About this project
#8 posted 9/13 movements arrive video......water test #2
#7 posted 9/7 sapphire glass ......
#5 The TOOL WATCH was picked up by UrbanDaddy in Chicago and ran a nice page one. They connected with the idea and get it......................Read it for yourself. http://www.urbandaddy.com/home/chi
To make products in America of Rugged Functional Beauty, A brand that cool products can be created for, products that have an American Legacy. My Grandfather owned a hardware and implement store in South Dakota that has provided the namesake and inspiration for the brand Berkbinder & Brown. The first item evolved out of a desire to have a watch for my active pursuits, a watch built for work, a "tool not a jewel". The watches I own that are serviceable are ugly, my nice watches are too "nice" to abuse doing the things I do. I set out 2-1/2 years ago to make a watch. This was more involved than I ever imagined. In that time, I have machined and hand-built prototypes, and currently am working with a talented machinist on production prototypes. In order to make this project a reality, production needs to be beyond my hand-made pieces. The plan is to produce a run of the watches. Kickstarter funds will allow this to happen, funding the manufacturing of the cases, hands, dials, etc........... and giving supporters the opportunity to receive very cool offerings including a TOOL WATCH. As important as raising funds is, the ability to measure support for the watch and brand is equally important. Is there a market for this or not? We will find out.................THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
On the technical side: Here is a run down.
- THE MODEL - T46 is the designation given to this piece. The "T" indicates it is the TOOL WATCH and the 46 indicating the case size. Providing this launch is successful there will be other models.
- THE CASE - 46mm x 13mm two piece case. It is closed with a series of miniature bolts on the back and sealed with an "O" ring gasket. It is machined on a CNC lathe and mill from a solid bar stock. The lugs holding the strap are internal to the case and thus do not produce a large foot print on the wrist making an otherwise large 46mm case appear trim and compact. The back permits viewing of the movement and rotor through a crystal window. This allows you to see the heart of the watch.
- THE CASE METALS - Alloyed 655 Bronze or 316 Stainless Steel. Depending on color preference. My favorite is the bronze, it is a rich golden brown and over time will take on a rich patina that will enhance the character of the case. The stainless steel case is handsome and durable in a matte finish.
This is the Bronze material for color reference from a Prototype.
- THE MOVEMENT - is an automatic (selfwinding) ETA 2824-2 and the date is @4:00. It is Swiss, made with 25 jewels with Incabloc Novodiac shock protection. This movement is a workhorse and the movement of choice in many luxury watches selling for multiples of what the TOOL WATCH will retail for.
- THE WATER RESISTANCE - of the case is currently tested at 5ATM, (50 meters). By the time testing is completed it should be extended to 10ATM (100 meters) or beyond.
- THE DIAL - is matte black with luminous Arabic numerals, the T46 model designation and the Berkbinder & Brown logo in red. It was designed with a simple straightforward look making the dial easy to read.
- THE HANDS - are simple with luminescent treatment for easy reading in low light environments.
- THE SWEEP HAND - is prominent and readable.
- THE CROWN - is a screw down with gasket diving crown, located at 4:00. The crown is larger allowing easy manipulation, the offset at 4:00 will not create any discomfort interfering with the back of the wrist.
- THE CRYSTALS - are a thick durable 3mm mineral glass for the face and 2mm mineral glass for the exhibition back, allowing full view of the movement.
- THE BEZEL SCREWS - are stainless steel on all cases and protect the crystal, as well as, add to the aesthetic of the watch.
- THE STRAP - Calfskin in black or brown, with heavy stitching. Unless specified with your order the straps will be brown or black for the stainless or bronze case respectively. The strap is held in place by spring bars.
You can see how the strap is integrated into the side of the case, eliminating the external lugs.
Here are a few of the steps along the way:
Hand Built Prototype in Bronze
CADD Model for Production Prototype
NEW $40 reward for those that have asked for extra straps and strap options.
Leather in brown or black w/ springbar tool and extra springbars.
Black Silicone with Stainless Steel deployment clasp.
Stills on the Wrist
Some you have asked for stills on the wrist. Here are a few please note the crown will not be recessed as shown in the photo. Photo 1 wrist 6-1/2" Photo 2-3 wrist 6-3/4"
If all goes well you should expect other models. Models from other materials, different case designs, perhaps models that you can custom build from a portfolio of case materials, colors, dials, different bezel screws, hands, and straps to make the watch more personal. But one link in the chain of destiny at a time.
Support this project
- (45 days)