by Tracmac Engineering
Charge/sync your iPad&iPhone, Made from aerospace grade aluminum, fine bead blasted then anodized for a perfect finish.
This project's funding goal was not reached on April 9, 2012.
See full bio
Use this space to cheer the creator along, ask questions, and talk to your fellow backers. Please remember to be respectful and considerate. Thanks!
Thanks for the lighting fast response and help. The connector was easily adjusted to fit my case. Yep - a little embarrassing on this end.
Great product - I'll be ordering another one soon.
@Brian Meskill: thanks for the review on our store!!!! made our day :)
thanks guys, we are chuffed with the product too, and cant wait for the iphone 5 to come out to adapt both the iphone and Duplex models to suit it. DJ: not sure if you have read the instructions (the instructions were just something we threw together quickly) but if it is not connecting please try adjusting the connector height by cracking loose the set screws and sliding so it sticks out a bit more, it might take a few attempts to get it just right but once set we have found that with most cases you can find the sweet spot. If need be please just PM me and ill do all that i can to walk you through any trouble shooting so you can enjoy the dock as much as we are! and as always Ill do my best to get back to you asap. Cheers guys
HUGE props for actually getting a product in my hands.
With that said, it doesn't work with gel skin (Ipad 1) or my griffin case (Ipad 3). Even pushing as hard as I can, no connection. I thought it may have been the cord but when removed from the dock, the cable works fine.
Overall, nice heavy construction. I would recomend if you dont use a case/skin.
Thanks Tracmac Engineering!!! I received my Black Billet Dock today for my iPad and it works just like what was promised. I currently have my iPad (3rd Gen) charging with my Belkin smart case on. Absolutely amazing! If your still waiting for your order, you should be getting yours shortly. I'm in SoCal, so the first stop for orders coming in from Australia, but they should reach the rest of the country in a few days. Great work Tracmac, you've created a truly great product!!
Thanks for the little update. I can't wait till my Billet Dock. gets here.
Just sent the PM. Thanks for the very quick communication!
Troy: can you please PM us on KS letting us know how/when you messaged us so we can do a systems check to make sure we can receive messages from our on line store and website. cheers.
sorry ill get on that, we are shipping this week! and were about to send an email out to all that have pre ordered asking what configuration (to work with a case, or with no case) our customers would like their dock shipped in, so there should be no need to adjust anything out of the box.
Has anyone ordered from Tracmac and received an update since the initial receipt? Tracmac: I've emailed my order number with no response on estimated delivery. I'll try again. Thanks.
Thanks for honoring the Free Shipping. Ordered mine just a few minutes ago. Thanks again!
also those that have already pre ordered will be refunded the shipping amount, sorry again for this oversight.
Thank you for bringing that error to our attention, as we did offer free shipping to our kickstarter backers we do want to honour this, however because we are now dealing with individual sales/fulfilment and now that the docks will be assembled in our Australian factory meaning most sales from the US will include the cost of air freight we will offer free shipping until the end of next month (05/31/012) in order to reward early re-backers and to help us accumulate orders to fulfil by that date, one month before our expected release date. By that point we can make a start on our second batch. If you guys find any other issues/bugs with our store please let us know! We really appreciate it as we are flat out in the workshop again this weekend preparing to make the first production docks so we can start shipping and anything that saves time outside the workshop is worth its weight in gold to us.
Is shipping included in the price of the pre-order on your website? When I selected "estimate shipping & tax" and enter my state (California) and zip, a statement appears that says, "Flat Rate International Airmail $19.95"...... Is California considered an International order for your company? or is this a mistake? I ask because US shipping was previously included via Kickstarter. Thanks in advance!
Sorry for the wait guys, the store is not far off, we are just working on the finishing touches of the store along and getting discount coupons ready for all of you kind backers, before we launch the store for pre orders and start production for our first shipment. I should be announcing the store open for business within 24hrs
Any news on when the website will be up and running for orders???
Bummer. Looked like it had a lot of promise, let us know if you guys do a smaller batch run as I will gladly buy one at a slightly higher price for that run.
I'm in. I believe it is a great item. Let's go for it!
thanks guys, will keep you posted!
Count me in for another instant backer should you decide to relist with a lower goal. As long as reducing the goal doesn't negatively affect your ability to accomplish what you want, I say go for it!
