Featured as a Kickstarter Staff Pick
"Utter Nonsense is Cards Against Humanity with offensive accents." - Jamin Warren, Kill Screen
"I'm sweating from laughing so hard." - Real Teen Mom Talk Radio
Laughter. That’s all there is to it. We’ve had so many good times playing this game with family and friends over the years, now we're excited to share it with you.
The game consists of Accent Cards and Phrase Cards that players combine and act out. Think of a grandma bragging about sexting or a redneck talking about the finer points of an isosceles triangle. Sometimes phrases pair well with the accent, but for the most part they don’t — and that’s Utter Nonsense.
- Each game set has 40 Accent Cards and 460 Phrase Cards
- All players have 7 Phrase Cards
- One player serves as the Nonsense Judge and selects the Accent Card for the round
- Once the Accent Card is revealed, players select one Phrase Card from their hand, and say it in the accent indicated
- It’s up to the Nonsense Judge to decide which player’s phrase and accent combination is the funniest, and that player wins the round
- After a player wins 5 rounds, that player wins the game
You don’t have to be good at accents and the combinations don’t need to make sense; in fact, we encourage players to make the Phrase Cards their own. With each successive round, competition sets in and the most composed, mild mannered players become improv masters.
SHIRTCOCKER (sh-urt-kok-er) - noun - One who wears no pants.
There are five pledge levels all featuring the Utter Nonsense Shirtcocker, four of which include an exclusive custom version of the game, made in the USA and only available to Kickstarter Backers.
- Pledge $2 – We’ll mail you your very own Shirtcocker sticker. Some assembly required.
- Pledge $25 – Backers will receive the custom Kickstarter game set with 500 Phrase and Accent Cards.
- Pledge $50 - Backers will receive the custom Kickstarter game set and an official Utter Nonsense t-shirt featuring the Shirtcocker logo.
- Pledge $250 – Backers will receive the custom Kickstarter game set, including a life-size Shirtcocker wall decal personalized with your face. - 20 available
- Pledge $312 - Backers can create 5 of your own Phrase Cards to be included in your game set. - 10 available
- Pledge $2,500 – The custom Kickstarter game set will be hand delivered to your door by Dave and Tim, anywhere in the continental USA on a weekend date of your choice. We will also cook dinner for up to 10 people and play Utter Nonsense with you and your crew. - 4 available
Printing cards and game boxes is all about economies of scale, which is why your support is so critical. The more Utter Nonsense Backers there are, the more elements can be added to the game.
$15,000 – We’re really doing it!
- With $15,000, backers who pledge $25 or more will receive the 500-card exclusive game set scheduled to ship in October, and made right in the Midwest. We hope you despise communism and like supporting local businesses as much as we do.
$25,000 – Higher Quality Cards
- All cards will be made extra durable. So durable that you could play this game underwater at your next (pants off) pool party.
$37,500 – 50 More Phrase Cards, Exclusive for Kickstarter Backers
- An additional 50 exclusive cards, never to be printed again after the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign, will come with your game set in separate packaging.
$50,000 – Custom Box, Exclusive for Kickstarter Backers
- Backers who pledge $25 or more will receive their game set in a single customized box large enough to fit all 550 cards, inclusive of the Kickstarter logo and never to be printed again.
$100,000 – Tim and Dave Breakdance on Michigan Avenue
- In exchange for your pledge and our dignity, we will wear the Shirtcocker outfits and perform a breakdance routine on Chicago's iconic Michigan Avenue.
We believe life’s experiences are only as good as the people you share them with, which is the impetus to launch Utter Nonsense with the support of the Kickstarter community. We surround ourselves with people who have a collaborative spirit, believe in what we are doing, and are not easily deterred by our politically incorrect sense of humor.
The people who’ve helped us out along the way deserve a ton of credit, especially our writers Ben Brandstrader, Clay Neigher, Michael O’Brien, Grant Lakin, Marlena Ryan and Andrew Sitter; the design duo Jen Mayer and Chris Jennings at Kitemath; our videographer Tim Musho; our printing partner DeLano Service; and our social media maven Ashley Devick. Special thanks to Stacey and Matt for inspiring us to create Utter Nonsense. Not to mention all our friends who dressed up as the Accent Cards for the Kickstarter video.
As for us, we’re long-time friends, going back to our college days at University of Illinois. We both currently work and live in Chicago, in fields totally unrelated to gaming and nonsense. Tim leads business development for a software start-up and Dave is a commercial real estate developer. We’re also terrible break-dancers.
Risks and challenges
So far, we’ve funded everything out of pocket to support Utter Nonsense. We have our printing and fulfillment partner selected and the contract is ready to sign, we just need your backing for the first order, so this game can finally become a reality.
Regarding the Shirtcocker stickers, t-shirts and wall decals, we have partners for those teed up as well. So, if you help us hit our Big, Hairy, Audacious Pledge Goals, consider those ready to ship.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)