TrunkMonkey was born one spring day on my way to class, when my bicycle commute home was disrupted by a severe weather warning. A friend pulled up and offered to give me a ride home, but with no way to bring my bike along in his coupe, I had no choice but to ride home in the wind and rain.
When I finally got home, I dropped my bicycle on the living room floor and began sketching the first design of the TrunkMonkey.
TrunkMonkey is designed for all riders, whether you’re a daily commuter who wants the freedom of always having their rack with them, or someone who occasionally needs a bike rack but is tight on storage space.
TrunkMonkey is the only portable bike carrier, it also has additional benefits over other bike carrier designs.
Compatible with any vehicle with a rear trunk or hatch and can secure any bike frame.
Adjustable nylon straps and the TrunkMonkey’s cradle design secures your bike without risking cosmetic or structural damage to your frame.
1000 mil. Cordura® Kevlar® outer shell protects the TrunkMonkey while also being soft on your bike and car.
- Ultrasonically welded 100% polyvinyl inflatable core creates a sturdy bike mount when inflated
The ruggedly designed carrying case stows the TrunkMonkey and the allows a secure and convenient storage while attached to your seat post or in the trunk of a vehicle.
Portable beyond belief - TrunkMonkey is compact enough to be stowed in any space.
- The entire TrunkMonkey, including the pump, fits into the included carrying case for easy storage and weighs less than 6 pounds.
- The TrunkMonkey is designed to suit you, either mount it to your bike, stow it in your trunk, or stash it in your garage. No matter where you keep your TrunkMonkey it will occupy significantly less space than a traditional bike mount.
Handheld pump makes mounting, or removing, your TrunkMonkey a breeze.
- A 12v DC air pump is included with every TrunkMonkey to make mounting your bike hassle free. Simply plug in the pump to any vehicle cigarette lighter and watch your TrunkMonkey inflate in less than 2 minutes.
- The versatile pump operates in 2 directions, so it can easily be used to deflate the TrunkMonkey when stowing it away. This feature makes packing up a simple task and ensures that all the air is removed from the TrunkMonkey before putting it away.
- Caught in a pinch or just like to travel light? The TrunkMonkey's versatile air valve also allows for the user to blow-up the mount by hand or deflate it by simply squeezing the valve. No equipment necessary.
Risks and challenges
When we hit our funding goal, we'll have enough funding for production, tooling, and shipping. As with all Kickstarter projects, if we don't hit our funding goal, you don't pay anything (but you also don't get a TrunkMonkey.)
Most Kickstarter campaigns involving manufactured goods deliver late. We’ve done everything we can to set ourselves up for an on-time delivery. We've built dozens of prototypes, had numerous design reviews with industry experts, and have gotten quotes from multiple manufacturers. The delivery estimates we've put together represent our best effort at accounting for part lead times and unanticipated delays. However, the key to unanticipated delays is that you can't anticipate them. If something does come up, we promise to be as forthright and transparent to our customers as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)