About this project
Update @ 11/14: Thanks to your overwhelming love and support, we've met and exceeded our original funding goal! And because we've already made it so far, we now have a stretch goal of $13,500 that will help us cover a platemaker, plus bonus rewards for backers who pledged $55 or over. Check out our latest update and see why an in-house platemaker = awesome.
What’s Oakland Illustrated?
In an effort to help fund our new letterpress venture, we’ve teamed up with 10 talented designers and friends for our very first collaboration: Oakland Illustrated, a letterpress tribute to the city we call home. Each three-color print features a different experience in Oakland, printed with love in our studio on premium cotton paper.
Letterpress & Foil Prints
We also have two bonus 8x10 prints: “California”, a collaboration between Brent Couchman & Nate Luetkehans and “510 Forever”, a two-color foil print from Erik Marinovich, co-founder of Friends of Type and Title Case, featuring his first ever typeface “Hermanos”.
Where does the money go?
We have the amazing artwork and our trusty press — but we still need the funds for the official print run. At 10 different prints with three colors per print, Oakland Illustrated has already proven to be quite the challenge!
Successfully funding this project means that we'll be able to produce the project in a cost-effective way and smooth out any bumps that occur during the process. Here's where the money will go:
- The best supplies for the best possible results. We've worked closely with our artists to make sure that each print turns out amazing. This means that every detail in each design has been carefully considered for the best results.
- We need to order enough supplies to make the project cost-effective. The higher the quantity, the lower cost per run. This will make Oakland Illustrated more affordable and widely available to everyone.
- As we continue to tweak, test, and refine our prints, we'll also need to make a brand new set of plates. Plates are expensive to produce. But (fingers crossed) if we meet our stretch goal, we'll also be able to buy our own platemaker, making our process even more affordable.
As our "thank you" for your support, we'll be printing and sharing this first edition run with our Kickstarter friends in the Bay Area and beyond — that means YOU!
Who is The Weekend Press?
The Weekend Press is an Oakland-based letterpress printing and design studio that brings together the quality and craft of a fine printer with the charm and aesthetic of a modern designer.
It's a studio where local Bay Area artists, illustrators, and designers can collaborate with us to realize their art as printed editions or beautifully finished client pieces.
As designers ourselves, we want your work to be printed exactly how you envisioned it and help you seamlessly translate your artwork into letterpress.
What are the rewards?
Prints from Oakland Illustrated, exclusive to you! As our thank you for your love and support, these prints will only be available through Kickstarter — you’ll be among the few lucky people to own this first edition print set.
So if you know someone else who loves letterpress as much as you do, please share this project with them!
Here’s what you’ll get for supporting our project and our contributing artists:
Who are these incredible artists?
Friends of The Weekend Press
Big thanks to our friends who contributed to this collaboration, you’re a constant source of inspiration. Thank you also to our mentors for being a resource and your valuable guidance, and to our family for believing in us and supporting our ink and paper adventure. Of course, we can’t forget our furry companion: thanks for always greeting us with a wagging tail and lots of love at the end of a long day. We wouldn’t be here without all of you!
What if we exceed our goal?
First of all — happy dance!
Apart from dancing shoes, it takes a lot of materials, from paper to ink to cleaning supplies, to set up shop. All of the additional funds would help us meet our deadline and make it even easier for artists and designers to make their letterpress dreams come true.
If we exceed our goal, we’ll be able to:
- Order more supplies in bulk and help us reduce costs. This makes letterpress printing even more feasible for artists and designers.
- Invest in a platemaker so that we can make plates in-house. Not only would this reduce our operating costs and boost house production capabilities, it gives designers more flexibility and control during production. Everybody wins!
Risks and challenges
We have a production plan in place that will ensure delivery before Christmas. But as with any tight production deadline, we may need a few extra hands for quality control, packing, shipping, and making sure that your reward arrives in your mailbox, safe and sound.
If we meet our first stretch goal, an in-house platemaker means we’ll have a faster, more efficient production process which helps us meet our deadline.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)