Together, We Can Build!
Christian faith-based children books for Children of Color.
Together, We Can Build!
Christian faith-based children books for Children of Color.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Wed, October 30 2019 1:35 PM UTC +00:00.
I’m happy you're here, stay awhile.
The short of it.
I have written and published 5 Faith-based Christian books with Black children in mind. These books are geared toward any age for identity purposes, but the target audience are babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, and early readers. (Scroll down to Foundational Principles for more information of each book.)
The long of it.
Unfortunately, we are all well-aware of the lack of diversity in children’s books for Black children. The lack thereof is greater in the Christian/Biblical arena. More importantly, not only is there a lack of diversity in Christian books for Children of Color, but also a lack of truth in the identity of who Black children really are, who they represent in the Bible.
When I was a child, I watched many cartoons and shows where there were not any brown people. I often time envisioned myself as a White girl. I thought the prettiest White girl of them all was the blonde hair, blue eye type.
Imagine, this little black girl, envisioning herself, her skin, her genetic make-up, how God made her, as undesirable and ignored. Something that she was born with and could never change. Imagine, the gloom and psychological damage done by such marginalization. Praise God I grew out of that and have happily embraced my Blackness, but what about other Black children?
Furthermore, I was blessed to have a Bible. My first Bible had images of White children. I was always drawn to reading the Bible but could never stick with it. I mean, how could I? I wasn’t in there, at least that was what I thought and what I was taught.
As an adult, and avid Bible reader and follower, a few years back, God revealed the truth unto me. That most of the people we read about in the Bible are BLACK!
- Wait? What? How so? Who told you that?
Well, when Jesus was leaving earth, He told his followers that He’d be sending someone else back, the Spirit of Truth, AKA the Holy Spirit. And the Holy Spirit has led me in all truth. I’ve been blessed to have my eyes opened and ears to hear and I’ve been called to SHOUT it out loud. Or in Biblical terms, CRY unto Jerusalem. Should you want to know where this information is in the Bible, I will happily share it with you, BUT at a later time. I just can’t right now because I have funds to raise and a work to do😊
- A little bit of Black History
Jesus’ second commandment is to love our neighbor as ourselves, but how can we love someone else if we do not love ourselves first. How can we love ourselves if we don’t know who we are or where we have come from?
Black Americans have been lied to about our history. Ask a typical black American where they come from historically, and most will say that we arrived to America on slave ships from Africa and that we originally were Egyptian Kings and Queens.
This is a half-truth.
Ask a typical Black American about the Bible, even those that believe in God, and it points back to Slavery. I’ve come across many of my Black brothers and sisters that will not even touch a Bible because it’s the “White man’s religion” because it was used to keep us enslaved and impoverished, so on and so on.
White Europeans did in fact use the Bible to keep us enslaved. They misused the Bible to mistreat us. True! But the Bible is not a “White man’s religion”, it is the Black man’s history.
Our history does not start and end with Africa and slavery. Our history starts and ends with Genesis and Revelation. Slavery is a small piece of our past. Being culturally derived from Egypt is a small piece of who we are.
We are from a Royal Priesthood, a chosen people, a peculiar people set apart by the Most High God, himself.
Now this is not a race thing, this is a TRUTH thing. God is a God of all truth. It is important for all people of all nations to stand up for God’s truth.
It is time for Black Americans (or others scattered abroad) to rise up to their former glory. To rise up to “chosen” standard that the Lord has placed upon us. For my Bible readers, it’s time to be grafted back in to the Root. It is time for our Black children, and adults alike, to see their place in the Bible. It’s time for the nations to rightfully acknowledge God’s chosen people.
This is not to say White People, Indian People, Asian people, or any other nation are less loved by God. However, isn’t it time for the Black nation to know that they are?
The time is now!
What’s my purpose?
God has sent me to repair the breach and to restore the paths of righteousness. My office begins with the Black children of the Children of Israel, his chosen people. Here, we have Chosen Children.
Through the Holy Spirit, I’ve written several books in which Black children can see themselves in the lenses of God and godliness.
In learning who they are and whose they are, they will be able to appropriately and effectively fulfill Jesus’ second commandment. Through seeing themselves in the Bible, they will have a true and holy love of themselves with the ability to love others.
And, most importantly, seeing themselves in the Bible, in the lenses of God, now puts them in position to execute and fulfill the greatest and royal commandment of all - To love God with all of your heart, with all your soul, and all your might. Who wouldn’t want to love a God that specifically, hand-picked, and chose them?!
- Jas, I hear you, but I don’t quite agree.
That’s okay. I have comfort for you because, you too, are important for such a time as this.
Isaiah 40:10, With whom took he counsel and who instructed him in the path of judgement, and taught him knowledge, and showed to him the way of understanding?
