About this project
The RE/Mixed Media Festival is a celebration of collaborative art-making and creative appropriation. It's the artists' contribution to the ongoing conversation about remixing, mashups, copyright law, fair use, and the freedom of artists to access their culture in order to add to and build upon it.
The festival - which will take place at 3 venues in the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY - features performances, panel discussions, hip-hop, sampling, beat-box, film & video, fashion, DIY, food, DJs, technology, interactive installations, painting, sculpture, software, hacking, and much more!
The first festival in 2010 was a huge success where over 1800 festival goers enjoyed appearances by Moby, Steinski, Ricky Powell, Sweatshoppe, Deanna Zandt, Jesper Juul, and over 50 other artists, performers, musicians and DJs! This year, the festival's artistic advisory board - which includes Paul D. MIller (aka DJ Spooky), Elisa Kreisinger, Josephine Dorado, Christopher Weingarten, Noah Tarnow and others - have helped us put together a day of truly top-notch art and performance. The lineup hasn't been 100% confirmed but some of the highlights will include:
* The world premiere of the full "64 Paintings/64 Plays," a multimedia mindscape which workshopped at Bowery Poetry Club in June to packed houses and received tremendous positive critical response.
* A video remix program curated by one of the artistic leaders of the field
* A critical panel discussion on sampling and Hip Hop culture featuring legendary hip hop artists, writers, critics, and DJs
* An interactive Art & Technology exhibit with artist talks & demonstrations/workshops in creating interactive art using MS Kinect and more!
* A live game show that will challenge your knowledge of remix culture and other critical issues.
Some of our past collaborating organizations have included Open Video Alliance, Creative Commons, Participatory Culture Foundation, Organization for Transformative Works, Question Copyright and Public Knowledge.
Our $2,500 goal represents only about 25% of this year's budget (the rest will be covered by fundraising and ticket sales) and will help us pay for things like: our office rent and supplies, venue rental, insurance, transportation, publicity & promotion etc. There's a lot to pay for so please keep funding even if we've met our goal!
This year's festival will be held at: One Arm Red, The Water Street Bar and Restaurant's Underwater Lounge and a third location TBA.
Here are some photos from last year's fest to whet your appetite.
Support this project
- (30 days)