The flower industry is an $18 billion dollar industry. As of 2014, Americans buy 80% of their flowers from abroad, with about 66 cents of every dollar spent in supermarkets or online. True Leaves Floral is bringing a little of that business back home, in the unlikeliest of places:
We are growing all our own flowers by hand for you in Bushwick, Brooklyn! We will be selling CSA-style subscription service bouquets in gorgeous, hand-picked vintage vases for both home and businesses.
You'll also be able to find us at local markets, such as the Bushwick Farmers Market, featuring cut flowers, flower crowns and flower wristlets.
And we're going to be really creative with our selections for you: Herbal bouquets, edible bouquets, herbal teas, floral waters and flower crowns!
All of this will be done in our backyard, the first official True Leaves Floral garden. We are starting all our own flowers from seed under grow lights right this minute!
We need financial help buying materials so we can build our flower beds and fill them with healthy soil and compost, to buy a nice refrigerator to keep the flowers fresh, and to help us build two rickshaws which will transport our bouquet deliveries to you!
TRUE LEAVES FLORAL GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
We are striving to create a thriving, healthy, vibrant, organized and creative flower garden and workspace with the aim to grow and harvest enough healthy flowers (from seed to vase) to sell ample subscription-based bouquets and cut flower arrangements to make back double our initial investment.
True Leaves is looking to become a respected and recognizable local brand within Bushwick, Brooklyn in our first year.
Acquire at least:
- 8 Full-Season Home Bouquet-Subscribers
- 5 Businesses where we will provide fresh flowers for their tables / space and maintain the flowers and vases for the contracted time
- Market space to sell cut flower bouquets, flower crowns and flower wristlets
Double production & sales to expand our growing space, hold classes on floral arrangements and flower growing, and hold events in our growing space for the business and community. Increase branding materials and use an organic marketing approach. We also want to expand into wholesale flower production.
WHAT WE NEED TO BUY:
INFRASTRUCTURE - PHYSICAL - 70% Wood for flower beds, soil/compost and soil transportation, all tools needed for gardening, irrigation, grow lights, refrigeration, seed flats, seeds, land, etc.
INFRASTRUCTURE - BUSINESS - 25% LLC papers, booth fees for markets, transportation costs
DESIGN and PRESENTATION - 5% Vases, marketing materials, burlap, twine, tablecloths for markets, etc.
We intend to approach all aspects of our business with strong focus on:
- Sustainability Seasonality/Natural Cycles
- Thoughtful execution
- Full awareness of potential loss and profit
- Meaningful design
- Neighborhood inclusion and nourishment
- fun / silliness / magic / strength / beauty / education / empowerment
Who do we market to?
Short answer: Everyone! Flower crowns for the young and the grown, bouquets for homes and businesses, individual flowers for those feeling romantic. And our price levels are not exclusive to any one fiscal demographic. Mostly, however, we market to homes and businesses.
Local Flower Industry:
There is a flourishing small floral design business push in the area, but we are the FIRST to grow all our own flowers from seed in Bushwick, Brooklyn! There is a lot of room for inclusion for a program of our type.
Strengths and Competencies
- Grow our own flowers
- Accountability / hard work
- Good Story
- Local company run and operated by two strong stewards in the community with built-in clientele
- Low overhead
Risks and challenges
COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES
- Unique business model
- Zero market competitors growing their own in Bushwick, Brooklyn in a very competitive field
- Locally grown
- In-person service and accountability
- Opportunity to learn directly about your flowers
- 2nd Year: We can be hired to grow specific flowers for your event or home
- Lesser selection than average boutiques
- Unpredictable harvest
- Unpredictable weather
- (30 days)