9/26/14 - As promised, here is a gameplay trailer! A big thank you to all of our super pretentious backers! The original satirical trailer can be viewed below.
9/15/14 - Gameplay footage will posted in the next couple days! Stay tuned for more super pretentious action!
Hi, I'm Steve, the creator of the game "Super Pretentious Underground Dungeon". It's been my dream my whole life to make games, and using Kickstarter I will finally be able to make that dream a reality. This game will be availible for free on PC only.
This is the indie game, sorry, indie experience that I've wanted to others to play since I originally envisioned it way back in August. I am an experienced game designer, I come up with ideas for games all the time and I'm sure this one is going to be the first to succeed. I decided to break away from the typically indie games you usually see, and create something truly unique and refreshing.
The gameplay is as original as it is bold: a platforming game with roguelike RPG elements. Groundbreaking features such as permadeath, multiple classes, and random loot add endless replay value to this experience. The game will also feature a soundtrack with 8-bit elements, creating a nostalgic yet nail-biting atmosphere unmatched by any other game.
An ancient evil awakens. Deep inside his lair, the Underground Dungeon, the Necrolich plans to summon a demon to put all that is to sleep.
Four brave champions have decided to enter the Necrolich's Underground Dungeon to stop him once and for all.
- The Warrior, Kaahn fights for what it thinks is right, regardless of the methods! As such, the warrior is a close-ranged fighter with poor magical skills.
- The Archer, Nathan snipes enemies from a distance and has special skills to help him backpedal from danger.
- The Wizard, this unknown master of magic is not physically powerful but sports amazing arcane abilities and skills.
- The Rogue, Steve is a lethal assassin and thief. He was born with a special power and was trained at an elite fighting academy. He has the ability to use poisoned throwing knives, concealed daggers, has the fastest movement speed in the game, and can teleport behind foes. He has a wisecracking personality and is respected by all, but nobody understands how he feels on the inside. He was the one who gathered all of the other heroes to the underground dungeon.
The basic gameplay is as follows:
- There are many floors, each more deadly than the last. You must make your way deeper into the Underground Dungeon, eventually fighting the Necrolich on the final(?) floor.
- There is no level-up system. All advancements will be made collectibles found in chests, or from enemy drops.
- On that note, currently the number of planned powerups in the game are 15. They will all radically change your style of play. Collect as many as you can to destroy your foes!
- The environments are not randomly generated, but the the floors will be chosen from a random pool.
- However, the different classes will be able to take different paths through the floors to reach the Necrolich. Different classes have different navigational abilities, and you may find a certain path to the Necrolich is only possible with certain characters...
- The combat itself is projectile/collision based. Your hero attacks via a projectile, however the distance, damage, and movement style varies immensely between classes.
- There are many, many secrets in this game. So many secrets that we can't keep track of them. We'll probably have to buy a notepad to write all of these secrets down.
The $100 will be used to help offset costs to make this game free for anyone to play. It's going to offset production costs that would otherwise be made up by profit such as art fees, as well as for publishing costs and possible hosting for a website.
I also need to learn how to program.
Also, Game of the Year.
$100 - The game will be released, free for everybody to enjoy!
$200 - Five more powerups will be added to the final game. This means more combinations of abilities, and more mayhem!
$300 - Secret floors will be added, with the entry method concealed by cryptic hints and deadly clues. Just like your dad's old games!
$400 - Two more environments will be created in addition to the two in the base game. Get ready to explore new dangers!
$500 - I will print out a copy of the entire game's source code, and eat it on a live stream.
$750 - A documentary that nobody asked for will be created to talk about the creation and inception of this game! This is expected to be completed around March.
$1000 - I will eat silkworm pupas and the source code at the same time
$1500 - Another extra class will be added to the game! Who or what will it be???
$2000 - ???
More goals will be added as funding goes up!
A group of highly regarded scientists* have called this game "possibly the most indie game ever made". And I agree. Except for the part where they said "game", it's more of an experience.
Risks and challenges
I plan for this game to be finished in January. However, some setbacks may occur. It is possible that the game will be too difficult for a first time programming project. My solution to that is to find a programmer who will work for free, that way the work can get done for me.
Rewards will easily be fulfilled, as they are simply digital and spiritual.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)