Kickstarter is over, but you can still get info and BUY from the Molecule Synth Website!!
BoingBoing: "...Molecule Synth looks like terrific mix of [neat noisemakers, games, water sensors]! ...I can't wait for my son and I to get our hands on a set!"
MakeZine Blog: "[Molecule Synth is] a cool synthesizer that can be pieced together, Lego-like, from a series of hexagonal modules that feature different effects"
Coolhunting.com: "Resembling more of a genius child's wind-up toy than a musical instrument...Molecule Synth combines rearrangeable hexagonal pieces to create an unconventional version of the traditional keyboard synthesizer."
Gadgetronica.com: "From now on, not only are your compositions your brainchild but the instrument on which it was created will be too! Thanks to...the Molecule Synth."
WHAT IS THE MOLECULE SYNTH?
The MOLECULE SYNTH is a unique, utterly new kind of musical instrument. It offers the elemental components of a traditional keyboard synthesizer — a speaker & amp, a sound generator, and a pitch controller — but presents those elements as pieces that you arrange (and rearrange!) in various combinations to create your own musical device. The MOLECULE SYNTH is designed to be intuitive to use: each of its hexagonal pieces is color-coded to indicate what that piece is and does, and each piece is marked to show how it connects to other pieces. With these building blocks, you choose how to configure your instrument, and, later, you can move the pieces and configure an entirely new instrument!
<< LEGO-LIKE INTERCHANGEABILITY
= MOLECULE SYNTH!!! >>
“I must Create a System or be enslav'd by another Man's” -William Blake
I was inspired to create the MOLECULE SYNTH by experiences circuit bending toys and building my own electronic instruments, and I wanted to make something with sounds that were more wild and less predictable than what comes from traditional keyboards. I wanted an instrument that was more interesting than just pushing buttons, but I also wanted to get away from the “black box” pre-fab technologies that makes us all passive “consumers” using someone else’s designs. So I made the MOLECULE SYNTH to be an open ended, hardware-based, stand-alone musical instrument that is easy to hack & modify, that is DIY to the core, that totally rocks, sounds amazing, and is guaranteed super fun to play!
The MOLECULE SYNTH has the pitch-accurate musical capabilities of any old random store-bought keyboard, but with the MOLECULE SYNTH, you can see and change the way that the instrument works. You can plug in a MIDI keyboard to control the MOLECULE SYNTH, or you can use the physical controllers for more experimental sounds.
Using the MOLECULE SYNTH is fun and easy! The MOLECULE SYNTH ships with a complete set of directions and tips for use, but, thanks to the MOLECULE SYNTH’s color-coded pieces and intuitive design, practically ANYONE can figure out what to do without reading anything.
Here’s how it works: Take a RED giant-sized hex, connect it to a YELLOW hex; now connect a PURPLE hex to the YELLOW hex. That’s it. You have just created a new MOLECULE synthesizer! But hold on, maybe you want a different PURPLE? Try it -- grab a different PURPLE and connect to the YELLOW. Now you've made a different MOLECULE synthesizer!
- We spent lots of time putting sound samples in our Kickstarter video that demonstrate what the MOLECULE SYNTH can do. The entire video was made with the MOLECULE SYNTH, a Korg Kaossilator and a vocoder. The video is a good source for getting an idea of how the MOLECULE SYNTH will sound, and what sorts of synths you might create with it.
- HAVE MORE QUESTIONS? PLEASE SEE FAQs BELOW, AND CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE, WWW.MOLECULESYNTH.COM FOR MORE PICTURES AND INFO.
>>>>>REWARDS!<<<<<1. MOLECULE CHEER. For a donation of $5 to $39, you will receive our undying gratitude for helping the project get going, and have your name immortalized in the online Sound Lab, moleculesynth.com, special list of supporters.
2. MOLECULE CATALYST. For a donation of $40 to $74, you’ll receive a Limited Edition MOLECULE SYNTH T-Shirt with your choice of one of our two designs featured below, "Hex Perception" and “Let’s Get Physical.” We use American Apparel shirts, and you can specify size, color and M/F style with your order.
3. MOLECULE SCIENTIST. For a donation of $75 to $249, you’ll receive both of our Limited Edition MOLECULE SYNTH T-Shirts (or two of one design, if you like).
5. POLYMER MOLECULE SYNTH SET. For a donation of $300 and up, you receive the nine-piece MOLECULE SYNTH, which includes everything in the ISOMER SET plus the MIDI-Input hex. Also comes with “Owner’s Guide & Molecular Sound Lab Manual,” a packet of Sugru, and a box of awesome.
6. MOLECULE BUNDLE. For a donation of $1,100 and up, you or your institution can be among the first on the block to have FOUR COMPLETE POLYMER MOLECULE SYNTH SETS, which means having more of the best new technology/electronics learning tool around and the most fun new musical instrument since the kazoo. The four sets can be used individually or combined into one enormous MOLECULE -- totally radical!
OK, BUT IS THE MOLECULE SYNTH FOR ME?...
YES! The MOLECULE SYNTH is for all musicians, kids, artists, makers, educators, designers, and ANYONE ELSE who enjoys experimenting and discovery!
You don’t need any technical knowledge whatsoever to enjoy improvising and exploring the possibilities of the MOLECULE SYNTH. In demonstrations of the MOLECULE SYNTH at ADX-Portland’s Open House, and at the June 28, 2012 Dorkbot-Portland Backspace Meetup, I watched as an incredible variety of people, ages 6 to 86, had their own fun playing with it. KIDS LOVE IT! -- it is designed and hand assembled to be a high quality musical instrument, with excellent sounding audio input and output that can be easily and reliably interfaced with other musical devices, but it is also a toy and is a freaking blast to tinker with, variable and crazy enough for the mad music scientist and beat chemist in everyone.
- (30 days)