Burn through the skies to deliver divine justice in Fuel Priest! Play this tabletop roleplaying game for narrative-heavy mechanics that bring a story-focused power fantasy to your table. Our pick-up-and-play streamlined rules allow for a high-flying spectacle that gives players substantial control over their narrative. Join the starry-eyed dev team in getting Fuel Priest off the ground!
Play as Fuel Priests, exceptionally skilled airplane pilots blessed by this world’s new Goddess. Holy fuel runs through their veins and powers their divine aircraft. The world is ready for revolution and they’re here to bring it!
Fuel Priest can be played with a handful of 6 sided dice, a drawing surface, and the handbook.
- Soar through your story and don’t let mechanics stop you! Players choose how and when their Priest will succeed and fail. But don’t think they’re unstoppable, things have a way of getting complicated.
- Build your own airplane! Players customize their Priests' aircraft for the journey ahead. The machine is your Priest and your Priest is the machine. Every part you choose culminates in a unique character with a unique personality. Enjoy simple special abilities without number heavy mechanics and rules bloat.
- Serve the Goddess! Priests shape the world by performing story-changing miracles. Watch as they ascend to her side or fall from her grace entirely.
- Explore the world you build! Everyone is a world builder. Players and Game Masters alike create the world as they play. The map is a key feature of the game. Watch as it grows and trace the flight path your story takes.
Oil, Grit, And Revolution
Fly through a game inspired by WWII weird science, dieselpunk aesthetics, and the Industrial Revolution. Don’t forget a bit of apocalypse thrown in for good measure! Fuel Priest is about the struggle between the working class and the wealthy elite. The old aristocracy and robber-baron tycoons are the chief enemies of the Fuel Priests. Because of this world’s new Goddess, the Maiden, times are changing fast. She teaches revolution and her Fuel Priests are determined to bring it. Pick up Fuel Priest to tell stories about faith and class struggle!
Our Design Philosophy
Fuel Priest is designed for storytelling.
You, as the player, have the tools to steer your narrative. Change the world and your place in the eyes of the Maiden. Will she love or reject you? The power is in your hands! Combat is a narrative conversation at your table, not a strategy game. Every time you explore this brave new world is another chance for worldbuilding. Play Fuel Priest to tell a story that keeps the narrative flowing!
Fuel Priest is designed to give you a power trip.
Fuel Priests are overpowered in the air and we like it that way. The system allows players to feel that power and revel in theater-of-the-mind dogfights. Facing down an armada of air pirates single-handedly is the fantasy we deliver. Pick up Fuel Priest to play a high octane power fantasy fueled by grit, faith, and oil.
Where the Money Goes
The game is ready and so is the handbook. Here is a breakdown of where your money goes when you purchase one of our softcover handbooks for $25.00.
$1.81 goes to promotion
$4.28 goes to the printer
$4.39 goes to our promotional artists
$2.49 goes to making Timeless Caverns an LLC
$5.00 goes to Kickstarter. They receive 20% of our funding
Total Production Cost $17.97
Selling softcover handbooks for $25.00 each leaves $7.03 profit to be split among our 5 person team. Each of us will earn $1.41 per book.
This calculation assumes we sell a minimum of 205 books. We cannot go forward with the project if we don't meet this number. Our 50 Early Bird books are sold for $20 so that impacts the price as well.
(50 x $20) + (115 x $25) = $5,000
This determined our $5,000.00 kickstarter goal.
Smuggler, and The Maiden’s Faithful Early Bird Specials
- Backers at these levels will receive the handbook at a lower price. Each level is limited to its first 50 backers.
Starting at $5 - Smuggler
- The Fuel Priest Handbook PDF - This PDF features full color images and a short story in every chapter. It contains all you need to play and more, including Game Master tips, character sheets, setting information, and premade adventures. (Ask about our screen reader compatible option with riveting written descriptions for every picture.)
