CALLING ALL COFFEE LOVERS Sign Up for Our Newsletter to be Entered in our Social Media Giveaway and WIN Free Coffee for a year! Watch till the end of the video to find out more!
Phase One of the Tomo Yodo project is complete. We literally 'bought the farm', planted new coffee, and upgraded the cabin.
Phase Two will focus on people, sustainability, and infrastructure at the farm.
A critical issue facing the coffee industry today is the extremely low prices paid to coffee farmers. By managing the entire process, Tomo Yodo will be able to invest more into the farm and the people that are essential in delivering a great cup of coffee to you. We want you to be a part of the journey, Ground to Grounds.
Your pledge will be used for:
(1) Hire additional people for the farm - There are underemployment issues in the 'Southern Zone' of Costa Rica. By relying on traditional methods of growing coffee, we are able to use more of the raised funds to invest in the farm, the people, and the community.
(2) Partner with local schools to provide any needed supplies to enrich the educational experience.
(1) Pursue Fair Trade, Organic, and Rain Forest Alliance certifications
(a) Continue the use of all traditional techniques for growing coffee
(b) Avoid the use of harmful chemicals
(c) Avoid the use of fossil fuels
(d) Continue planting shade trees, vegetables and fruits for biodiversity.
(2) Install a more efficient irrigation system to reduce water consumption
(1) Finish construction of our small processing facility on site, allowing more local control
(2) Upgrade coffee processing equipment
(3) Build additional coffee drying beds
(4) Upgrade the corral where we store coffee and equipment
Who doesn't want swag, right? We have some great rewards.
(a) Coffee mugs (may be used for tea if approved by the Tomo Yodo Hot Beverage Council)
(a) Light, medium, or dark roast... whole or ground.
3. Stay at the cabin
Transparency is at the heart of what we do. We want you to know where your coffee comes from, who handles it, and how it gets to your kitchen. The two-bedroom cabin is available for those who want to visit.
Enjoy amazing views of Costa Rica and Panama while you sip on YOUR coffee.
Spend a day on the farm with Mainor as he and the crew care for YOUR coffee plant. Visit the corral to see the animals that help us grow YOUR coffee. If Mainor has time, he may even be able to give you a machete lesson!
If you are fortunate, you may even get a visit from the monkeys that pass by most days!
So join us on the journey, Ground to Grounds!
Risks and challenges
Fortunately, this is not a high risk project. Since we are committed to a traditional process, we know it works. Weather and the unpredictability of farm animals may have an occasional impact on the day-to-day operation at the farm, we are a hardy and flexible group. We are fully prepared to improvise and work through any obstacle in our way on the farm.
After the coffee leaves the farm, we have relationships with exporters who will arrange shipments to the US. Once in the US, we will hand deliver it to our coffee roaster and carefully monitor the roasting and packaging process.
While it's tempting to say that we've thought of everything, there may be something new. But rest assured, we are problem solvers and will maintain complete transparency on not only issues that may arise, but also our progress and solutions to the issues.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)