About this project
- YES! More awesome upgrades for the Cooking with the Vegan Zombie kitchen!
- We are creating a NEW Cook & Survive! STICKER to include
with EVERY printed cookbook reward!
(See our Final Hours update for details!)
We are going to UPGRADE The Vegan Zombie Kitchen! We're dying to do some repairs and renovations to our kitchen where we film Cooking with The Vegan Zombie. Improved kitchen = improved show! Here's the plan:
- Replace the kitchen cabinets & countertops ($3500)
- Get a new fridge & dishwasher ($1500)
- Upgrade our stove & oven ($1000)
- Re-model a wall to expand kitchen area ($1500)
- Awesome doggie bowls for Indy ($20)
(See our 999 Backers update for details!)
- We will add at least 30 more pages of newly photographed, insanely delicious recipe photos to the cookbook!
- We're including a custom bookmark with ALL printed cookbook rewards!
- We will DOUBLE our print run:
More cookbooks = more great vegan eats in more homes all over the world!
- A bigger, better, more awesome The Vegan Zombie cookbook for EVERYONE!
(See our COOKBOOK EXPANSION: It's happening! update for details!)
Cooking with THE VEGAN ZOMBIE
In 2009, Jon and I started an online vegan cooking show set in a zombie apocalypse. What began as having a great time filming some of our favorite recipes quickly turned into an insanely popular internet sensation. In just a few months, The Vegan Zombie YouTube channel was getting thousands of views and our videos were collecting dozens of comments a day.
Our unique concept makes our episodes entertaining, and well, totally viral: A zombie virus is carried through the meat and dairy infecting the people that consume it. How do you survive? Our lone survivor host Jon gives us tips and tricks on how to stay safe from the zombies and teaches us how to make delicious vegan recipes. Our videos also feature special guest appearances, zombies (of course!) and who could forget The Vegan Zombie's famous, four-legged sidekick, Indy?
We've uploaded over 100 videos. Our YouTube channel has over 25,000 subscribers and over 1.4 million views. The Vegan Zombie Facebook Page is up to almost 20,000 followers. It's been an intense journey – with mouth-watering vegan food, late night video sessions, wild road trips, meeting awesome people everywhere, appearances at expos and conventions across the country, filming exciting new episodes at every opportunity, and interacting with incredible people like you.
Our viewers are asking us all the time...
"Hey, do you guys have a cookbook?"
With your help, and this Kickstarter campaign, the answer will finally be: YES!
For months, we've been putting together all of our online recipes for a printed cookbook. And we decided to create 10 to 15 new recipes to make it even more awesome! This isn't just any cookbook: It's a full-color graphic novel that illustrates the adventures of The Vegan Zombie.
The Vegan Zombie – Cook & Survive!
- A unique, graphic novel style cookbook
- 150+ full-color pages of stories, delicious recipes, cooking secrets, mouth-watering food photos & killer zombie art!
- 80+ vegan recipes – easy to follow, seriously delicious!
- The epic story & illustrated adventures of The Vegan Zombie
We're working with our artist, Rob, to create page after page of killer illustrations for the cookbook! Check out the STUDIO SNEAK PEEK update for more!
"Shotgun? Check. Med kit? Check. Underground bunker stocked with soy
jerky, almond butter, & nutritional yeast? Double check. Ready for
the zombie apocalypse? Almost. We'll only be fully, absolutely prepared
with The Vegan Zombie Cookbook!”
– Terry Hope Romero, Veganomicon, Vegan Eats World, Viva Vegan!
"Like nobody before, The Vegan Zombie devours the scenery with a lively blend of comedy, horror and epically delish vegan food porn. If the zombie apocalypse goes down, I want to be side by side with this superfood superhero with cleaver and melon baller in hand. Seriously, though, The Vegan Zombie is hip enough for their own show on MTV or Food Network, but accessible enough for your Uncle Herb to dig their dank plant-based recipes, too. Hot damn! I can't wait to see what these guys come up with for their graphic novel cookbook. You guys are killin' it. Literally."
