough to greatly exceed our goal, we have plenty of ideas in the works—bonus dice with exotic foodie ingredients and more!
Please help spread the word by sharing on Facebook and Twitter!
Just use the buttons below the video to post. Thank you!
A huge thanks goes out to Ryan Burbank, Chris Robb, & Michael Hart for helping us make an awesome video!
Risks and challenges
We’ve overcome many challenges to get Foodie Dice to this point, where we can confidently offer it to you on Kickstarter. We’ve found great people and companies to partner with, who are also excited about Foodie Dice. We know where each part of our product is coming from, as well as all costs and lead times, and we know how to package it and ship it to you.
No matter how you slice it, laser engraving involves much machine time and labor in turning each die for the next side to be engraved. We’ve allocated extra time in our timeline to ensure that we can deliver by the promised date. If we’re lucky enough to exceed our goal, we’re prepared to start on the dice before our campaign ends.
While we know it’s possible that we’ll encounter other challenges, we’re fully committed to Foodie Dice, and to every one of our backers who help make it a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
To clarify how to pledge for add-ons:
• Each add-on die is unlocked when a stretch goal is reached. This means that reaching that goal will allow us to produce a special run of another add-on die
• To receive one or all of the add-ons, you must increase your pledge by these amounts:
1 for $5 / 2 for $9 ($4.50 each) / 3 for $13 ($4.33 each) / 4 or more for $4 each
• You may mix and match whichever add-ons have been unlocked by the end of the campaign (i.e. 2 spice & 1 vegetarian)
• If you have pledged $50 or more, you'll get 1 free bonus die per backer (not per set)
• We'll ask which ones you want in our post-campaign survey
All rewards with an Estimated Delivery date of Dec 2013 will ship in time for Christmas.
We'll do our best to deliver rewards with a January 2014 delivery date before Christmas, but we can't guarantee it.
Yes. We now offer international shipping. Just select one of the rewards noted as international, and add the amount noted for your location.
Our intention when launching was to only ship within the US, for a couple reasons:
1) It is difficult/impossible to create seasonal veggie dice that are applicable across the world
2) We have no experience shipping internationally, and in our research we have talked to a few project creators who failed when it came to international shipments, despite their best intentions. We did not want to promise anything that we aren't confident we can accomplish.
That said, we decided that we would see if we had any interest from other countries and go from there. We are flattered, amazed, and inspired by the interest we have had from people across the world, and are happy to now offer Foodie Dice to people in other countries.
A Vegetarian die is available as an add-on, now that we have reached our $100k Stretch Goal. See Update #4 for more details.
Support this project
- (31 days)