So I heard you like Dice?
Well we do too! So much so I made my sister a giant Leather D20 for Christmas to help her look after hers. So many people loved it and wanted their own, I set about designing a way to make that happen. Now here we are.
The initial prototypes were made and set loose in the wild and initial feed back was strong. I made some minor adjustments to the design and now they are ready to go to new homes.
Whats in the Box?
In every box you will find everything you need to build your very own Giant D20 Draw Sting Dice Bag.
- 20 Press cut 3-4 mm (approximately) thick Vegetable tanned leather side panels, in your choice of 12 colour finishes.
- 5 of these panels will come preset with eyelets ready for your drawstring cord. Which 5 will depend on if you choose to have a Blank finish, Natural 20, Natural 1, or a Spindown configuration.
- 1 length of colour coordinated silky rattail cord for your drawstring.
- 1 plastic colour coordinated sprung slide toggle, to keep everything secure.
- 2 plastic colour coordinated cord end toggles.
- 1 Scroll of assembly instructions.
- Many Many meters of braided cord to lace all the panels together.
When your Kit is built your Bag will Measure approximately 14.5cm X 14.5cm
Options? What are these options you speak of?
How about Colours? I don't know about you but I'm a big fan of colour.
So what do we have here? I've tried to get accurate representations of the colours of the mostly water based dyes I use, but as with anything, lighting and screen settings may vary.
- Portable Hole (Black): A Classic no nonsense solid Black.
- Evil Queen (Purple): A rich deep purple that makes me think of Disney villains and Cadbury chocolate.
- Glorious Revolution (Lilac): is a bit of an odd one, named for Sir Terry this lilac can sometimes appear more pinky than pale purple. Leather being a natural product can vary.
- Love Potion (Pink): says it all really, a warm rosy pink that's more punky than pastel
- Two by Two (Blue): this one is a lovely bright blue, slightly darker than Alice's dress when she tumbled down the rabbit hole.
- Gorgon (Green): this one reminds me of scaled creatures and evergreen woods.
- Studied (Scarlet): A bright red, just like you'd expect in a rainbow.
- Jawa (Brown): the first of our two browns, this one is a warmer reddish brown.
- Locked Chest (Brown): our second is a darker, definite brown of solid old wood.
- Soul (Orange): a lovely warm bright orange, unfortunately it doesn't glow like its namesake.
- Unspeakable (yellow): this yellow is a warm ochre like yellow, comforting not striking.
And Lastly 'Muggle' which isn't really a colour at all but more an absence of colour entirely. 'Muggle' is how our natural leather looks, before we work our magic with our dyes. Arthur Weasley was fascinated by Muggles who, with their lack of magical gift, could unleash all manner of creativity upon the world. We cant wait to see the wonderfully different designs that happen to these panels. Using anything from acrylic paints, to Biro, dyes, stains, Pyrography, or traditional leather carving. Natural Leather is a great canvas for a wide variety of mediums.
What about the Cords and toggles? all the cords and toggles are selected to coordinate with the coloured panels, these may vary slightly from the images above but will always look fabulous.
Numbers, Numbers, Numbers.
Okay you got me there should be 4 pictures up there, but you get the idea:
- Blank : No numbers just smooth smooth sides.
- Natural 20: We set eyelets in the numbers 2,4,14,18, and 20 so you can arrange your pieces like a standard dice, you'll always score a Critical hit with a 20 to the top.
- Natural 1: We set eyelets in the numbers 1,3,7,17 and 19 you can still arrange your pieces like a standard dice, but maybe you prefer to get those epic fails out on the table before you roll.
- Spin down: We set eyelets in the numbers 16,17,18,19, and 20 for if you prefer a little more order to your chaos or just like counting things down.
That looks like a lot of sewing?
Honestly, its going to take a few hours to put together, but on the plus side if you can lace a shoe you'll be fine. Both the Simple Cross Stitch and Straight Lace are exactly as you would expect. The Edge Stitch look great running round each panel, but is a little trickier to get the tension between panels right. (these pictures are taken of the prototype pieces, the new panels have 8 holes along each side not 7 which gives a nice even number of X's)
You can lace these pieces together with your fingers but a needle with a large eye/ tapestry Needle will definitely help make things a little easier.
Special Effect finishes, the Glitters and Chromatic colours, unfortunately cost more than standard dyes. Any Kits using these finishes will cost £5 more than the standard range per kit to cover the additional costs to produce.
All 6 Stretch Goal Special Effect Colours, Its really quite tricky to capture quite how cool these finishes are.
Glitter Storm - Blue. Unlocked please add £5 per standard bag pledge to upgrade to this finish
Glitter Storm - Green. Unlocked If you would like this colour please add £5 to your standard coloured bag pledge to upgrade to this finish.
Glitter Storm - Red. Unlocked If you would like this colour please add £5 to your standard coloured bag pledge to upgrade to this finish.
Unicorn Blood. LOCKED
Galactic Mermaid Colour shifting finish Blue/Purple/Green. Unlocked please add £5 per standard bag pledge to upgrade to this finish
PraimFaya Colour Shifting Red/Orange/Gold. LOCKED
Flame: Unlocked Available as a standard colour
Tendril: Unlocked Available as a Standard Colour
Our Stickers are Paper not Vinyl with a low gloss finish. These are your options for your £5 reward pledge or both sets for the £10. If you would like to add these on to your Kit Bag Pledges please add either £5 or £10 to your pledge and let us know your preference in the pledge manager.
Stickers are 5 cm X 7 cm
Extra Add Ons
So other than bringing Giant D20's to the masses I currently make a range of collapsible dice rolling trays. If you would like me to send you out a rolling tray to match your beautiful new bag add an extra £20 to your pledge and let me know your chosen design and colour in the pledge manager.
If you would like a rolling tray to match your bag kit with a special effect finish, please add the £5 to upgrade you bag kit finish, and then the £20 add on for your rolling tray, i'll upgrade the finish for free.
If you want a standard coloured kit or a muggle kit, but a special effect finish on you rolling tray add on, please add £22.50 for your rolling tray.
Colours available include the 11 standard colours for the D20 kits with the choice of antique or wash effect top finish:
- Black: adds depth and shadows to the embossing.
- Brown: adds an aged effect .
- Gold: will highlight the recesses.
- Silver: will highlight the recesses.
- Copper: will highlight the recesses.
- Turquoise: will highlight the recesses.
If you chose to have a special effect finish for your rolling tray you won't be able to choose an antique finish or wash, as it will effect the sparkle of your glitter and lessen the chromatic shift of Galactic Mermaid or Praimfaya
Risks and challenges
Yes, this is my first project of this kind, however I have already made most of the investment needed to bring this project to life.
I am a full time Leather Worker, and once this project is complete, I will be able to aim to start fulfilling pledges right away.
As this is my first project I have set the dispatch dates further back than I currently believe I will need so as not to disappoint people with an over due run.
- (30 days)