About this project
What is Circuit Bending?
"Circuit Bending is the creative recycling of common discarded technology, often children's toys, by opening the device and soldering in new connections to create unique musical and video instruments." - Roth Mobot
What makes circuit bending so cool is that ANYONE can do it! All you need is curiosity, a screwdriver, and a willingness to experiment. Circuit bending is a gateway into electronics, art, music, and making!
What is the Circuit Benders' Ball Nashville?
The Circuit Benders’ Ball is a daylong symposium dedicated to the art of the bend, taking place on Saturday, September, 29th. It will feature two stages, over a dozen performers, an interactive art gallery, and workshops. Workshops 10am-7pm. Music 8pm-1am. Our inspirations are the multi-city Bent Festival, The Fuse Factory in Columbus, OH, the eSymposium in Chicago, Illinois, and, of course, Reed Ghazala, the father of circuit-bending!
We have invited circuit bent artists from Tennessee and beyond to perform and lead electronic workshops. The afternoon workshops are open to all ages and all levels of experience. In the evening, experimental musicians and sound artists will perform with circuit bent instruments, custom-made electronics, and/or battery-powered electronic devices. Genres will range from ambient soundscapes to aleatoric noise to EDM influenced grooves.
So: if you are into (or merely curious about) experimental music, making, electronics, art, DIY, hacking, and sonic mayhem, this event is for you!
The all-day event will take place on Saturday, September 29th, 2012 at Brick Factory Nashville, a hackerspace, community workshop, educational facility, art gallery, and performance space.
- Roth Mobot - Chicago
- Blight Side of Life - Nashville
- Brain Lesion - Murfreesboro, TN
- Elegant Bassterds (Ben Marcantel and Derek Schartung) - Nashville
- Josh Gumiela, Kelli Shay Hix, Lucas McCallister - Nashville
- Hadals - Nashville, TN / Montgomery, AL
- Joey Molinaro - New York City
- Nashville Robotic Philharmonic - DeKalb, IL
- Pimpdaddysupreme - Nashville
- Pineapple Explode - Nashville
- Posttaste - Nashville
- Teletron Orchestra - Nashville / Murfreesboro
- Chip to be Square: Build Your Own Synth w/ Josh Gumiela. 10am - 1pm
- Intro to Circuit Bending w/ Roth Mobot. 2pm-5pm
- Build a Buckawatt Bent Boost Kit w/ Zach Adams. 5:30pm-7pm
We Can't Do This Without You!
The CBB is a nonprofit festival. The staff volunteer their time and energy with no monetary compensation. In order to attract the best and brightest in the Circuit Bending community from all over the United States, we need your financial support. All donations will go toward artist compensation, advertising, set decoration, and workshop materials. The more donations we generate, the bigger and better the festival! Show your support by donating!
Video credits on the YouTube version.
More info at www.circuitbendersball.com.
Support this project
- (22 days)