HOW FAR WE’VE COME
Thanks to the amazing support of our community and fans, we raced past our initial goal for The Grand Paradise and have continued an incredible climb to higher and higher stretch goals, helping us bring this fabulous vision to life. Here’s what we’ve achieved:
• $21,700 (original goal) ACHIEVED! This gives us the minimum funds needed to design and build the environments of The Grand Paradise. We reached this goal in just 7 hours. You did that, you beautiful beauties!
• $26,700 ACHIEVED! Period Specifics, Fun with Film, and the SHARK: This lets us to fit out the world with more period-specific scenic elements like vintage arcade games and pinball machines, 70s décor and textiles, swag oil lamps, and vinyl. We'll also incorporate video and projection into the performance, adding another medium to this multi-sensory experience. AND we'll get a special treat for opening weekend: a Mechanical Rodeo Hammerhead Shark for our Opening Night party and “The Morning After-Party." Kickstarter pledges starting at $600 or above get VIP access during these events!
• $36,700 ACHIEVED! Water Features: We’re adding a waterfall (yup!), an enormous fountain of youth, tons of foliage and tropical vegetation, and an actual shipwreck! Holy moly!
• $45,000: ACHIEVED! The Grotto: We will create a cavernous grotto behind the waterfalls and fountain (think every awesome pirate or treasure hunter movie you’ve ever seen). We will add water features, sculpt floor-to-ceiling stalagmites and stalactites, and make this space into a chasm-like sunken subterranean environment.
• $65,000: ACHIEVED! THE AQUA TWIN TANK, a human-sized aquarium big enough for two of our residents, the Aqua Twins, to perform their watery displays. This is one of our biggest ticket items, an inset acrylic tank connecting the Fountain of Youth and the Grotto (see previous stretch goals for details), in which we will fashion an underwater world for the performers to submerge themselves, with multiple playing spaces and viewing points for the audience to watch and interact.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Fantasy Island meets Xanadu (Olivia Newton John, not Kubla Khan) meets David Lynch meets William Faulkner meets Third Rail Projects’ signature brand of award-winning immersive performance = THE GRAND PARADISE
Building upon the success of our long-running, Bessie Award-winning immersive theater production Then She Fell (NEW YORK TIMES’ Top 10 theater shows of 2012, & VOGUE Magazine's Top Theater Experiences of 2013), Third Rail Projects is preparing to launch our next large-scale immersive/experiential performance, The Grand Paradise (formerly known as End of the World), set for a fall 2015 premiere in Brooklyn, New York. This is our most ambitious project to date: a two-hour performance that sprawls throughout a 5000+ square-foot space, where you will explore a labyrinthine tropical 1970s Shangri-La that runs on the eternal waters of the Fountain of Youth, tempts your deepest longings, and invites you into hidden scenes and intimate encounters with the denizens of this world.
We’re asking for you to help bring this production of The Grand Paradise to the finish line. Funds raised on Kickstarter go directly to the design elements; to create the exceptional environments and multi-sensory experiences for which our work is known.
A pas de deux of Desire and Death, a midlife crisis, a coming of age, and search for the Fountain of Youth at the all-inclusive resort of the eternally brokenhearted.
Set in those hazy and culturally liminal years of the late 1970s becoming the 1980s, the experience begins as you are handed a vintage plane ticket by a polyester-clad airline attendant. You and other guests find yourselves transported to The Grand Paradise, a tropical resort that purports to be the home of the original, genuine Fountain of Youth.
Greeted with a tropical drink, a garland of flowers, and an overly-cheerful Activities Director (who looks like he stepped out of a Charlie’s Angels episode), visitors encounter the resort’s resident population, characters who seem to embody the era’s shifting and blurring values—a rogue’s gallery of eccentrics, hustlers, eternal youths, gods, monsters, showgirls, and con men. Visitors to The Grand Paradise are invited to explore the grounds and the beaches, watch a floorshow, follow performers into one-on-one encounters or hidden scenes, drink from the Fountain of Youth, and trade their faded ideals for shiny new illusions. Audiences explore the palm tree-lined esplanade as they become immersed in a lushly designed world that tempts and indulges their deepest cravings, and offers to quench their unspoken desires.
You + Third Rail Projects = Paradise
Third Rail Projects has been developing The Grand Paradise for the past two years. With the incredible support of of arts organizations, community partners, and funders (including Third Rail Projects’ Producers Circle), the creation of the performance aspect of this work is nearing completion. With our own savings and the securing of start-up funds, we have much of the support we need to realize the New York City premiere of The Grand Paradise. Funds raised on Kickstarter will go directly to the design aspects of the premiere production—funds that will enable us to create lavish designs for dozens of individual environments. Your support will help enable us to create a 360-degree immersive world, one where every corner is lushly designed, where you can explore rooms, open drawers, discover hidden secrets and in doing so unravel the complex history and stories that make up this landscape.
To this end, we are delighted to offer our Kickstarter backers numerous ways to become a part of the world and the work, including:
- Opportunities to purchase tickets in advance of the general public;
- Exclusive insights into the process, including design renderings;
- Ways to become part of the fabric of the world by entry into The Grand Paradise’s guest registry. We’ll create travel documents bearing your name which can then be discovered within the production environments;
- 1970s-tastic collectable trading cards featuring The Grand Paradise’s resident population of colorful characters;
- Retro ViewFinders with slides of The Grand Paradise production photos;
- Many ways to be a guest at The Grand Paradise, from joining us at a dress rehearsal, during previews, celebrating with the company on opening night, attending our Morning After-Party on opening weekend, or having your own private dinner party with the creators inside the world of The Grand Paradise.
Risks and challenges
The project will happen either way, but without Kickstarter funds, we will have to scale back considerably on the design/experience. These funds from our Kickstarter campaign will make The Grand Paradise the production it needs to be. Without them, the show will go on…but without many of the most vital elements of our vision.
SPECIAL THANKS FOR THEIR WORK ON THE KICKSTARTER VIDEO
Elizabeth Carena, Brittany Crowell, Alberto Denis, Sean Hagerty, Audrey Ketchell, Roxanne Kidd, Marissa Nielsen-Pincus, Tara O'Con, Joshua Reaver, Edward Rice, Isaiah Singer, Lucas Smith, Tori Sparks, Elisabeth Svenningsen, and Sarah Tricker
- (30 days)