CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL directed by Hiroshi Nishikiori
A sparkling new idol anime project, brought to you by the director of A Certain Magical Index and Azumanga Daioh, Hiroshi Nishikiori!
This is anime production studio Symphonium! Born for this very project, Symphonium was established by animation director Hiroshi Nishikiori and producer Yasutake Honjo in July 2015 with the vision to create a brand new form of anime.
CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL is a new CG animation project being produced through crowdfunding. This heartwarming idol anime depicts the passionate performances and everyday lives of three “underground idols” - young fledgling idols mainly active in live music venues, yet to appear on the media.
If this project is successfully funded, the following anime will be produced!
- Title: CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL
- Length: 45 minutes total (15 minute anime feature + 30 minutes of bonus content) *Only the anime feature is included in the download version.
- Language: Japanese
- Subtitles: English
- Blu-ray Region: Free
- Release: November 2016
By reaching our goal we’ll be able to make an anime of at least 15 minutes in length, but with everyone’s support we can make it even longer! (See our stretch goal below!)
With the success of this project as a first step, we hope to be able to turn this anime into a series - one that walks and grows alongside its fans!
We hope you will join in on supporting and cheering on these girls as they pursue the path to becoming idols!
CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL is the story of three young girls in the old towns of Tokyo who dream of becoming idols.
They can’t get into a talent agency, nor do they have any albums released - but they can’t sit around and wait for that to happen! They want to get up on stage and perform with all their hearts - now!
CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL is a brand new idol animation project, depicting underground idol girls whose activities are centered around live performances. This episode in-the-making will unveil the very first live performance of the 3-girl idol unit, Pâtithree, the events leading up it, and what happens afterward!
The story in the anime will be based on the comic (currently available on the official website), and will continue on to depict the developments that follow, so be sure to check out the comic first!
Fifty pages of the official comic in English are available to read for free here!
1. Fans Walk Hand-in-Hand with the Idols-to-Be!
This is an anime which operates on crowdfunding, enables interaction with the production staff via social networking platforms and the official website, and encourages exchange of ideas and fan voting in English too. Just like idol fans support their favorite idols, we’re experimenting with this style of direct fan support, but for the creators of the anime and the production process! We believe that this fan participation will also become a key part of the experience and fun!
2. The Girls’ Passionate Performances and Everyday Lives, Drawn in Beautiful Cel-Shaded CG
Above all else, the highlight of this anime is the depiction of the adorable girls’ daily lives and high-energy performances, and that adorableness is best depicted through our cel-shaded CG technology, producing dynamic 3D CG without losing the hand-drawn feel of traditional anime. Watching the girls’ daily toils come to fruition on the stage will inevitably move you to tears. Sing with your idols during their performance scenes, and share the joy of cheering them on with your fellow fans!
3. Incorporating Fans Worldwide!
We aim to create an anime that fans throughout the world will enjoy, so we’re running our crowdfunding project on two platforms during almost the same timeframe - Makuake for the Japanese community and Kickstarter for the English-speaking community! (The ultimate length of the anime will depend on the total sum of funds raised from both Kickstarter and Makuake, but please rest assured that even if only the Kickstarter is successfully funded, our anime will be produced at a minimum length of 15 minutes!)
We’re incredibly grateful that Japanese anime is enjoyed by fans around the world today, so we would like to incorporate the international community as much as possible in this project!
(As mentioned above, you can read the official comic in English here!)
We at Symphonium are a CG animation studio launched by anime director Hiroshi Nishikiori and original planner/producer/scenario writer Yasutake Honjo.
We’ve both been so excited to get this project off the ground that we’ve invested our own money and have worked tirelessly over the last six months to produce a 4-minute 3DCG promotional video, theme song, official site, a 50-page comic, image boards, and more.
Now we need your help to make this anime a reality!
Hiroshi Nishikiori (Director)
Twenty years have passed since I began working as an animation director. In that time, I’ve been involved with many works, including TV series and films.
Lately, I often hear people in the industry talking about things like “how will animation be released from here on out?” and “will it really be alright to rely on DVD sales?”
For this project, we’ve taken on crowdfunding as a method to create anime through the support of its fans. And we want to involve fans throughout the entire world.
CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL depicts the lives of young girls giving it their all to achieve their dream of becoming idols. Tenka and the others bear a sincere and strong desire to sing and have their songs reach many people. That’s the core of this project, and that’s what we’ve decided to present to the world.
In the future, we’d also like to pursue next-gen forms of entertainment, such as virtual live concerts and VR.
Please join Tenka and the girls as they spread their wings and soar throughout the world.
We hope you will support CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL!
A freelance director who graduated from Tokyo Designer Gakuin College and has worked for T2 Studio and Nippon Animation.
Nishikiori made his directorial debut with the TV series I’m Gonna Be an Angel!. Some of his other works include Angelic Layer, Azumanga Daioh, Melody of Oblivion, Jyu-Oh-Sei, Ghost Slayers Ayashi, A Certain Magical Index, Trinity Seven, and Milky Holmes TD. He has also worked on such films as The Doraemons: Doki Doki Wildcat Engine, Magic Tree House, and A Certain Magical Index the Movie.
