Meet the TORQAMP ™
The first and only electric Turbo/ Supercharger available in the automotive aftermarket.
Worldwide, the most innovative product available in motorsport.
The TORQAMP is an electric compressor that pumps air under pressure in to your engine. In combination with engine tuning this results in more torque and power for your car.
Installing the TORQAMP is easy. It can be mounted directly on the intake manifold of your engine, the included set of 4 cables needs to be connected to the Power Box, car battery & user input and the installation is ready!
The TORQAMP is the most versatile and easy device to improve the performance of any engine.
Dependent on the engine size and tuning of the ECU, you will gain more torque and power with the TORQAMP.
The TORQAMP is easily installed, but also uninstalled.
The TORQAMP can be used to boost naturally aspirated engines.
The TORQAMP can also be used to eliminate turbo lag on turbo charged engines.
The TORQAMP even reduces soot on Diesel engines!
Registered and acknowledged by:
TORQAMP ™ Kickstarter Special
How the TORQAMP works!
To give a easy and quick idea on how the TORQAMP works, we included a short video on the functionality:
The following video shows how easy the TORQAMP is used to increase the pressure in the intake manifold of your engine and how quickly the performance of a car is improved with minor changes to the ECU:
The following video explains how the TORQAMP works:
And below you can find an elaborate video on how to install the TORQAMP:
The TORQAMP ™ results in only benefits!
- Plug & Play and standalone
- Usable on any engine and any engine size
- No radical or irreversible changes. Keep your car original!
- Easy and quick to install and uninstall
- No plumbing and no intercooler needed
- Can be mounted in any position
- Very compact
- Fits on any engine in any engine bay
- Can be easily installed on your next car or project as well
- Easy control and integration with any kind of vehicles Engine management and control systems!
- Instant pressure built up
- Torque increase of 35% or more
- Increases engine power up to 44%
- Eliminates turbo lag when used in combination with a turbo
- Universal aftermarket device with the largest torque increase and the quickest responsiveness. We only boost. You forget what lag was ……
Multiple & Open-source Control options:
- Simple ON/OFF lever switch placed under gas pedal (Standard in the kit)
- Control the TORQAMP speed based on Throttle Valve Position 0-5V signal (requires the TORQAMP Control Box)
- PWM signal from an output of your ECU (requires the TORQAMP Control Box)
- Combining with a Turbo? Control the TORQAMP speed based on the throttle valve position and intake manifold pressure (requires the TORQAMP Control Box)
Green technology solutions: Highest engine efficiency increase device in the aftermarket available, facilitates engine downsizing and Soot reduction on diesel engines. The TORQAMP can even be used to run fuel cells!
Performance and race industry: Versatile and easiest forced induction system available, Authenticity of vehicles maintained, large turbo spool-ups for high power applications, drive ability increase, boost control of any vehicles, responsiveness increased during transient engine behavior.
For Beginners & expert tuners
The TORQAMP is so easy to install, basically anyone can do it. But the TORQAMP can also be used to built complex high tech high power performance motor-sports applications.
For any vehicle,
Classic cars, modern cars, race cars, kit cars, your daily, 4X4's, pick-up trucks, as long as it has a combustion engine.
For any engine,
Even for power generators, tractors, trucks, boats, powersport vehicles, planes, the TORQAMP can change a heavy load into a small hump.
For installing the TORQAMP no dramatic changes are needed. Actually the car can remain in its original condition. For naturally aspirated engines, The TORQAMP can be placed directly on the intake manifold before the throttle body.
When installing the TORQAMP we distinguish between engines with a Manifold Air Pressure Sensor (MAP Sensor) and engines with a Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF Sensor).
In case of a MAP sensor the TORQAMP can be placed directly on the intake manifold or on an intake tube that is directly connected to the intake manifold.
As you can see in the picture below, in case of a MAF Sensor the TORQAMP can also be placed directly on the intake manifold or an intake tube that is directly connected to the intake manifold. Though, it is important that the MAF sensor is placed on the suction side of the TORQAMP.
On turbocharged engines the TORQAMP can blow directly into the turbo, or can be placed behind it on a parallel tube or even behind the intercooler on a parallel tube. We do suggest to use a by pass valve (which can be found in our website) since the mass flow on larger turbo charged engines can be relatively high.
Of course the TORQAMP comes with an installation manual, but we also made an installation video which can be found in our YouTube channel!
TORQAMP ™ Control Box
The TORQAMP can be controlled in several ways. From simple with a switch, to complex but made easy with the Control Box.