I'm sad that we aren't on track to get funded, but I appreciate the courtesies you've extended to the current backers. I'll be happy to pledge a new kickstarter or buy a dock from retail (appreciate the discount). Look forward to seeing what happens next. Keep us in the loop.
Thank you so much for your support in this product, while at the moment it looks like getting funded is looking unlikely, if we can show that there is demand for 50% of our goal (and about 200 backers) then we will continue to work on this project after the completion of the Kickstarter project and will either launch another kickstarter project (with a more realistic goal) once we are ready to ship and send samples to 3rd parties for reviewing, or go straight to retail. Either way we will keep everyone in the loop as to what we decide to do and how we are going with the project, and we also want to remind everyone that if the project is not successful they are not charged, and for being an early supporter if we go straight to retail they will receive a discount off the retail price.
The Tracmac Team
I pledged $173 but selected the Duplex dock as I didn't see a choice for 1 x Duplex + 1 x iPhone dock. I very much hope you are able to get Line Out built into all the docks as that immensely increases their usefulness!
yes the iPad version works with phones also
If you get the iPad version, would an iPhone4 fit it in it for charging?
the only thing the dock wont come with is an AC adapter.
Does the docks come with the cables and ac adapters or do we just reuse the ones we already have?
Updated my pledge for $127 (iphone, and ipad dock). Also helping to spread the word.
The pink anodizing process that we are using looks like the following image: http://carbon.lv/ebay/dye/pink.jpg and the purple looks like this http://media.photobucket.com/image/purple%20anodizing/a1320addict/Speed%2520Theory%2520Products/STPurple.jpg we will offer both colours if more than a few backers want either the pink or purple.
@ Hannah McCallum, we understand that what is shown looks too much like purple, if need be we should be able to offer both purple and e pink
Is the color pink in your photos really that color or will it e pink. What you show looks like purple.
Thanks TE i upped my pledge to $127 now lets get this thing funded. I'm spreading the word!!!
yes if you just add $69 to your pledge there is no need to change the reward selection, we will make sure that you receive both.
i have already pledged $58 for iPhone dock and would also like to pledge $69 for a single iPad dock. I'm not in need of the duplex version. Is that possible? thx bob
@ Jacob Matthews, We are working on adding the line level audio out to all docks, thanks for the suggestion. All docks will be capable of charging the devices at the full 5w iPhone or 10w iPad.
@ Troy, 2) We will be opening this single iPhone only option back up after quite a few requests.
3) The angle we have come up with after a few iterations works well for most situations, you can easily move the dock or seating position back a little to get the image in frame.
4) The sound quality for voice calls is quite good from both the iPad and iPhone speakers while docked in the billet docks. We will do some further testing of the internal chamber geometry to see what effect this has.
5) The iPhone model using the same easy to remove dock connector so it will be a simple 1 handed operation due to this custom connector and the weight of the soild aluminium dock.
Thanks for the questions so far we will be in contact and release further updates soon.
Thanks for taking the time to read a few of my comments. Maybe others will chime in if they agree or disagree:
1) As Jacob suggested, please consider a line level out. I regularly take my iphone into the garage, basement, etc, to listen to music. I would pay more for this feature if it has to be a separate model. Additionally, I would buy another unit. Quality of music is important to a few people if it's easily integrated into the iphone unit. Perhaps it's cheaper just to integrate it into all untis rather than manage two separate models, bill of materials, etc.
2) Please consider opening back up the iphone only option. I think your sales would increase greatly and hopefully guarantee this gets funded (in both buyer and sellers's best interest!). Right now, I have to purchase the 3 pack (iphone, ipad, and iphone + ipad) just to get the iphone dock, seems strange. I want all 3, but I think you will turn away customers that just want an iphone dock. I'd buy MORE if I could buy just the iphone dock, again, WITH the choice of line level out and no line level out. Lots of family members have iphones and they ALL would want a nice dock for the nightstand. Additionally, I "need" one for the nightstand permanently, one for the computer room, and then one that's mobile (garage, basement, etc). I think there would be demand for the iphone only unit and you'd see people buying more than one. I am only backing at the $1 level for now until I see what options you'll open up.
3) Is the angle (10 degrees) the best? I've done a lot of face time and am anxiously looking forward to using the dock for this (both ipad and iphone). I've been on conversations where the angle on the phone I'm talking to is way more than 10 and it's an odd angle. Hopefully you've spent time using your prototype at 10 degrees and that it's a good compromise. Just tossing that out there. Worst case I can prop it up in either direction, forward or back, to optimize in each unique situation.
