Thank you for your patience over the last few months, and we sincerely apologize for the delay between updates. We wanted to make sure we exhausted all of our options before we delivered you any news.
We have been working to raise funds from outside investors to fulfill backer rewards, but we were unsuccessful. It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we announce that Hex Boards will close effective March 9, 2017. This is our final update.
For a limited time, our plastics manufacturer has agreed to directly fulfill orders from backers at an additional cost sufficient to cover shipping and material costs. This offer will be available to backers for the next 30 days only.
We wanted to also offer this option for our wooden products. But, earlier this week, Catan requested royalties for the liquidation, control over pricing, and shipping oversight from our manufacturer. Rather than risk running afoul of Catan Studios, our wooden manufacturer made the hard decision to destroy the remaining inventory. We’re all gutted by this turn of events and we worked hard to avoid it. But we completely understand our manufacturer’s decision—we were in a similar position with Mayfair Games a few years ago, and it almost bankrupted us.
To say we’re disappointed by this outcome would be an understatement of the highest order. We’re certain that you are as disappointed as we are, but we want you to know that our highest priority has always been delivering you a final product. Unfortunately, we underestimated the costs of bringing these products to market and are unable to finish this project. We feel that bringing this chapter to a close is the best resolution for all.
We realize that this is unfair to the backers who supported us throughout the years. While we know it’s not enough, we do have some production options available to you.
Here is the current status by product category:
- Resource Card Banks are ready for shipping.
- Seafarers board mold is ready, though funding is needed to start production. There is no minimum order quantity to begin a production run.
- Catan Bags were paid for in December and need to be shipped to the US. These are the only products we don’t have in-hand. There is a very low risk that these products will get lost at sea, but if that occurs, you will be issued a full refund since we won’t incur any shipping costs.
Instructions for obtaining these options are below.
Limited Time Offer - Details & Instructions:
Below is a table showing how to pay for the cost of getting each product to you. All costs are flat rate, and combined shipping is not available.
Orders are open until April 9, 2017. Orders received after 11:59pm April 9, 2017 will not be shipped.
NOTE: Every Seafarers Board paid for will include one Resource Card Bank set (two banks/set). This is what we originally promised and we’re trying to make right as best we can. This applies to both 5-6 player Seafarers Boards and 3-4 player Seafarers Boards.
To get a product shipped to you, click here:
If the image doesn't show up, here is the text link: https://www.paypal.me/uniboxenclosures
1. To place the order, input the total amount you’re paying. Add up the cost of each product you’d like to receive. If you’re an international backer, include the International fee for each individual product in the total. Combined shipping is not available, and if the correct total is not paid for, the order will not be shipped.
2. In the section marked “Add a Note”, list each product you’re paying to receive.
3. Input the best shipping address.
4. Click "Continue" and choose the best payment method (Debit Card / Credit Card / PayPal).
5. Click "Send Money Now"
6. Your order is now placed. Orders will be fulfilled in the order they are received.
Production updates and shipment tracking information will be provided by our manufacturer via the email used to place the order. If you have any questions regarding your order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Example Order: US-Based Backer
One 5-6 Player Seafarers Board and one Catan Bag: $50 + $30 = $80
Example Order: International Backer
One 5-6 Player Seafarers Board: $50 + $25 = $75
One Catan Bag: $30 + $20 = $50
Total = $125
A note from Bill Trammel, Hex Boards founder:
As we went through the process of shutting down our company, it’s been nice for me to look back and reflect on what was made possible because of your support.
Because of you, we were able to:
1. Create an affordable, attractive and organized game board for Settlers of Catan. No more Catan-quakes and having to take photos of a game board before making room for pizza.
2. Create card banks to keep resource, commodity and other Catan game cards organized during a game. No more hay stacks and resource card wastelands.
3. Make high-end wooden versions of both of these for the Catan aficionado.
4. Create an affordable, attractive and organized game board for Seafarers of Catan that makes setting up a game go from a 30-60 minute process to a less than 5 minute process. More games, more fun.
5. Create a carrying bag for Catan Boards and Catan games to make travel to and from game night easy and stylish.
None of these products would exist today if you hadn’t taken a chance on us early on. Although we ran into a lot of hiccups, about as many as I imagined physically possible for such simple products, most of you have continued to encourage me through all of them.
After we were unable to raise investment capital, I took a roll call of our resources and my personal health and realized I didn’t have enough of either to fulfill the Kickstarter. I accept responsibility for failing to deliver what I promised to you, and wish there was more that I could do.
Fortunately, our manufacturer has been very understanding, and has agreed to produce products at heavily discounted prices for those who would still like to receive them. I’ve been unable to pay them, and in order to make right as best I can, have given over all product design rights, assets and tooling to them.
This next paragraph is very important and I ask you to please take this very seriously.
Our manufacturer has been extraordinarily understanding through all this. They are providing this production out of their desire to get you the products you pledged for and will not be making very much, if any, money from this production. Please show them your appreciation for this by being kind to them. This is not their fault, and they deserve to be treated with respect, regardless of what you think of me.
As of today, I will no longer be involved, financially or operationally, in any of these products or these Kickstarter pages. I will be taking a long break from the start-up life while I recuperate and focus on getting my physical health back up.
Thank you for everything you’ve made possible.