About this project
"Weird and funny and charming and... it's so much fun to read." - Mark Waid (Daredevil, Kingdom Come)
"It's fun and funny for young and old alike. I mean, who can't relate to feeling like an alien at school? " - Mike Norton (Teen Titans, Battlepug)
"Albert the Alien is the weirdest new kid in school you've ever met... and possibly the coolest!" - Chris Giarrusso (G-Man)
"Albert the Alien is completely and utterly charming. I’d say this series has its heart in the right place… except I have no idea where Albert keeps his. - Thom Zahler (Love and Capes, My Little Pony)
“I wish I could see our world like Albert the Alien does. We live an age of wonders, but we often forget that fact. Thank goodness we have Albert here to remind us.” - Josh Elder (Scribblenauts: Unmasked, Mail Order Ninja)
ABOUT THE PROJECT:
Albert the Alien is just a normal everyday kid…from another planet! He’s come to Earth to learn about humans as the first intergalactic foreign exchange student. And when Albert’s involved, even the ordinary becomes extraordinary.
For the last year, Gabo and I have been updating Albert the Alien as a webcomic series at www.AlbertTheAlien.com (updates Wednesdays and Fridays) and on www.Thrillbent.com (updates Tuesdays). Over 100 pages of content went into the first story arc, called New in School. We want to collect that first story arc into a printed graphic novel, and load it up with bonus features and new stories exclusive to this Kickstarter print edition.
But you may be asking yourself, "Who is Albert the Alien?" Well, I'm glad you asked that....
ABOUT THE CHARACTERS:
ALBERT THE ALIEN is an alien from the planet Xevon VII, and is the first intergalactic exchange student on Earth. He’s very excited to learn everything there is about human culture and our planet – and sometimes his excitement gets the better of him, as he doesn’t often “look before he leaps.”
He enjoys video games, pizza, and space surfing around asteroid belts. He currently lives with his homestay family, the Greysons, and is best friends with their daughter Gerty.
GERTY GREYSON is a normal everyday human girl – who dreams about outer space! Her father is an astronaut, and her mother is a rocket scientist, so Gerty is very smart and interested in all things space and science. She often acts as the voice of reason for Albert, trying to keep his crazy antics from getting him into trouble. She also sticks up for him from the school bully, Wally McNally.
WALLY McNALLY is the meanest kid in school, and has decided to pick on every kid who is different from him – which is everyone! He particularly doesn’t like Albert, and goes out of his way to terrorize him on a regular basis with his two goons in tow, Lugg and Ugg. However, Wally isn’t exactly the brightest bulb in the box, and is usually thwarted by his own actions in an often hilarious and embarrassing manner.
ABOUT THE STORY:
NEW IN SCHOOL:
In his first adventure, Albert is the new kid in school and has to learn to make friends, adopt to a foreign culture (the culture we live with everyday, seen through fresh eyes), and figure out how to dodge the school bully. Upon arriving at the school, items start to go missing from kids' lockers and the school bully immediately blames the new kid: the alien!
With the help of his new friends, including his homestay sister Gerty, can Albert investigate the thefts and prove his innocence? Or will his first week of school on Earth be his last?
BONUS STORIES (PRINT EDITION EXCLUSIVE):
- Science Fair* - During the science fair, Albert shows off a quantum singularity (black hole), however Wally breaks the device that controls it. Thinking quickly, Albert must find a way to save the school before someone gets sucked in.
- Eating Contest* - During lunch, Martin reveals that he's the top hot dog eater in his family. Some other kids challenge him to a hot dog eating contest - and one of the contestants is a Blobite!
- Make Comics* - Gerty takes Albert to her favorite comic shop to introduce him to the various genres out there. Some kids in the store also start talking about their favorite genres, and no one can decide which is the very best. Can Albert find a way to cast the deciding vote?
- Cat Encounters - UNLOCKED - A series of 3 single-page adventures of Albert hanging out at Miranda's with her cat, Allergy. Albert has to figure out this bizarre Earth creature and how to survive being in his friend's house as the cat stalks, attacks, and cuddles Albert.
- I Think I'm Turning Xevonese - UNLOCKED - Albert takes the Greyson's to a Xevonese restaurant where they must learn how to use the strange alien eating utensils.
- Candy Trap - UNLOCKED - After scoring some sweet swag during his first Halloween, Albert finds that candy can be more dangerous than he thought.
- Frozen in Time - UNLOCKED - Albert thinks he's become stuck in time after Gerty takes a photo of him. Can Gerty find a way to calm Albert down and explain the situation?
- Halloween Misadventures - UNLOCKED - A series of 3 single-page adventures during Albert's first Halloween. Albert starts to understand the holiday when he has to pick his first costume, and learns restraint when he comes home with his stash of candy. However, things may not be so lucky for his homestay family's experience when they accidentally use the alien Controller to turn on the TV.
[*These stories feature appearances, see sidebar for availability]
- DIGITAL WALLPAPER ----------------------------------------- $8,500
- PRINT ACTIVITY BOOK ----------------------------------------$10,000
- HARDCOVER PRINT EDITION --------------------------------$16,000
- BONUS STORY - IT'S A TRAP --------------------------------$17,000
- BONUS STORY - MAIL ORDER NINJA CROSSOVER ----$18,000
- ALBERT THE ALIEN VOLUME 2 FUNDED ------------------$20,000
A LITTLE HISTORY ABOUT ALBERT THE ALIEN:
Albert the Alien first appeared in the Reading with Pictures anthology back in 2010. Gabo and I liked him so much, we decided we needed to tell more adventures with these characters. In 2012, we self-published two single issue adventures:
ALBERT THE ALIEN IS USING THE HALLPASS:
When an emergency light goes off on Albert's suit one day, it could only mean one thing: it's time to use the restroom! However, someone plans to confront Albert in the school hallway and cause trouble for our hero.
Dodging school bullies, vigilant teachers, and hulking hall monitors, Albert must use his wits to complete his journey.
This collection contains the full adventure, the script, character designs, activity pages, and so much more!
ALBERT THE ALIEN GOES TO THE MOVIES:
With the latest summer blockbuster premiering in a theater nearby, Albert and Gerty convince their parents to let them attend an opening night screening. However, there's a problem - the movie is sold out! Can Albert and Gerty figure out a way to get into the movie, or are they doomed to be the last kids in school to see it?
This book contains the complete adventure, a special Origins adventure, a backup story by newcomer Kasey Williams, more fun activity pages, and more!
However, these stories only fueled our need to tell more adventures with Albert and his friends. So in 2013, Gabo and I agreed to make Albert the Alien as a weekly webcomic series. I paid Gabo from my own pocket, and he put in 130% effort into making this the best possible series it could be.
After the webcomic series launched, we were approached by Mark Waid (Daredevil, Kingdom Come) who wanted to add Albert to his THRILLBENT digital imprint. Gabo and I couldn't be more excited, and immediately started converting the vertical pages we had made into horizontal (wide screen) Thrillbent format.
Now, we want to give readers the option of enjoying Albert the Alien's online adventures in print form - with a generous helping of bonus content, including:
- New stories exclusive to this Kickstarter print edition
- Re-printing of the original Reading with Pictures adventure (now out of print)
- Character designs, sketches, and scripts from the adventures
- A foreward from Mark Waid
- And so much more!
ABOUT THE CREATORS:
Trevor Mueller works at an advertising agency by day, and writes comics by night. His latest project is ALBERT THE ALIEN, appearing on Mark Waid’s THRILLBENT site. He has also self-published several other works including the all-ages stories JUNKYARD CHASE. And has contributed stories to several anthologies, including HOPE: THE HERO INITIATIVE from Ronin Studios and READING WITH PICTURES from the non-profit of the same name.
He is also the writer / artist / creator of several award-winning webcomic series (www.trevoramueller.com), and regularly reviews movies, video games, and comics.
Trevor gives lectures and presentations throughout the country at conventions and schools on several topics, including the power of combining creativity and literacy.
Trevor currently lives in Chicago with his wife, Beth, and his cat, Waffles.
GABRIEL BAUTISTA JR. COMIX GORILLA. COLORIST SHOGUN.
He draws CHARLEY <3′S ROBOTS, it can been seen in several issues of ELEPHANTMEN, published by Image.
He draws for webcomic JESUS CHRIST: IN THE NAME OF THE GUN
He is an Eisner award winning colorist. (COMIC BOOK TATTOO, Image Comics)
His color art can be seen on Will Eisner’s THE SPIRIT and ALLSTAR WESTERN, published by DC Comics.
He is the creator of comic battling site ENTERVOID.COM
Risks and challenges
I specialize in project management (outside of making comics), and the content is all completed (except for the stories you can appear in). So while unlikely there may be some aspects outside of our control that may delay the project. It is always possible that printing and manufacturing delays can happen, product can get lost in the shipping process, or human error may cause something to not be sent. Additionally, people who pledge at the appearance level may experience delays in getting photo references over to myself and the artists.
That said, this is not my first time self-publishing and I haven't had any issues that delay the launch of a book to date. I do plan to communicate any delays that do occur to our backers and keep everyone informed on the status of the project throughout the process.
I want this book out more than anyone, and I can't wait to hold a copy of it in my hands. And more importantly, I can't wait for you to hold one in yours. Thanks so much for your support.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)