MISSED THE KICKSTARTER? You can still get a copy (and the free print & play) at ExpeditionGame.com
The Horror is the first expansion to Expedition: The Roleplaying Card Game. It requires a copy of Expedition to play, which is included in the $30 bundle. You can also buy a copy of the base game on the Expedition Store here. Or, pre-order the bundle on Kickstarter, and get the expansion free!
Expedition is a lightweight roleplaying game that combines the best of tabletop and video gaming. It uses cards and a free companion app so that you can go on epic adventures with friends and family - even if you've never played an RPG before. For veteran gamers, Expedition contains endless depth: it's fully open source and allows you to create your own quests and cards, as well as DM entire quests in the Expedition system.
Thanks to the support of our amazing fans, Expedition was funded on Kickstarter last year. Expedition includes a free companion app (available for iOS, Android, and web) that is open source and constantly getting better.
Update: Remote Play stretch goal unlocked! Soon, you'll be able to play Expedition with your friends, no matter where they live!
Here's how to play Expedition (3 minutes):
The Horror adds a new "Persona" mechanic and new horrifying monsters inspired by the Cthulhu mythos. Personas add new roleplaying and storytelling possibilities, as well as combat mechanics and strategies.
Playing with The Horror, all adventurers draw one extra ability at the start - an influence ability. These abilities boost, use and manipulate Persona in various ways. For example, Inspiring Line boosts everyone's Personas - whereas Dire Prediction uses your anger and fear to deal additional damage - at a cost:
Each adventurer also draws a Persona card. Each unique Persona has a max and a min effect. If you're at your max or min at the start of a round, you resolve its effects and return to base Persona.
You don't have to be a fan of Cthulhu - or even the horror genre - to enjoy The Horror! Expedition is a game of imagination, and the Persona mechanic will be featured in all kinds of quests, from family-friendly adventures to terrifying stories for horror enthusiasts.
Update: All bonus card stretch goals unlocked!
The expansion includes:
- 20 Influence abilities
- 12 Personas
- 10 Horror encounters
- 5 adventurers
- 4 loot
- and 10 more tracking clips
It will be packaged in a clear plastic wrap, and there's plenty of space for the cards in the base game's box.
The Horror features beautiful artwork by Chris Gebhart:
- "This card game packs all the story, combat and fun of a D&D session into the time it takes to watch an episode of something far less interactive." - Geek & Sundry
- "Playing Expedition is a huge amount of fun... Expedition is a great way to bring new players into roleplaying." ... "Backing Expedition: The Horror is an excellent way to support a great product. You can contribute to the ongoing evolution of one of the world’s easiest to pick up RPG systems." - GeekDad
- "This is one of, if not THE best use of technology I've seen in tabletop gaming." - Flaming Dice Reviews
- "This game is great! I just love how simple it is!" - Shari Spiro, Producer of Rise of Tribes
- "Expedition made my old RPG group reunite and play!" - Allan Bandeira, Dungeon Master
- "By 1:30 am when we stopped, everyone wanted more.” - Mike Koot, Dungeon Master
- “I ran my first RPG. It was great! I’ve never done that before.” - Meg Cassidy
- 7.1 / 10 on BoardGameGeek (50 ratings)
- UNLOCKED! $7k: Campaign funded!
- UNLOCKED! $10k: New quest by Louise and Earl
- UNLOCKED! $12k: New quest by Greg Miller
- UNLOCKED! $14k: Two new quests! by Cory Smith and JanoNath
- UNLOCKED! $16k: All stretch goal quests will include hand-crafted artwork by Chris Gebhart
- UNLOCKED! $18k: 4 new loot cards
- UNLOCKED! $20k: 5 new ability cards
- UNLOCKED! $22k: 5 new ability cards
- UNLOCKED! $24k: ALL CARDS UNLOCKED! 4 new adventurer + 2 new persona cards
- UNLOCKED! $30k: App feature: Remote Play! Play Expedition with friends anywhere in the world - and allow quest writers to create stories that show different information to each player (think hidden information and murder mysteries)
- UNLOCKED! $34k: "Quest Crafter" YouTube series: Learn how to write your own interactive stories and adventures, taught by an award-winning Expedition quest crafter.
- UNLOCKED! $36k: New horror theme for quests. Enables quest authors to change the visual theme of their quest to a new "horror" style, and lays the groundwork for more quest themes in the future!
- UNLOCKED! $45k: Research & Development. Give us the resources to explore VR and Voice Assistant versions of Expedition!
- UNLOCKED! $48k: Combat sound effects! Spice up your fights and get more immersed in your adventures with combat sound effects.
- UNLOCKED! $55k: Original combat music! We'll hire a composer to write original, epic scores for Expedition combat.
- UNLOCKED! $62k: Featured solo play quest.
Social media goals (help unlock these goals by sharing the Kickstarter on Facebook or Twitter and tagging your post with @expeditionrpg #GetYourRoleplayOn):
- UNLOCKED! 30 shares: New quest! A challenging trap and puzzle crawl
- UNLOCKED! 60 shares: New Quest by Bryan Dryer
- UNLOCKED! 100 shares: 1 new adventurer card, first print only!
Shipping is $5 US / $10 international. Upgrade to the base + expansion bundle for only $3 more in shipping. Plus, it's flat rate: if you order multiple copies, you only pay shipping once!
To order additional copies: add $10 or $30 to your pledge for each additional expansion or bundle you'd like. Make sure to select the highest tier for the items you're ordering. If you have any questions or special requests, just message us!
Timeline: Orders for the expansion will ship before Christmas. The base game takes longer to manufacture, so the base game + expansion bundle may ship as late as April to save you shipping costs. It's possible that base games will also ship in time for Christmas, but we don't want to make any promises because logistics are more chaotic near the holidays.
Buying the base game: You can also order the base game from the Expedition store which includes free US shipping and customs-friendly international shipping. You won't get the bundle shipping discount from the Kickstarter, but you'll get up and adventuring faster!
For our international backers: Expedition is AU-, Canada-, UK- and EU-friendly. In the unlikely event you are charged for customs, we will reimburse you immediately. International shipping is unpredictable, but we'll do our best to get you your copies as quickly as possible.
Expedition: The Horror is designed & manufactured in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. By working with a local company, we're able to move faster and deliver your copies in time for Christmas! (Note that the base game is still manufactured in China due to its higher complexity and small order size, but we're rapidly approaching the scale that we can manufacture it in the US as well)
Expedition is powered by BackerKit, so you'll be able to adjust your information and add on additional items after the Kickstarter is over.
We're putting Expedition: The Horror on Kickstarter because it's the best way for us to deliver a high-quality game to you at an affordable price. If you've already backed and want to help further, help spread the word by sharing Expedition with your friends.
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk with delivering a board game is always manufacturing. For this expansion, we've decided to work with a Pittsburgh-based printer which saves us months of time compared to shipping from China. If all goes according to plan, we'll start manufacturing on September 15th and have the expansions in hand by October 15th, which gives us two months to get the expansion to you in time for Christmas.
The biggest challenge is any potential delay in the manufacturing process, which is why we've already started working with the manufacturer to review and proof files.
For backers also picking up a copy of the base game, we're manufacturing it with one of the best manufacturers in the industry, AdMagic. They've been our partner for the first two prints of Expedition, and we look forward to working with them again.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)