Now less than 24 hours to go!
As you may already know Sinatra is a fantastic framework built on Ruby. Ruby is a developer friendly language and at under 2,000 lines of code Sinatra is much the same, small, light, fast and easy to work with.
There is some great documentation and online tutorials for Sinatra and even some top tutorials. What's really lacking is a guide on how Sinatra can relate to real world scenarios. There are thousands of Ruby gems available online, but how can these best be used together with Sinatra to build a great application?
Sinatra Cookbook will feature 12 in-depth example applications and how they can relate to "real life" uses. Each tutorial will feature more than just Sinatra, making use of third party gems and techniques for authentication, databases, caching, email, file storage and more.
The aim is to complete the book in July 2014 and publish it in EPUB, MOBI and PDF formats along with all the code examples as fully working applications.
The book will be written by Tim Millwood, a web developer who has been working with and writing about Sinatra extensively over the last year. He has written many blog posts about Sinatra, written for publications such as net magazine and was a Technical Reviewer for Packt Publishing's latest Sinatra book. All this gives him the experience to write a great cookbook of Sinatra applications.
The great thing with crowd funding the book is that you can have input right from the start. If there are any application types you'd like to know how to build in Sinatra, or any gems you've wondered how to integrate into a Sinatra application, then get in touch All suggestions will be given serious consideration for the book.
You can back this project in many ways and will be rewarded kindly for your help.
- Pledge £1 ($1.65) or more and your name will be added to the "Thank You!" page in the book and listed on the soon to launch website.
- The first 10 backers to pledge £5 ($8.20) (half the standard price) will get the ebook once complete.
- Once these first 10 have been sold you can get the ebook by pledging just £10 ($16).
- For a pledge of just £15 ($24) you can receive each chapter in PDF format ASAP. Then the final book in all formats once complete.
- If you really want to be part of the project pledging £50 ($82) will get your name featured in one of the example applications. Depending on the chapter's application this may be in the code, in screenshots or both. The most exposure will be given to the first backers and as there are 12 chapters this is only available to 12 people.
- Pledging £50 ($82) could also get you an exclusive "Sinatra Cookbook" T-shirt along with your copy of the ebook.
- A £60 ($98) pledge will get you a "Sinatra Cookbook" T-shirt, mug and pen to accompany your copy of the ebook.
- Pledging £100 ($164) - £150 ($245) will get you 2 hours of tuition to go through the code and tutorial for your suggested chapter. Plus a copy of the completed ebook.
- ULTIMATE PACKAGE: ($303) Get a PDF as each chapter is written, all formats of the ebook once complete, exclusive Sinatra Cookbook t-shirt, mug and pen, 3 hours of personal tuition via phone, skype etc on all aspects the book covers.
Although the book will go on general sale once completed, it will not happen without your backing. So please get in early and back the project. You have a chance to be part of a great book, and make a potential author's dreams come true.
* Dollar values are just approximate guides, please check the exchange rate with your card provider.
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge will be time. The aim will be to complete one chapter every two weeks. Time has also been allocated for editing and a break over Christmas / New Year.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)