About this project
Help this Trojan Horse to the finish line!
The Trojan Horse Project is a multidisciplinary effort combining sculpture, light installation, music, performance, and dramatic arts into what is destined to be a highlight of this year’s Burning Man. Standing nearly five stories high and weighing 20 tons, the horse will be composed of large dark triangles, a modern, cubistic version of a familiar form. Surrealistic rooms within and spectacular lighting effects inside and out make the beast even more remarkable.
If Vancouver-based Art Director Douglas Bevans and his international project team achieve their goals, a thousand or more Burners will participate in pulling this huge Trojan Horse across the playa to where it will be set on fire with flaming arrows. In addition to those pulling the horse, the Grand Procession will include hundreds of players costumed as Greek deities or mortals and an international corps of brass players, drummers, and percussionists who will play Bevan’s latest composition.
The Trojan Horse Project is a global undertaking, having already attracted hundreds of volunteers and collaborators from around the world. Why don't you join us? While managed from Vancouver, Montreal, Seattle, and San Francisco, the project is truly a global Burner community effort. And we need your help to make this beast come to life! The whole shebang will cost nearly $100,000. Through Kickstarter, we hope to raise $18,500, which will go directly toward tools, hardware, and lumber for the construction of the horse.
You want the details?
The money raised through Kickstarter will be spent exclusively on actually building the horse.
- Superstructure - Beams, Legs and Floor $2.370 (4x4, 2x12, 2x4, plywood)
- Internal Structural Walls $310 (4x4, 2x4, plywood)
- Head and Neck Structure $470 (4x4, beams, and internal platform)
- Outer Skin $2.950 (Plywood and attachment scaffolding)
- Hardware, Fasteners, and Contingency $1.470 (Hold downs, nails, staples, glue)
- Tool Purchase and Rental $5.030 (Compressors, nail and staple guns, table saw, blades, chop saws, blades, 1/2 right angle drills, misc hand tools, impact drivers, ladders and scaffolding)
- Space Rental at Treasure Island $6.000 (for 3 months)
Beyond the expenses related to the construction of the horse, additional expenses include construction of the cart and Gates of Troy; rental of power supplies, a sound system, and EL-wire and spots for coloring the horse at night; pyrotechnics; and transportation.
Inside the Horse
Participants climb ladders and stairs in the horse’s rear legs to reach the rooms in the belly of the beast. Beyond the main room where the absinthe ceremony is performed, Burners will be able to ascend stairs to the lookout in the horse’s head or explore the hidden oracle room.
The belly of the beast will be a surrealistic space designed to play with the mind and senses. Simply experiencing the interior’s sensory overload of sights, sounds, and smells; the tactile interior and décor; the taste of absinthe; the arduous entry and exit, will be a rite of passage.
Get your swag!
If you help us with a financial contribution you'll earn our sincere gratitude and some of these great rewards:
- Faux ancient Greek coin emblazoned with our Trojan Horse!
- Black organic cotton/bamboo t-shirt with stylized red outline of the Trojan Horse at night
- Having your message shot into the heavens with a flaming arrow used to ignite the horse.
- Trojan Horse 2011 Documentary - The real deal captured live as the project unfolds
- Ready-to-wear Greek/Trojan costume and an original Jordan Betten sketch are some of the rewards for major donors.
Yes, there are! We are looking for all sorts of in-kind donations. If you happen to be in possession of lumber, construction fittings, shade cloth, costuming materials, solar panels or happen to own a trucking/transportation company, LED/EL/Lighting rental company, empty storage space in the Bay Area, sound and video equipment or production facilities in Los Angeles - please give us a shout!
We are also always looking to expand our team of collaborators! Builders, tinkerers, mythology geeks, musicians, social media experts, videographers, Greek deities - please get in touch with us and come join us!
Support this project
- (30 days)