This project is a role-playing game supplement showcasing eleven original super-villains. The book will be dual-statted for the Mutants & Masterminds and Capes, Cowls & Villains Foul RPGs, published under the respective licenses for those games. Do Not Approach will be published in PDF and softcover formats in full color. The villains cover a wide variety of archetypes and styles, focusing on fresh approaches to classic tropes.
The villains have been developed and their game stats are being refined. Interior artwork has been commissioned from artists Storn Cook, James Denton, and Eryck Webb. James Denton has been engaged to create an artistic image for the book cover. The funds for this Kickstarter will be used to finish producing the book. At the conclusion of the Kickstarter, the text of the book will be shared with all backers for feedback. Once the book is ready, it will be distributed as a PDF to eligible backers. A corrected copy will then be used to print the softcover books.
The rewards are primarily copies of the book, statted for both game systems, plus a few extras. A few notes:
- International backers can calculate first-class postage here, based on a one pound package. If you have any trouble, just drop me a note and I'll quote you a charge.
- If your reward includes a physical copy of the book, you can add additional (non-autographed) copies for $16 each (to a maximum of ten books, due to Kickstarter policy).
Here's a deal for you. If we raise $1500, Do Not Approach Volume Two will go immediately into production and when completed, I'll send out a PDF to every backer.
Update: We have made the project goal and are now headed toward our stretch goal of $1500.
Each villain writeup includes a description of the villain and their abilities, background, and motivation, game statistics for both M&M and CC&VF, some suggestions on how to use the villain, and story seeds and power up options. Introducing:
- Mister Sunshine - a psychopathic gunman, one of the most wanted criminals in the USA
- Monster Woman - a hulking, bestial woman on a rampage--or does she just want to be left alone?
- Mystery Killer - murder by numbers
- Psibeth - cruel experimentation gave this ape extraordinary powers--and a heart filled with vengeance!
- Scarlet Kingsnake - a flamboyant thug with an enhanced metabolism and something to prove
- Silver Daimyo - a quirky yet relentless assassin with an extraordinary talent
- Alexandrette Whateley - Sorceress with an unnatural legacy
- Corbin Jeffcoat - Deadly archer
- Emperor Corex - A more-than-human intelligence pursuing a technological transcendence
- Kingbird - Mercenary with a suit of power armor, running from old mistakes
- Minotaur - An ancient nemesis in human form
Risks and challenges
In a previous Kickstarter for this project, we tried to raise enough to fund the whole thing upfront. It didn't work. We kept plugging away, and we are now raising funds to finish a few specific pieces of artwork. Financially, we should be on solid ground for what we require. Probably the most challenging aspect of the project at this stage is management. That's on me. We have a great team working on the pieces of this project and I feel positively about our timeline.
Although we have previous experience with print-on-demand, we will be using a new channel for the print copies, which brings its own set of unknown challenges.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)