Happy Birthday, Tulip & Violet!
Happy Birthday, Tulip & Violet, will introduce readers to The Green Family. Tulip and Violet are twin girls born on Earth Day (April 22nd). In the book, they are preparing to turn 3 years old. They have an older brother Emmitt, who is 5 years old. Daddy and Mommy Green love to spend time with their three children and enjoy teaching them about how to take care of the Earth.
Readers will jump into the life of The Green Family as they prepare for the twins birthday. Experience a day in the life from sunrise to sunset. Of course, the family practices green habits such as turning off the water while brushing their teeth and recycling; valuable lessons the book will help you teach/reinforce. Get ready to journey along with the family as they complete an Earth Day project. We hope you will join us for an Earth Day project on April 22, 2018, in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Green Family:
- Dad: Enjoys... working in the yard, buying new fish for the fish tank, reading about helpful leaders
- Mom: Enjoys... working in the garden, scrapbooking family events, reading cookbooks
- Emmitt: Enjoys: playing basketball, teaching his sisters how to recycle, reading about airplanes
- Tulip: Enjoys... wearing tutus, watching the fish swim in the fish tank with her dad, reading about silly animals while holding her stuffed animal fox
- Violet: Enjoys... wearing crowns, helping her mom plant in the garden, reading about silly animals while holding her stuffed animal owl
- Go to http://www.thegreenfamilybooks.com to learn more!
What else can I expect to read & see?
- The family completing an Earth Day project together
- A picture that will help you teach a child about different ways to recycle
- An in-home library any adult/ child would be envious of
- A fabulous runway fit for a birthday party
- Ride along on an eco-friendly car ride
- Learn what the girls love to read at bedtime
- Join the twins girls for a treehouse picnic celebration
- The character Tulip was named based off the author's favorite flower- & it fit in with the Earthy theme
- The character Violet was named based off of one of the author's favorite color- & it matched tulip's name due to violet also being a flower
- The character Emmitt was named after one of the author's favorite football players, Emmitt Smith- they share the same birthday
- Recycling was always emphasized in the author's family due to her mother teaching environmental science to psychics
- Taking care of the yard was also emphasized in the author's family growing up- although she was one girl with three younger brothers, she helped in the yard often
- Most people do not know when Earth Day is- hopefully, they will after this campaign and especially when the book is published
Why should I support this campaign?
- Early childhood literacy is important for a child's development and closely linked to future success
- The book features a compelling cast of characters who love the Earth and each other
- The book teaches children about different ways to recycle
- The book highlights Earth Day and giving back
- The book rhymes
- The book assists in closing the gap regarding the number of African American authors, as well as books about African American families
- The author has experience writing preschool lessons and Sunday school lessons for children
- The author has countless hours of experience reading to preschool and early elementary aged children, she knows the target market well
- The illustrator has experience creating illustrations for children's books and workbooks
- The author & illustrator work well together and both get excited about every detail of the book
- You can receive a book for yourself/ a child in your life
*Pre- Kickstarter Launch: Book was written and edited, Contract signed with Illustrator, All initial sketches for each page complete
*11/8/17: Kickstarter Campaign Launch
*11/22/17: Cover of book complete, released to the public when the campaign is 70% funded
*12/10/17: Kickstarter Campaign Ends
*4/1/17: Final art complete on or before this date
*4/6/17: Books ordered from Createspace on or before this date, books only take 5 business days to ship
*4/22/18: Happy Earth Day! Official book launch, signing party, & Earth Day project
What will $4,500 help fund?
- Cost of illustrations
- Approx. cost to purchase 200 paperback books from Createspace and have them shipped (approx. $850)
- Other publishing costs such as obtaining an ISBN number, linking to Kindle, other online fees (approx. $300)
- Marketing cost (website, facebook boost, professional video)
- Cost to host an Earth Day project/ book launch for families
About the Author:
Antoinetta McKay is a true Georgia peach born in Atlanta and raised in Roswell Georgia. She has a B.S in Business Management from Georgia Tech and an MPA in Nonprofit Management from Western Michigan University.
Happy Birthday, Tulip and Violet will be Antoinetta's first children's book published and the first book in the Green Family Series. The next book in the series is titled The Last Pick. Antoinetta is already a published writer for The Sunday School Publishing Board where she has created content for preschool and early elementary children from 2012- 2017.
Helping people she encounters with all aspects of their personal growth, makes Antoinetta's heart and soul happy. Some of her passions include volunteering in the community, instructing boot camp classes, interviewing leaders for her blog, and cooking/baking.
Leadership Blog: http://www.ifollowtheleader.com
About the Illustrator:
Jenny Brewer Jenny Brewer is an illustrator from Canton, Georgia who has been drawing for as long as she can remember, gathering her inspiration from fashion, food, nature, and cartoons. She has worked on various projects including the visual development for educational biology software, children's book illustrations, and various illustrations for local businesses. In her free time, Jenny enjoys traveling and eating with her friends and family and hanging out with her three dachshunds Ellie, Chloe, and Finley.
Instagram: @jenabrew http://www.instagram.com/jenabrew
Risks and challenges
If the Kickstarter is not fully funded, I will have to pay for all costs out of pocket. I have already signed a contract with my illustrator; all illustrations will be complete by April 1, 2018.
Marketing/ promoting the book will be a challenge as I will have a limited marketing budget.
- (32 days)