[…] there is something special about Chronotopia that sets it apart from the rest! With a dynamic and diverse cast, and a wickedly captivating plot, this game is sure to be a commercial success for Träumendes Mädchen. - Nice Job Breaking It, Hero
- A unique take on a forgotten fairytale with many twists
- Branching story with around 10 endings and 30 hours of playtime
- An optional archives system to learn more about folklore
- Two GxG (Nahima and the Fairy) and one GxB (the "Prince") romances possible!
- Beautiful artwork, with animated backgrounds and special stained-glass illustrations
- A full original soundtrack with celtic influences
- Extensive use of RenPy 3D camera for a more dynamic presentation
- Several segments allowing you to freely explore the castle to discover its secrets
Here’s a short scene at the beginning of the game to show how the game plays and feels. It’s also a good overview of how we use the RenPy 3D camera plugin~
Chronotopia: Second Skin is a dark retelling of the fairytale of Donkeyskin, which is very similar to Cinderella. Here, instead of remarrying, the heroine’s father decides he should wed her instead, so she has to escape with the help of her fairy godmother to finally be able to meet the prince. And that’s where we present our version with a more...realistic and mature approach to spice things up. Of course, the choices you make will also affect her fate: she can either escape with her servant, become a fairy herself or die in a horrible way. Multiple times.
At heart, Chronotopia: Second Skin is a narrative game with point & click elements that strive to offer a unique experience. We love unusual stories with a twist and we have a very wide range of influences you may spot here: folklore, classical literature, anime (Haibane Renmei, Madoka Magica), videogames (American McGee Alice, Child of Light) as well as both Japanese and English visual novels (the Infinity series, Steins;Gate, Cinders, Long Live the Queen).
Chronotopia: Second Skin is quite an ambitious project because we really want to offer an adventure game of high quality with a good playtime. That’s why we turned to Kickstarter a few months ago to launch a first campaign to fund the project. However we only reached our main goal, which was the minimum required to finish the game, and because of that it’s really lacking event CGs at the moment. Since we’re coming closer to the end of development, we want to take this opportunity to fund a few more illustrations as they really help breaking the monotony of sprites/backgrounds, especially in a big game like this one. Hopefully it will make the full Chronotopia better!
As a side note, I, the team leader in charge of writing and programming, don't pay myself for my work to keep the company’s spendings in check until we make profits. I'm currently living off other means so if you want to support me personally, you can always subscribe to my Patreon~
Eirlysa Lawrence - Promotional Art
- Orlane ‘Helia’ Guéné - CEO/Writer/Programmer/Project Leader •
- Aurélie ‘Anako’ Gandon - Graphist (characters)
- Hyemi ‘Adirosa’ Park - Graphist (characters)
- Elijah Mae Sabdao - Graphist (characters)
- Brenda ‘Kat’ Bartolome - Graphist (backgrounds)
- Melody‘Melow’ Blaise - Graphist (logo, UI & other illustrations)
Interested by an add-on? Just add that amound of money to your pledge! We’ll make a survey before sending out the rewards so that you can specify which one you ordered.
On that note, here is a specific reward for people who already pledged in the first campaign and just want an extra physical item~
Risks and challenges
While the team has developed a number of visual novels in the past years, Chronotopia is our first commercial project. As such, we are bound to make some mistakes that could lead in delays. Even so, this is a possibility that can happen to every game studio, regardless of their experience. That's why, given our good track record so far, we're quite confident in our ability to finish this project, especially so close to the finish line!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)