It may seem like our dogs just sleep all day, bark at nothing, and drink from the toilet. But what does humanity’s best friend get up to when we aren’t around? Is that portly Pug a secret agent? Is that adorable Labrador a movie star with a line of grooming products? Does that Chihuahua have 24 hours to save the world?
Action Pups is a party game where you compete to tell the secret life story of a dog. It's for three to six players from ages 9-99, and play time is 15-30 min. It's a perfect game to gather around and unplug for some creative, lighthearted, and fuzzy fun.
Action Pups comes with 170 unique cards, each with a different photo of a dog on one side and two story prompts on the the other. The game is designed by Jenn Ellis and Keith Baker (Gloom, Illimat, Eberron, Action Cats!), and includes illustrations by Natalie Metzger and dog pictures from you: our backers.
How to Play: The players take turns serving as judge. The judge draws a card and gives the dog a name. Each player combines two cards from their hand to form the beginning and end of a story. Each player pitches their story to the judge, embellishing to win the judge's favor and be awarded the dog card. At the end of nine rounds the player with the most dog cards wins. The game contains 170 unique double sided cards—enough for over 25,000 story combinations.
Want to try it out yourself? Print and play our sample play test cards
Follow us on Instagram and play a round with us in our insta stories!
We need your help to make this game a reality... and that includes your dog! Every backer at any level that receives rewards is eligible to submit photos. Not every dog submitted will make the game, but even if we have 1,000 backers submitting your dog has a 1 in 5 chance to become board game famous! Other rewards include:
- A copy of Action Pups! : 170 unique double sided poker sized cards + 4 learn to play cards
- Magic Action Pup Enamel Pin: 1" enamel pin from Natalie Metzger's illustration for the game
- A Copy of Action Cats!: Available at your friendly retailer now, or as a reward at the "Raining Cats & Dogs" level. 170 unique double sided poker sized cards + 4 learn to play cards
- Add additional copies of Action Pups by adding $19 to your pledge with no additional shipping costs.
- Add additional enamel pins to your pledge by adding $8 to your pledge with no additional shipping costs.
- Rewards are shipped to US backers from within the US. All other rewards are shipped from within the UK. Rewards outside of the US may arrive 2-3 weeks after US rewards.
After you back the game you'll get a form within a day via your Kickstarter inbox to upload up to 4 images. Submissions are due by midnight on February 28th. Here's what we're looking for:
- You hold the copyright to permit us to use the photo. This usually means you took the photo of your dog or are a photographer with proof of permission from the dog owner.
- Photos that are at least 300 dpi. (note: photos downloaded from Instagram have a resolution lower than 300dpi and will be too blurry for consideration)
- Photos are in portrait orientation. The image needs to fit on the back of a card.
- Photos that contain a single dog and no humans.
- Photos of dogs that lend themselves to story telling. We're looking for pictures that inspire stories. All dogs are good dogs... but a dog that's in an interesting location, doing something remarkable, wearing a funny costume, or that otherwise provides a hook for building a story is more likely to make it into the game.
We're Keith and Jenn, the designers and owners of Twogether Studios. We've been creating games together for over four years, including Action Cats, Illimat, and Phoenix: Dawn Command. We strive to make games that bring people together, that encourage families and friends to unplug and create stories and memories. Action Pups is a simple game that encourages creativity and laughter. This isn't a game about defeating your enemies; it's about telling stories with your friends, and having fun with a pack of adorable pups.
Risks and challenges
Murphy's Law is a good name for a dog. There's always the chance that something could go wrong in any stage of a project. However, we've done everything possible to reduce these risks. We've completed the initial art and layout for the game. We're working with a printer in the US, removing the risks that come with overseas shipping. We're working with a trusted fulfillment company that we've worked with before. There's always the possibility of issues out of our control, but based on our previous successfully fulfilled Kickstarters, we feel like we have a solid plan. We'll be providing regular updates to backers until fulfillment in May.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)