1. Lever switch
For simple and easy install the lever switch can be mounted below the gas pedal for instant boost. The lever switch is standard in the kit. This will give you the "kick-down" feeling.
2. Open ECU analog output
If you have an Open-ECU with analog output you can directly control the speed based on the map you program. The TORQAMP works with a 0-5V input to control the speed.
3. Open-source TORQAMP Control Box
We developed a simple Control Box that gives more flexibility in controlling the TORQAMP. This Control Box is equipped with several inputs and the output sets the speed of the TORQAMP. The values measured and send by the Control Box can be easily shown on the screen of your notebook. Programming the Control Box is very easy, even if you have limited programming experience. It is based on the well known Arduino system. The software and PCB layout is open-source and available on our website. So take one of the example codes for easy implementation and alter the settings or be inspired by this project and make your own Control Box.
The Control Box is equipped with an analog input which you can connect to your Throttle Valve position sensor. The Control Box reads out the value and converts this to the TORQAMP speed you want. For example, 70% throttle is 80% boost.
The TORQAMP works great with a large turbo build and can eliminate turbo lag. In this case you also have to connect the Control Box pressure sensor to the intake manifold of your engine. The TORQAMP will spool up the large turbo and when the turbo produces enough pressure the TORQAMP will decrease in speed. This results in a much more responsive engine and a huge torque gain at the lower engine rpm.
When you run with an Open-ECU but don't have an analog output, you probably have a PWM output available. If your have any experience with programming open ECU's you can write your boost map in the Open-ECU based on your own parameters. The PWM output is converted by the Control Box to a speed setpoint for the TORQAMP.
All you need is torque.
Weight: 2.4 kg
Dimensions: 180x190x155 (LxWxH in mm)
TORQAMP intake diameter: 76 mm
TORQAMP outtake diameter: 52 mm
Max over pressure: 0.4 Bar / 5.8 Psi
TORQAMP Power Box
Weight: 7.2 kg
Dimensions: 350 x 305 x 200 (LxWxH in mm)
Nr. of cables: 4
Cable weight: 0.6-1kg
Battery technology: Lithium Polymer
The design of the TORQAMP ™
4 years of development resulted in a durable design which is easy to scale up and based on the best materials. Each component of the TORQAMP is calculated extensively, is simulated in simulation software and produced in several prototypes. Each prototype was exposed to destructive testing, tests in extreme conditions and endurance tests.
High quality materials
Only the best materials available are selected for the TORQAMP. The semi-ceramic bearings are a nice example. These are pre-lubed with special high speed grease.
Also the electronics of the TORQAMP are selected on the application. Every chip or resistor is selected based on their usage in the automotive sector, but also based on the conditions in which they are used, such as exposure to heat and vibrations.
Different materials were researched for each application and extensively tested both in laboratory conditions as in vehicles.
Not only are all the parts of the TORQAMP designed to be more robust then theoretically necessary, also is the TORQAMP compressor is designed in such a way that most parts can be disassembled and re-assembled. This with the idea that our customers purchase a product for life and not just for the lifetime of their current car.
Easy scale up
Of course our first prototypes were designed to be functional, though most prototypes were already designed with series production in mind. The final design is production and assembly friendly meaning we can easily and quickly scale up our production!
Thanks to Kickstarter, you can become one of the first in the world with a TORQAMP. Specially for Kickstarter we made 3 different offers for the quick, fast and very fast. Next to the TORQAMP kit, we offer the Open-source Control Box and some cool merchandise.
The complete TORQAMP ™ kit!
The complete kit consists of a set of 4 cables, the lever switch, the Power Box, motor controller and of course the TORQAMP compressor.
TORQAMP™ Open source Control Box
As described before the Open-source Control Box can be used to optimize the TORQAMP specially for your application. You can connect TPS, a PWM signal and or your intake manifold pressure as input signals and program the settings yourself. If you are not able to program the board, no worries, we have some standard settings/ programs that you can download from our website.
TORQAMP™ Bypass valve
The TORQAMP By-pass valve is used in combination with a single TORQAMP kit, on engines with a displacement larger then 3.5 liters or turbo charged engines with a displacement larger then 2 liter (dependent on the turbo pressure ratio).
If the mass flow of the engine is larger then the mass flow the TORQAMP is able to move, the By-pass valve is used to prevent the TORQAMP from restricting the performance.
TORQAMP ™ Clothing. With our clothing you can proudly attend Motorsport events showing you are more then aware of the latest Motorsport developments!