Yasutake Honjo (Producer, Original Planner, Scriptwriter)
A graduate of the Keio University Department of Literature and Philosophy. Honjo has edited comics as well as directed, produced, and written the scenario for many bishoujo games. He is the CEO of Symphonium.
His standout works include the doujin visual novel Resign (scenario writer, director), and bishoujo games including Seifuku Tenshi (scenario writer, director, producer), which won the Moe Game Award 2012 for Best New Brand. In addition to producing the CHIKA*CHIKA IDOL project, Honjo is also in charge of the scenario for the comic and anime.
Anime Production: Behind-the-Scenes
Want to know more about this project? Check out our featured article on Tokyo Otaku Mode!
As many of you know, anime is commonly viewed for free around the world, making Blu-ray and DVD sales (the main source of revenue for anime production) very difficult. As it is already, the Japanese anime industry is a harsh place for anime creators, who have no choice but to work long hours on minimal pay just to ensure that anime is produced. That is why we are taking the initiative to search for new ways to create anime, in order to be able to continue bringing fans around the world the anime that they love!
With crowdfunding, we aim to create an anime series born from the direct support of its fans. Not only do fans get to directly support the production of the anime, they also get to receive special, unique rewards!
Furthermore, we intend to give back to anime creators their deserved share of returns. We believe that with this model of direct fan support, ethical pay in the anime industry could become a reality.
Upon successful funding, we plan to use funds for the following:
- Planning/Production Costs (director, scenario, color design, illustration, design, site creation)
- CG Production Costs (color design, background art, editing)
- Sound Production Costs
- Reward fulfillment Costs
- Crowdfunding Costs
- Various Other Costs (management, advertising, translation, taxes)
- Tenka Akasaki: Marika Kono (Rin Kohana in Seiyu’s Life!, Nami Jougasaki in Rail Wars!)
- Sumi Yuki: Yuki Kuwahara (Hime Arikawa in Himegoto, Hakua Shiodome in Shomin Sample)
- Abigail Williams (Abbey): Rika Tachibana (Sae Kobayakawa in The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls, Reiko Arisugawa in Shomin Sample)
- Hisame Nagasawa: Ayane Sakura (Nao Tomori in Charlotte, Cocoa in Is the Order a Rabbit?)
- Yataro (Cat): Yuri Yamaoka (Erika Yano in Shirobako, Ai Shindo in Beyond the Boundary)
- Director: Hiroshi Nishikiori (A Certain Magical Index series, Azumanga Daioh, etc.)
- Original Concept/Scriptwriter: Yasutake Honjo
- Character Design/Comic: Mochiko Kagamino
- CG Producer: Tatsuo Miura (Ginban Kaleidoscope: animation director; SoniAni: Super Sonico the Animation: episode director)
- Modeling Director: Wataru Matsunaga
- CG Director: Takafumi Gorai
- CG Production: F_sik (Arpeggio of Blue Steel -Ars Nova-: production cooperation)
- Art Director: Kinichi Okubo (Tiger & Bunny, Trinity Seven)
- Color Designer: Koi Irie
- Editor: Masahiro Goto (Real-T) (Prison School, Selector Spread Wixoss)
- Director of Photography: Yu Wakabayashi (T2 STUDIO) (Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Pyrophoric Cult, Yuyushiki)
- Sound Director: Hiroshi Nishikiori
- Sound Effects: Yasumasa Koyama (Girls und Panzer, Shirobako)
- Sound Production: Studio Mouse (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Aikatsu)
- Design: Wataru Osakabe (Penguindrum, Yurikuma Arashi)
- Theme Song: Kosei Yamashita
- PR: terrakei
- Producer: Yasutake Honjo
- Planning/Production: Symphonium Inc.
Kickstarter Project Members
- Product Organizers/Animation Production: Symphonium Inc.
- Marketing/Promotion: Tokyo Otaku Mode Inc., AWESOME JAPAN
- Backer Support & Reward Distribution: Tokyo Otaku Mode Inc.
- Coordination: AWESOME JAPAN
If we receive funds above our initial goal, we will aim to extend the total length of the anime, and add subtitles in more languages!
- Length of anime will be extended depending on amount of extra funding received.
- Subtitles in additional languages besides English will be added depending on amount of extra funding received.
We’ve been working nonstop to prepare for this project for the past six months out of our earnest wish to bring a new form of anime to the world. Everyone, we await your support!
Risks and challenges
About Refunds (After Kickstarter Funding Ends)
As the funds raised from this Kickstarter campaign will be put into funding the anime production immediately after the Kickstarter campaign ends, refunds will not be possible 21 days after the end of this Kickstarter . Refunds will only be provided at our discretion, or in the case of a serious error on our end.
About Delivery of Rewards
Rewards are scheduled to be shipped in November 2016.
We have made strict schedule calculations to ensure that your rewards will be shipped on time. However, above all, our goal through this Kickstarter project is to create an amazing anime that backers will enjoy. To ensure the quality of the anime, it is possible that the project may be extended, in which case the delivery of your rewards will be delayed to a later date. Should this be the case, backers will be notified immediately.
*Please note that although it is stated above that rewards can be shipped anywhere in the world, it may not be possible to ship to certain areas as delivery may be restricted for safety or other reasons. In these cases we reserve the right to act at our discretion. Please contact us if you believe your area may be subject to shipping restrictions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)