Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on August 29, 2013.
About this project
We would like to thank all of you for your support. Our project continues, and more information can be found here: www.thompsonlsr.com
- The skin of the car is made-up entirely of 68 hand formed aluminum panels. They are connected to the subframe via simple Dzus buttons.
- The streamliner has two engines, one on either side of the cockpit. The original 1960s setup delivered nearly 1800hp. Our new engines provide close to 4000hp.
- The engines are dry blocks (waterless), which means all of the cooling is provided by the fuel. A single run will consume approximately 50 gallons of nitro blend fuel.
- The car ends its runs nearly 500 pounds lighter due to fuel consumption.
- The tires are a prototype nylon weave backed with banded steel. There is only 1/32 of an inch of rubber. Any more would spin off due to heat and expansion. They are custom made by Mickey Thompson Tires.
- Primary stopping power is provided by dual parachutes that deploy four foot blossoms. We also have four carbon fiber disk brakes just in case.
Risks and challenges
Claiming the piston driven world land speed record will be incredibly difficult. Since 1947, only 11 individuals have managed to go over 400mph in a piston driven car. We're aiming for at least 450mph.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (50 days)