TORQAMP ™ Bikini, for the ultimate car wash!
TORQAMP ™ Air fresheners. To make your car smell like fresh flowers and draw all good things towards you, like unlimited green traffic lights.
As soon as we reach our goal, we will directly start production. This could be within 2 days, but can also be after 60 days. Our suppliers are already informed and are following this campaign as closely as we are. Some suppliers need 2 weeks others possibly 6 weeks. To be safe we calculated 8 weeks for production , followed by 2 weeks of assembly, product testing and packing.
The TORQAMP founders and developers are Daniël Hilgersom a.k.a. the professor and Jelke Hoekstra a.k.a. the dude.
Daniël is a genius regarding electronics, applied physics and math. Daniël is responsible for the theoretical calculations behind the TORQAMP, the design of the electronics and the integration with modern vehicles. Daniël has a bachelor degree in Electronics and a masters degree automotive technology which he received at the Eindhoven University of Technology.
Jelke is responsible for the mechanical design of the TORQAMP, the optimization for series production and supplier selection. Jelke has a bachelor degree in mechanical engineering and a masters degree in entrepreneurship and new business venturing which he received at the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University.
More about our team can be found in the website.
Jelke and Daniel work in close cooperation with the Eindhoven University of Technology which resulted in the development of the TORQAMP. TORQAMP is a Spin-off of the Eindhoven University of Technology.
We set ourselves a boundary before entering/ starting on Kickstarter. We didn’t want to start a Kickstarter campaign if the product was not ready, tested extensively and if the product was not ready for series production. Seen the market potential of the TORQAMP, the disrupting effect it will have on the complete automotive sector and especially on the performance and race industry, we decided NOT to enter the market sooner than when we proved ourselves to have a product that would not break down, be easy to produce and scale up and that would only amaze our customers in the most positive way.
Therefor we tackled the best suppliers, selected the best materials and did several pre production runs to make sure we will perform 100% for the early adapters from Kickstarter.
Why are we in Kickstarter?
We simply participate in kickstarter to get our product out there and to directly scale up our production in order to make our product affordable. We spent 4 years of developing the newest innovation in the automotive aftermarket and couldn't wait to launch this campaign.
With the Kickstarter movie we have shown that we can transform a standard 2.0 naturally aspirated Lexus which is know to be a slow car, into a drift machine only by just adding the TORQAMP and a piggy bag for ECU optimization. We are convinced that the early adapters from kickstarter are open and interested in the newest and most innovative products available such as the TORQAMP.
But it's not only about performance increase and motorsport. We have the ambition to make every Diesel in the world cleaner, which can be done with the TORQAMP. But before we can do that we simply need a stable business which we hope to execute via Kickstarter.
Next to our green Diesel ambitions, we also have Hydrogen ambitions! Our TORQAMP is namely the perfect air compressor for fuel cells. The TORQAMP actually makes fuel cells more affordable since fuel cell air compressors (currently available in the market) are one of the more expensive components for these setups.
Frequently asked questions
1. How long does the battery last in the Power Box? Based on the tests on our test-setup we experienced that the battery is empty after 4 minutes of boosting at maximum mass flow (which is the most energy consuming), though our temperature management system switches off the TORQAMP to prevent overheating, after reaching a certain temperature limit which can already be after 2 minutes dependent on the conditions.
2. How is the battery charged? Inside the Power Box is a special 500W charging system which charges the internal battery when your are not boosting. So when you are cruising, or idling the engine, the Power Box is being charged. When you decide to boost, the charging system switches off, resulting in no load on your alternator, thus no load on your crank shaft, so more power available for acceleration.
3. Can I use the TORQAMP on my diesel engine? Yes, Diesels love the extra air. We currently even proved that we reduce soot with the TORQAMP.
4. Can I use the TORQAMP in combination with my Turbo/ Supercharger? Yes you can! It is very interesting and lucrative to combine the TORQAMP with a different compressor. For example we can eliminate the turbo lag of the traditional turbo charger, or fill in the low revs for the belt driven superchargers.
5. What is the normal price for the TORQAMP kit? Normally the price for the TORQAMP ex VAT is € 2.900,-- meaning € 3.500 ,-- including VAT in Europe.
6. Can the TORQAMP be repaired? Yes, the TORQAMP is designed to be repairable. Though, the TORQAMP is only allowed to be repaired by us. We strongly recommend not to tinker the TORQAMP since its a high speed device which builds up a lot of kinetic energy and consumes high electric power. For repairs one needs special tooling and some components can not be re-used after disassembly.