4) Can you try to optimize the volume of air / hole cut outs to make sure the phone does not sound "boomy" during face time / speaker phone use? Maybe there's not much to optimize, I'm not sure.
5) Hopefully the iphone model slips in and out of the dock as elegantly as the ipad video you've posted. If so, that'd be great. I will use the iphone dock a multiple of times more than the ipad dock.
Thanks. Can't wait to use this product.
Hi. I know you're working with prototype connectors right now, so I thought I should jump in and express my desire for a good quality audio line out. I plan on having this dock as a fairly permanent fixture and would like to be able to pump audio through to speakers if I so desire.
While we're on the topic of the dock connector (and I'm sure you've already got this covered), but I hope the duplex dock gets a full 10W (2.1 amp) and 5W (1 amp) of power to the iPad and iPhone respectively.
thank you for your support, if the demand is there it is likely that we will offer this product on our own online store as well as through the distributors/resellers we are currently talking to.
Is there any chance to buy this product when the goal will not be reached? (of course I hope it will, but just in case)
We have just had a very busy weekend in the workshop, implementing some changes to the latest revision and testing our jigging methods on the mill to make sure we are production ready! We used our prototype jig to build 4 new Billet Docks two at a time and tomorrow we will send them to the coaters for anodizing in a range of colors so you can see what the finished product should look like! We will compile the videos/content to show our progress and will post this along with an update tomorrow morning so stay posted!
Hi Ethan, thanks for you pledge.
We have been developing the “Billet Dock” for iPad over the last 4 months. As far as we can tell nothing like this for iPad exists yet on Kickstarter or on the market. Although we focused on building a product we wanted to use on a daily basis with materials and manufacturing methods we have firsthand experience using on other products we have created. We followed the same recipe as many other past and current KS projects when it came to creating our rewards. Anodizing in colors costs significantly more per unit compared to clear bead blasted anodized finish that the majority of apple products including the iPad have. Along with International shipping costing more than domestic, it's all fairly standard.
So far we have already built and tested working prototypes organized manufacturing and finishing processes along with taking suggestions on board from private messages from backers on changes they would like to see to our dock and KS rewards. We are keeping people updated on all changes over the coming weeks to give them a very usable, high quality dock for their iPad. The iPhone version and duplex versions were added later in the design phase to allow the backers to have matching or combined dock sets if they have an iPhone 3/4 or iPod alongside the iPad based on early feedback when showing friends and family our prototype dock.
This project, right down to the pledge levels and rewards, is a wholesale ripoff of the Elevation Dock Kickstarter project.
While I can certainly understand the temptation of replicating one of Kickstarter's most successful projects, that doesn't make it right. I would encourage people to think twice before rewarding this kind of behavior. Don't take my word for it, go look up the Elevation version, compare the videos and everything else, and decide for yourself if this "Billet Dock" is legit.
thanks for the suggestions so far! in the coming week we will start posting private backers only videos of our progress so you can all track how we are going!
If you have a friend that is looking for a last minute Valentines gift dont forget to tell them that the Billet Dock comes in Red and Pink! we might even release a Valentines edition of the iPad Billet Dock! so keep posted for that!
1) Matte white would be nice.
2) Solmate case for iphone 4s
3) Cord with micro USB.
This dock is awesome! It will definitely compliment my Apple Bluetooth keyboard! Can't wait to use my billet dock in the office, nice work!
I would really love a white one as I have a new white Iphone 4S with a smart looking slimline white case which I really enjoy. I also think this could be a successful colour choice for you due to the popularity of the modern stone kitchens in the white colours proving to be most fashionable these days :-) Good luck I hope this product gets to market.
I’d just like to say a very big thank you for your support so far. As I mentioned in our video we are very interested in your ideas on how we can make this Dock better for you, our supporters! As you have shown an early interest in our project, your ideas will play an important role in how we develop your dock!
Here are a couple of questions designed to help us deliver the right product for you! So please let us know what you think by answering the questions below:
1. Currently with the exception of our limited addition green dock, we have the color range pink, red or black. If you could have the choice of an additional color what would it be?
2. Other than the apple smart case, and the iSkin Solo what case would you like to see us physically test with our Billet Dock?
3. The Billet Dock currently uses a cord with a male USB 2.0 connector. What other options would you like to see our dock incorporate?
Together we can make this product a reality, please spread the word!