– Jason Wrobel, Celebrity Vegan Chef & Cooking Channel host of How to Live to 100
"If you're like me, the occasional flash of life during or after a zombie apocalypse crosses your mind. C'mon, we both know you've thrown a few karate chops in the air after watching Zombieland or an episode of The Walking Dead. But what about life after zombies as a plant-eater? Not to fear, The Vegan Zombie crew has got you covered! With a myriad of original and delicious recipes, plus a touch of their post-apocalyptic world, you can count on hilarious dialogue, entertaining scenarios, and some of the best – and easiest – recipes you'll ever make."
– Kristin Lajeunesse, Will Travel for Vegan Food
"The Vegan Zombie, besides being amazingly entertaining and
funny, is an educational program where vegan cooking is made easy,
straight forward and manageable for even the busiest of people – like
myself! The recipes are really one of a kind and open viewer's eyes to
how delicious and simple vegan cooking can be."
– Jessie Williams, EatPastry
"I'm such a Vegan Zombie fanboy! I can't wait to see what the Zombie Crew comes up with for their first book! I'm sure it will be nothing short of ax-ellent! Let's make it happen! I do have one request, though: a raw bread recipe called Night of the Living Bread."
– Brian L. Patton, The Sexy Vegan
"I'm supporting The Vegan Zombie's Kickstarter project to help save humanity. Hunkering down in your safe house with their awesome cookbook will be the best defense in the impending Zombie apocalypse. Fo'realz!"
– Cobi Kim, Veggietorials
"The Vegan Zombie is absolutely, hands down my favorite vegan cooking show on the planet. Jon and Chris are masters of deliciousness, creativity and charm. They constantly deliver pure magic with a giant side of amusement. I can't wait to get my grubby, turmeric-stained hands on their illustrated cookbook, Cook & Survive."
– Justin P. Moore, The Lotus and the Artichoke
"Zombies? Vegan food? Are you calling my name, or what? The Vegan Zombie's videos were love at first sight: the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie episode sent me running to the kitchen to get baking. I totally can't get enough of Jon, Chris & Indy!" – Jasmin, Baking the Law (Germany)
"Next to having their own cooking show on TV or restaurant, a Vegan Zombie cookbook is a dream come true! It's really about time, isn't it? Jon, Chris & Indy have proven that plant-based food can be mouth-watering, easy to prepare and a lot of fun. They already inspire thousands of men, women and children to get into the kitchen to whip up compassionate cuisine, so I can only imagine how many lives this book will change (and save) ...except for the living dead, but they don't really count."
– Whitney, Eco-Vegan Gal
Where does the funding go?
- Artist's fees – for the awesome, original artwork
- Graphic design & editorial expenses
- To pay those intense printing costs
- Reward production – posters, screen-printed t-shirts, totebags, etc.
- Postage expenses – for shipping your rewards
How can you help us?
- SUPPORT our Kickstarter campaign with a pledge
- Pick a cool reward – Sponsor generously
- SHARE our Kickstarter – Tell your friends & followers on Facebook & Twitter.
- Visit TheVeganZombie.com - Watch our videos, try our recipes.
- LIKE The Vegan Zombie Facebook page
- Follow us on Twitter: @theveganzombie - Reply to & RT our tweets
- Contact us for info about interviews, articles, special features, and other publicity & promotion!
Risks and challenges
Awesome videos and cooking up great vegan food are like second nature to us. We've been doing both forever. But since this is our first cookbook, we've got lots of experienced friends to guide us through new territory and important decisions and logistics. We've got folks to help us negotiate the expensive and complicated printing arrangements and all the production arrangements for our rewards. We're ready to face the challenges on the way to finally making this graphic novel cookbook a reality. We've been planning this project for a long time. Now, we're determined to make it happen. With your help, we're sure to be successful!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)