7. How long before the bearings are worn out? The TORQAMP is designed to last. Therefor when we selected the bearings after accurate load calculations, software simulations and laboratory testing, we selected bearings which are designed for heavier loads and higher RPM's.
8. Does the TORQAMP need maintenance? No, the TORQAMP is designed to be maintenance free.So no need to lubricate bearings, clean the electric motor or re-balance a compressor wheel. Its designed to last, without maintenance.
9. Do I get warranty on the TORQAMP? Yes, the TORQAMP kit comes with a warranty period of 1 year on the parts and produced components. We don't warrant your vehicle since that is dependent on factors such as condition of the vehicle, quality of the tune and the users behavior.
10. Do I need to change my alternator? No, we designed the TORQAMP to be a plug and play device which is suitable for almost all cars. Cars in general have an alternator which is able to put out 1.5 kW. This is not enough for TORQAMP compressor motor which is 5 kW. But this is more then enough for the internal charger in the Power Box which is on 500 W.
11. Can I mount the TORQAMP on my ATV or motorbike? The TORQAMP is designed for engines with a displacement of 1.6 liter up to 3 liter. Most ATV's and motorbikes have a smaller displacement which means that the mass flow through the engine is smaller. Boosting at a small mass flow results in compressor surge. This is a phenomenon of pressure fluctuations which will result in compressor damage. Therefor we don't advice to use the TORQAMP on smaller engines. Occasionally we do apply the TORQAMP on smaller engines, but then we make sure the TORQAMP is activated at higher motor RPM's so that the mass flow is already big enough to prevent compressor surge. Next to that, ATV's and motorcycles have very limited alternator power, so charging the Power Box with 500W could be a problem.
12. Can I mount the TORQAMP on my airplane? Yes, when the airplane is equipped with a combustion engine, the TORQAMP would improve the performance of the motor at higher altitudes. Though, some small alterations would be needed due to continuous usage .
13. How much fuel do I save with the TORQAMP? The TORQAMP is initially not developed to reduce the fuel consumption. When using the TORQAMP on Petrol engines, the fuel consumption will only increase when you press your pedal to the metal. Looking at Diesel engines, we recently researched the possibilities to actually reduce fuel consumption. We are currently researching and testing this on actual trucks and marine engines.
14. How long do I need to charge after boosting? In general we say 1 second of boosting needs 10 seconds of charging. But basically you don't need to pay attention to that. It all goes automatically.
15. How do I remap my ECU? When you don't know how to do this, don't do this. Of course you can try it, but there are several factors such as ignition timing, air fuel ratio, valve timing which could lead to destructive results for your engine. We advice to go to your local tuner and ask them to remap your ECU. If you do want to do it yourself, follow a class or get instructions from a specialist.
16. Do I need a larger car battery? No, the TORQAMP has a battery of its own in the Power Box. It also has an internal charging system which automatically charges the battery as soon as you are not boosting.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Therefor we have already been driving around and testing for 3 years now with several TORQAMP kits! You can’t imagine how impatient and enthusiastic we are to finally launch the TORQAMP on Kickstarter.
Below several Dyno graphs of cars boosted by the TORQAMP. As you can see the torque of every car is strongly amplified. That's why we call it the TORQAMP.
Risks and challenges
Regarding the TORQAMP design, production and delivery, there are no risks nor challenges to overcome. The design is already completely finished and tested extensively. We tackled the best suppliers, already performed several small production runs and are together with our suppliers ready for scale up!
Using the TORQAMP does impose risks for the user or actually for the users application. In tuning, it is very simple, if you ask more performance you will get more performance but there will always be the risk that something is over stressed or not designed for the higher power output.
We chose a safe boost level of 0.4 bar simply because it is a safe pressure for most engines out there. Even the engines with a higher compression ratio of 1:12.5 should cope without a problem with the 0.4 bar over pressure. Though we can't guarantee your engines performance since there are numerous reasons that could cause problems such as, wear, oil level, oil changes, bad compression, extremely high compression, poor cooling, bad filters, incorrect usage of the engine, extreme conditions etc. etc. etc.
We do guarantee the performance of our product. Each TORQAMP kit is sold with one year warranty.
Important to realize before purchasing and installing the TORQAMP: The TORQAMP is designed for non road use only. Meaning its designed to be used on a race track, off road track or on your private property. Following our local rules here in Europe, each vehicle equiped with a TORQAMP should be certified individually. We are however working on certification of the TORQAMP kit.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter