About this project
Expedition is a lightweight RPG that combines the best of tabletop and video gaming, using cards & an app to create an experience that's fun for all ages and skill levels.
Pre-order your adventure today and save $10 per copy! (Expedition's price will increase to $30 after the Kickstarter)
P.S. We've upgraded our art since the original video:
Everyone from game reviewers and experienced Dungeon Masters to 10-year-olds and first-time roleplayers have tried Expedition, and here's what they've had to say:
- “I've played several games of Expedition now and have found it most entertaining, as have all the people I've played it with. This includes my 10-year-old, who has been pestering me for more, so something is definitely right!” - Robin Brooks of Geek Dad
- "By 1:30 am when we stopped, everyone wanted more.” - Mike Koot, Dungeon Master
- “I ran my first RPG. It was great! I’ve never done that before.” - Meg Cassidy
- "If you play Expedition as a traditional role playing game you're going to have a light and easy to play system." - Polyhedron Collider
- "It was an incredible experience to play Expedition! It is well-designed, perfectly balanced and really innovative." - Board Game King
- "Expedition is, in a word…impressive." - Boccob's Blessed Blog
- "It's the feel of a campaign RPG in a deck of cards. Fast and fun!" - The Bearded Meeple
- "Played it with my family and watched them use their imagination and explore new worlds." - Lee Ngo
- "Expedition may be the best thing to happen to roleplaying since the polyhedron" - Jeff Beck of Your Table's on Fire
- "If you were afraid to be a quest guide/dungeon master before, the app might help you finally try being a guide." - Geeky Hobbies
- "We're excited to play a D&D-esque game without the epic amount of setup." - Tom Wells, author of The Realm Apparent
- "This could be the game that bridges board games and roleplaying games." - Brawlin' Brothers
"This is one of, if not THE best use of technology I've seen in tabletop gaming." - Flaming Dice Reviews
- "Expedition is an excellent way to play RPG's with my family" - Undead Viking
The Expedition Adventurer's Kit includes:
- 166 cards, enough for up to 6 adventurers and one (optional) Guide, including 10 adventurers, 80 abilities, 40 encounters, 30 loot and 6 helpers
- 1x d20 die
- 12x plastic health tracker clips
- Box and quick start rules sheet (not pictured)
- The Expedition app, available on Android and iOS, and as a web-based app that works on all smartphones and tablets.
- Potentially even more (at no extra cost to you) if we work together and reach our stretch goals
Note that you can include additional copies of Expedition in your pledge by adding $20 per copy. No extra shipping charges apply, so it's a great way to get a copy for a friend, especially for international backers!
After the Kickstarter, Expedition's price will increase to $30, so now's a perfect time to pick up extra copies at a discount!
We have a lot of ideas on how to make Expedition even better - and with your support, they might just be possible!
$12,000: UNLOCKED! - Dungeon Crawl game mode: for those times you just want to fight baddies and ask questions later.
$15,000: UNLOCKED! - Quest creator: create your own in-app quests!
$18,000: UNLOCKED! - Card creator: print your own personalized, quest-specific cards!
$25,000: +5 to d20 dice: so that each player can have their own die
$30,000: Custom health tracking clips: paper clips work, but they aren't exciting. If we achieve this volume, we'll swap out everyone's paperclips with special Expedition clips (prototype pictured below) free of charge!
$35,000: +100 to box size: a larger box that fits 100 extra cards. Room for your custom cards and future expansions!
Expedition was born just over a year ago. We wanted to play a game of Dungeons and Dragons, but kept running into problems: nobody had hours every week to prepare a campaign. Many of our friends weren't interested in a game that complex - or simply weren't able to commit to playing every single week. As we asked around, we found that this was a surprisingly common problem: we're also so busy these days that almost no-one has time for the roleplaying games of yore.
After months of brainstorming and experimentation, we came up with two solutions:
- By putting all of the rules on the cards, we're able to speed up setup by a factor of ten. instead of taking an hour to create characters, look up rules and crunch numbers, Expedition takes less than five minutes from opening the box to fighting monsters.
- By utilizing an app, we're also able to speed up game play by a factor of ten. The app handles most of the math and adds a unique real-time aspect to combat, forcing adventurers to make combat decisions quickly rather than taking several minutes to decide whether to dodge the dragon's attack or cast a spell. Not only is this more realistic, but we've found it actually keeps players much more engaged than traditional combat.
Now, with Expedition, you can go on entire adventures in hours instead of months!
We've gone through a lot of prototyping and playtesting to get the formula just right, iterating through dozens of potential mechanics, card types, art styles and layouts to get them just right:
After several months of internal testing, we released Expedition for free to the world. In just a few months, Expedition has been downloaded over 1,400 times:
The Expedition app and Cards are freely available under Creative Commons licenses at ExpeditionGame.com. If you're on the fence about buying a $20 adventurer's kit, we encourage you to download a copy and try it before you buy it! (just keep in mind that the campaign ends on May 3rd) If you play a game and can't put it down, consider coming back and ordering a deck or two. Besides being nicer to play with than home-printed cards, your support will help us continue to add new and exciting things to Expedition for years to come. Speaking of which...
The Expedition system, like the game itself, has endless possibilities. Here are some things that we're really excited to add in the future, once we've delivered on our first promise and everyone has their copies of the core Expedition game:
- A community around custom quests - a website to share and discover Expedition quests
- New game modes like dungeon crawls and Player vs Player combat.
- Tools for Guides to make it even easier to tell rich, engaging stories.
- In-app quest sound cues. Imagine a quest themed around music scenes - sneaking around a jazz bar, fighting on a military parade ground, etc.
- Expansions that add new environments and mechanics to the games - puzzle cards, feudal japan, armor and weapons, and more!
The great thing about Expedition is that many of these upgrades take place within the app - so you'll automatically get them for free, just by being a backer!
Expedition shipping is UK-, CA-, NZ-, AU- and EU-friendly. For those regions, Expedition won't incur VAT/import duties and customs are included. We originally planned to offer shipping for as low as $5, but 2016 saw significant, unexpected hikes in shipping costs across the board, so we've had to increase the base shipping cost to $6 to compensate. Outside of the US, most shipping is $12, with a few outliers (Brazil, Russia and Mexico) that cost extra.
Help us build this game
We're putting Expedition on Kickstarter because it's the best way for us to deliver a high-quality game at an affordable price. If you've already backed and want to help further, help spread the word by sharing Expedition with your friends.
Risks and challenges
We've had the tremendous opportunity to work with a number of industry experts while developing Expedition, but, like any project, there's the potential for challenges.
With Expedition, our primary two challenges are technical risks with the app and manufacturing risks with the cards.
On the technical risk side, both of us are professional web software engineers, which puts us in a good place for any potential technical hurdles. Not only do we have significant on-the-job experience, we also have a large network of fellow programmers to help us. The app is also built on popular, well-supported tools: Cordova, Polymer, and AWS.
On the manufacturing side, our biggest concern is slowdowns that might delay you getting your copy of Expedition. As such, we've worked with our manufacturer (AdMagic) and fulfilment company (ShipNaked) to walk through several scenarios. The timeline we've presented you includes a one month buffer on top of their longest predictions.
We are committed to transparency (after all, we're here to build a community). If any of these factors change, we'll let you, our backers, know immediately.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (25 days)