A young woman stumbles into the midst of a hidden war between various occult factions grappling with the root causes and dire consequences of climate change. Will our heroine harness her power and discover her place in the struggle in time to change the course of history? Or will the forces of destruction, both seen and unseen, tear the world asunder and bring an end to life as we know it?
This is the premise of Change, an urban fantasy novel about climate change.
The idea for this novel came to me in flash of inspiration one day as I was jogging and thinking about my writing career. I love urban fantasy, and I'm concerned about climate change. Why not write a novel that explores the realities of climate change in an urban fantasy context?
In the months since I had that simple but powerful thought, the novel has evolved considerably. The central theme of "change" ties together the many diverse elements of this tale of fantasy magic, advanced technology, personal transformation, social change, and a world in crisis. Our heroine encounters a colorful cast of characters and an extreme range of challenging and uplifting situations as she struggles to stay alive, to understand her emerging power, and ultimately to make a difference in the struggle for global liberation.
"Urban fantasy about climate change" makes for a short and catchy summary. But ultimately, this story is about more than just climate change. It's about change in its myriad forms, including but not limited the causes and effects of climate change in an urban fantasy setting.
Once Change is funded, I will dramatically increase the amount of time and energy I devote to it, making Change my full-time work project.
During the first two or three months, I'll be focusing almost entirely on the writing. I'll also be doing some preliminary promotions to create buzz around the project and reward supporters with exclusive supplemental content.
While the novel is being edited and reviewed, I'll have some extra time to work with an artist on cover art, talk to the media, talk to bookstores, set a tentative release date, and otherwise promote the novel and prepare for its release.
Once everything's ready, I will publish, hold one or more local book signings, and make myself available for book signings in other cities if I have sufficient funding.
The funding that I receive through Kickstarter ensures that this book will be published in a matter of months rather than a matter of years. Here's where the money will go:
- Salary: I will be paying myself a small salary to ensure that I can afford to set aside as many hours per week as this project requires. My living expenses are humble, both because of my low carbon footprint lifestyle and because of the low cost of living in Southern Illinois.
- Cover Art: I value my fellow artists, including visual artists. I could probably come up with mediocre cover art on my own, or commission cover art for cheap from an art student or other struggling artist. But I want to be sure to give my cover artist good compensation for their work.
- Editing: I'm capable of writing very clean, tight copy when I put my mind to it. However, nobody's perfect. I want to pay a copy editor to review my manuscript prior to publishing.
- Publishing: Digital publishing and distribution is free. However, print publishing and distribution requires a set-up fee.
- Rewards: Some of the rewards that I'm offering to supporters are free, but others involve a nominal printing and/or shipping cost.
These are the expenses that I budgeted for when I set my goal. If this campaign raises money above and beyond the campaign goal, I will spend the additional funds on the above plus the following:
- Organizing a book signing in one or more major cities.
- Publishing future writing projects set in the Change universe.
Even after I've reached my goal, your continued support ensures that I publish and distribute more writing in the spirit of Change!
- (51 days)