- Be Personally Thanked - Your name will be added to our thank you and acknowledgments section of the handbook.
- Action Packed Desktop Wallpaper - Backers receive an exclusive wallpaper depicting an exciting battle between the Fuel Priests and their foes.
Starting at $25 - Oil Born
- Fuel Priest Handbook Softcover and Hardcover - The 5.5 x 8.5 Handbook comes in soft- and hardcover. It sports a full color cover, black and white pictures within, and a short story in every chapter. All you need to play is here, including Game Master tips, character sheets, setting information, and premade adventures.
Starting at $150 - Saint of Progress
- Have the Devs Run a Session for You - The development team will run a game for you and 3 of your friends.
Starting at $300 - A Miracle
- Create an Adventure - Work with the development team to create an adventure inspired by your ideas. The adventure will be published in the handbook. This reward is limited to 3 backers.
More Art! - Discovered at $6,500.00
- We’d love to fill our handbook with even more awesome pictures of sky beasts, planes, Old Money, and Fuel Priests!
As we fly higher more stretch goals will be added. We hope you will be along for the ride!
How the Game Was Made
For the past six amazing months the team has been writing and rewriting Fuel Priest. Our wonderful artists have been hard at work and so have our brillant playtesters. Because the team is spread across the country, the game was made over Skype. This allowed us to playtest nationwide in local game stores. It was a second job for all of us, even a third job for some. Most of us are full time college students or workers. We are all extremely proud of our final product.
Who We Are
Old high school friends who swore they’d make a game someday. Wouldn’t you know, we just might. We’re game designers, artists, and writers from New Mexico who bonded over tabletop games years ago. Fuel Priest started as a homebrew D&D game. It had its flaws, (a lot of flaws) but the idea stuck. After bringing this game back for their senior project, Sean Billson got the team back together. We may have torn out some of Sean’s favorite mechanics along the way (sorry Sean!), but after breaking it down, together we built it back up into a polished product we can be proud of.
- Sean Billson has been working on Fuel Priest for about two years. They are the lead designer and local whiskey enthusiast. They are a genderqueer game designer, and look to make games that do more than tell a good story!
- Tanner Wilson is the team’s writer and resident moon princess. Stories are her life and games are the most interactive stories out there. She knows Fuel Priest is going to help you tell some great ones.
- The single greatest and most critically acclaimed artist of our generation, who has won numerous awards for their coloring, their ability to convey humor with a simple brushstroke, and general lack of flaws, was unavailable for this project, so Drew Wills was hired instead. Drew is the team’s art director and graphic designer. If it looks good, he was probably involved. If it looks bad, that was someone else.
- Gen Ainslow is the chief editor for Timeless Caverns and Fuel Priest. Gen is also an ancient and unknowable mass of eyes and tentacles stretching into five dimensions, and probably a Time Lord. A writer, editor and amateur fan scholar; they hope to do more work in the future with their friends of over ten years(!!!) at Timeless Caverns, and they’re confident that you’ll love Fuel Priest.
- Daniel Nimitz is our resident heir to a robber-baron fortune. His rebellion against the aristocracy is based around lifting up the disenfranchised. He believes that empowering workers, taking responsibility for the environment, and increasing diversity in the workforce are necessary for the companies of the future! He helped build this into the structure of Timeless Caverns and hopes to see it spread to other companies!
Risks and challenges
We are proactively preparing ourselves to deal with these two possible risks:
Our printer says the price of the books is fairly stable. If something were to happen to cause their production cost to go up drastically we would struggle to meet that cost. In this extreme case we would have to refund all backers. In this event, we would attempt another kickstarter only selling digital copies of the game.
Our manufacturer can only print 1,000 books per month. Because of this, if we sell 1,000 books, it would take more time than previously expected to deliver the handbooks to our backers. During this time, books would be mailed out as they are produced. This ensures the least wait for the most people possible.
These scenarios are unlikely, but it never hurts to have a plan.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)