Create, publish, prepare and play. A cloud-based application designed to enhance your tabletop RPG adventuring and storytelling.
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the difference between Player, Game Master and Game Designer access to content and functionality?
While there is only one Morningstar app, different functionality will be enabled based on whether you are a Player, Game Master or Game Designer. This is illustrated below.
- Create characters (standard, quick and simple methods)
- Manage characters (i.e., level up, evolving backgrounds, etc.)
- Customize your character sheet
- Add your own character art
- Write and share your adventure logbook
- Join a party to pass secret notes and socialize
- Roll cool virtual dice
- Flip through the Player Rules in interactive ebook format (i.e., races, classes, feats, gear, spells, etc.)
- Synchronize all the Morningstar modules in Game Night mode
- Display your hard-earned character badges and honors
- Receive Morningstar and community announcements
- Share your characters with the community
- Shop in-app for adventures, campaigns, and accessories (custom artwork, skins, dice, sound effects, etc.)
GAME MASTER - includes all PLAYER functions in addition to:
- Prep for adventures and take game play notes
- Organize large-scale campaigns (i.e., world events, high-level maps, notable NPCs)
- Create a party for easy game night mustering
- Track encounters (i.e., monsters, treasures, traps, etc.)
- Track characters (i.e., initiatives, hit points, status effects, etc.)
- Add or subtract monsters, traps, treasure on the fly
- Share maps and notes with players
- Write and share adventure and campaign logbooks
- Flip through the Game Master Rules in interactive ebook format (monsters, treasure, traps, NPCs, etc.)
GAME DESIGNER - includes all PLAYER and GAME MASTER functions in addition to:
- Create and share player badges and honors
- Create custom maps
- Modify or create custom monsters, trap, treasure, magic items, etc.
- Combine standard and homegrown elements with your own descriptions to build engaging encounters
- Link encounters and descriptions into compelling adventures for your players
- Create large-scale campaigns and settings from your adventures, illustrations and stories.
- Publish your adventures and campaigns in the Morningstar LibraryLast updated:
Morningstar is initially launching with support for the PRD (Pathfinder Reference Document) ruleset.
We are continuing to work with other game companies and partners to include additional rulesets. If there’s a system you think we should check out, please send us a note about it!
Most adventures can be run effectively with any ruleset. Game Masters can use Morningstar to run adventures, create content, organize party play, send and share messages, etc. even if they decide to use a ruleset not supported by Morningstar.Last updated:
We realize the PRD is a free ruleset.
Morningstar is much, much more than a rulebook or a character generator. It includes Game Master prep and adventure creation tools, game night trackers for monsters and characters, a social system for sharing and passing secret messages, and a publishing platform for the game. It makes complicated calculations and tracking information easy and fun allowing users to focus attention back on the game instead of looking up rules - what's the value of a few extra hours of roleplaying each session?Last updated:
Morningstar is nearly complete already, however, we originally designed the app to work with D&D 5e. Your Kickstarter pledges will enable us to refactor the app for the PRD.
More importantly, we have always envisioned Morningstar supporting fan-published content and storytelling. This is a new and exciting feature, and it will take resources to implement that final vision into the product.Last updated:
To become a published author with Trapdoor, submit your content. Remember, Trapdoor is also a trade fiction publisher, so this is an area we are familiar with :). If the community likes what they see, we will review your titles and sign a publishing contract with you. The percentage of revenue share in the sale of published adventures will be generous - exact royalty rates will depend on exclusivity and other factors.Last updated:
Morningstar will be free to download. For free, people will be able to create basic characters (limited levels), run a free adventure, and set up a party. There will be a cost associated with unlocking full functionality for players, game masters, and game designers (i.e., the Forge) similar to the pledge levels we are running.Last updated:
Yes! Spread the word. Have your friends come talk to us. We’re available!Last updated:
When the Kickstarter ends, we will kick into high-gear on fulfilling add-ons. Some add-ons will potentially take longer than others (like the Canvas of Uncanny Likeness–good art isn’t fast!) But we will keep you informed of how our progress is going!Last updated:
When a pledge level says "for a year", it means 12 months - not just until the end of the calendar year (Dec. 31st). Right?
Correct. Forge access for a year means 12 months starting from when the service begins. "An adventure per month" means 12 adventures starting from when you received the first one.Last updated:
Your lifetime level provides Forge access and adventures for 5 years. I'm expecting to live longer than that.
Kickstarter does not allow for lifetime subscriptions, so we figured 5 years is a pretty long time. If you stick with us for 5 years, we'll take care of you. Of course, by then, we will probably be accessing holographic roleplaying with neural shunts.Last updated:
At this point, we're in the same boat as the rest of the community - waiting to hear the news about OGL for 5e. When further details about the parameters of that license are released, we will absolutely support fifth edition as fully as possible within Morningstar.Last updated:
iOS tablets (except the 1st generation iPad), Android tablets and web will all be supported with the initial launch of Morningstar in April, 2015!Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question