Additionally, Isaiah 40:5, And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
At the very least, these are books about God with Black images for Black Children to edify them and esteem them in Christ. You can’t beat that! 😊
- You said something about your office. How did you get appointed?
Well, it all started with a dream. A dream from God. That became a dream DEFERRED. I knew God wanted me to write the book, Thank You, God, for. I had already seen it. I wrote it, saved it, and put it away.
That was April 2018. Some of you know that God will deal with you. Well, He was dealing with me on a separate offense that led me into a 40 day fast, in sackcloth and ashes I tell ya! I went into my 40-day fast in mourning, and left out with a purpose, a calling, a mission, and 5+ books. 5 PLUS books. Yes, I have more!
It was Day 3 when God asked me, “Where is the book I told you to write? Your house is built up, while my house lay in waste.” Haggai: 1:4.
I was in trouble y’all. That was all I needed to put some fire up under me.
Here, I am ready, happy, encouraged, and ready to do the will of my Father.
I’m building a house, y’all! Woot, woot!
- God, Who Are You? teaches children who God is through a series of simple questions and imagery.
- Happy Birthday to ME! teaches children to begin walking in the words of Christ. To forsake the spotlight of themselves and give back to the less fortunate and be a blessing to others. **This book is completed but I've sent it back through another illustrator that's adding some finishing touches to make it even better**
- Who Created the Trees? teaches children that they were created by God, created to be different, and have a purpose.
- I Sparkle! teaches children that God’s glory shines through them and to never let the glory of God dim in them.
- Thank You, God, for teaches children how to be grateful and how to pray simply through gratitude by thanking God for daily happy moments
Did you forget, I’m building a house, y’all! Woot, woot!
But, I can’t do it alone.
I have written, illustrated, and self-published these 5 books. I invested my own money, thousands of dollars, in illustrations, ISBNs, Barcodes, and other business necessities, thus far. The books are complete and finished. I need help getting them printed, shipped, and getting them in the hands of children. I need help from every believer, of every shade, and every tongue.
I had one plan. And God had another. I thought I’d just list them online, do POD (print-on-demand), some donations, and that’s it. But God has placed more than that on my heart.
My desire and call is to travel, at least throughout the continental US, spreading the good news through these book. My plan is to showcase them through the House of God Works Chosen Children Story-Time Party Experience. That’s a long enough title, right? Sure is, it’s a party, and it’s a big deal.
The House of God Works Chosen Children Story-Time Party Experience… okay, okay, we can call it Story-Time Party, for short, is a two-hour speaking engagement inclusive on an engaging book reading, signing, Q&A, giveaways, and kiddie edification.
I am extremely passionate about this and will not stop until all children, and maybe even their parents, have heard.
I would like to attend churches, classrooms, conferences, shelters, community centers, you name it.
I’m a perfect candidate for the job. I’m an ESL teacher, former church nursery supervisor, nanny, life-time babysitter, and impromptu story-time reader. Believe it or not, when I would take my daughter to the library and read her books, other children would come, sit, and listen. They even would bring me books to read. One parent came up to me and asked if I worked at the library. Really, here’s a picture.
Kickstarter backers. Like Abraham I am changing your name…You are now called BUILDERS.
Kickstarter BUILDERS, please help me to plant seeds of faith, God, and identity in today’s generation and generations to come.
Please, help me build this house and help me get this house on the road. Or, should I say PARTY on the road. Let’s just call it a HOUSE PARTY!
Put on your construction hats and pledge what you are bringing.
- I’ll bring a box of nails.
- I’ll bring the screws.
- I’ll bring my hammer.
- I’ll bring my power drill.
- I’ll bring my toolbox.
- I'll bring the blueprints.
- I'll bring the bricks.
- I’ll bring some 4x4 wood.
- I’ll bring the excavator!
- I'm the Site Manager!
- If you are bringing the nails, you will be rewarded with a very warm and heart-filled Thank You Card delivered via email. (THAT'S SO NICE!)
- If you are bringing the screws, you will be rewarded a PDF Download of a book of your choice and it's Read-Along Video. (AWESOME!)
- If you are bringing your hammer, you will be rewarded a Paperback Book of your choice, a Hand-written Thank You Note, PDF Book, Read-Aloud Video, and a Bookmark. EARLY BIRD EDITION save $10 PLUS your copy will be SIGNED! (COOL!)
- If you are bringing your power drill, you will be rewarded a Hardcover Book of your choice, a Hand-written Thank You Note, PDF Book, Read-Aloud Video, and a Bookmark. EARLY BIRD EDITION save $10 PLUS your copy will be SIGNED! (VERY COOL!)
- If you are bringing your toolbox, you will be rewarded a Hardcover Book of EACH, a Hand-written Thank You Note, PDF Book, Read-Aloud Video, and 5x Bookmarks. (WOWZERS!!)
- If you are bringing the blueprints, you will be rewarded 5x Signed Hardcover Books of your choice, 2x Coffee Mugs, a T-Shirt (Women, Men, or Child), Signed and Framed Wall Art, 10x Bookmarks, and a Hand-written Thank You Note from Yours Truly. (SCORE!!)
- If you are bringing the bricks, you will be rewarded the Backpack Edition, 5x Signed Hardcover Books of your choice, a T-Shirt (Women, Men, or Child), a Notebook, a Signed 2021 Calendar, and a Backpack filled with school supplies to be sown to a child in need. (PRAISE GOD!)
- If you are bringing some 4x4 wood, you will be rewarded the 50 Hardcover books or 75 Paperback books to donate at Homeless Shelters, Schools, Libraries, or other entity serving impoverished communities of your choice. Only in the United States. (For international requests, we can brainstorm the possibilities.) (COUNT ME IN!)
- If you are bringing the excavator, you will be rewarded The House of God Works Chosen Children Story-Time Party Experience. Yep, it's a House Party. I'll be reading ONE book, Q&A, giveaways, and signing books. 25 Signed Hardcover Books included. Only in the United States. (MEET YOU THERE!)
- If you are the Site Manager, your reward is waiting for you at the pearly gates. Additionally, you get to negotiate (customize) what you would like. See Rewards section>>>>
*About the rewards, a survey will go out after the campaign. It will have the final designs of all the items, and that’s where you can choose which books you want, and which book print for t-shirts, mugs, calendars, wall art, etc. For example, you may want an I AM THAT I AM T-Shirt with an I Sparkle Mug.
**But remember, KickStarter does not fund partial amounts. This campaign will only be funded if the $30,000 goal is reached - which means if the goal is not met, you do NOT receive these SUPER COOL rewards ☹.
*** So, please pledge, pledge, pledge, and bring some BUILDERS back with you to pledge, pledge, pledge. Share with your communities, Church, Friends, Facebook, Twitter, etc. so that you can get your rewards – and they can get rewarded, too!
****INTERNATIONAL BUILDERS - If you are pledging 'bringing your hammer' or above, please message me before you pledge so that I can calculate the shipping cost first. Thank you :-)
*These are the most up-to-date designs of Rewards and all rewards are not yet listed, but I will communicate all, if any, changes occur.
- Getting files over to printer, ready to print, and proofed – 4 – 6 weeks.
- Printing, Emailing Digital Rewards, and Ordering Rewards 8 – 12 weeks.
- Shipping from printer – 6 – 8 weeks to be safe.
- Customs – No information as of yet
- Organizing, Packaging, and Shipping Builder’s Rewards– 6 – 8 weeks
- *Once all Builder Rewards have been sent, the House Party hits the road.
As soon as the funds are released, the clock begins. I estimate between release of funds to the full completion of all orders is a 6-8 month time frame. I will update with a tentative schedule once funded.
Where will the $30,000 go?
- $2,400 – 3,000 – KickStarter Fees – KickStarter and their payment processor receive 5% and 3-5%, respectively.
- $15,000 - Printing – (Depending on the amount of BUILDERS, I aim to order 500 of each book, which is 2500 books total. Some statistics show that most authors sell about 250 copies of one book title per year. If that’s true for me, it’s perfect because I’ll still have a surplus of 250 books which can go toward donations and to continue selling for the following year. None of these books will be wasted aka just lying around)
- $5,000 – Shipping - estimate of shipping for all books by sea.
- $2,500 – Rewards, Shipping of Rewards to me, Uncovered Postage, and Shipping Materials
- $2,500 – House of Party – Includes domestic travel, party supplies, and free give-aways and/or marketing materials.
- $2000 – Risk Mitigation – If all goes well, and I do not have to solve any unforeseen circumstances financially, this margin can be used for U.S. Customs, to hire help, add stops for the House Party, illustrate the other books I’ve written, or adding more rewards, or even recuperate the financials I’ve already covered.
Let's Work, together! Let's Build, together!
Haggai 2:9 - The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former, saith the Lord of hosts: and in this place will I give peace, saith the Lord of hosts.
Also, my daughter's excited - her and her crew have already contributed to the building of the house. :-)
Risks and challenges
I’ve already finished the labor-intensive part of working with illustrators to get the very best illustrations. I have already chosen a print company and reviewed their print quality. I also have a back-up company just in case.
Before going live on KickStarter, I researched companies that can create and print the rewards. I also have back-up company options. Next, I will start checking for quality. Additionally, I’ve already started planning the Story-Time Party Experiences.
At this point, I propose the risks are quite minimal. Yet, to be realistic, the risks are a matter of being at the mercy of the contracted companies, shipping, customs, and based upon the amount of backers we have - more backers mean it will take more time to fulfill reward orders and could potentially cause a delay. Since I am printing 5 books at once, another risk could be delays in the finished work and ship time. However, I have left a financial cushion to be able to diligently mitigate any potential risks that may arise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter