The Spacious Tarot is a tarot deck, but to simply call it a tarot deck does not fully describe the magic you'll find here. This deck invites you into an energetic realm, beckoning you to enter and explore. Immerse yourself in the scenes. Sink into the colors and textures. It doesn't matter if you are new to tarot or a seasoned reader - these cards will evoke your intuition!
You'll find a mixture of traditional tarot imagery as well as alternate perspectives here. Our primary aim has been to get the FEELING of each card right. This has resulted in earthy, nature based illustrations, as well as more mystical and cosmic elements.
It was meant to be.
The Spacious Tarot is a collaboration between illustrator Annie Ruygt and tarot reader Carrie Mallon. We met via Instagram and bonded over our shared love of tarot (and the band Hanson!). Carrie had been secretly fantasizing about creating a deck with Annie for months. When Annie reached out with the same idea, it was clear the universe wanted this collaboration to happen!
We embarked on this project in September 2016. Even before the deck had a title, SPACIOUSNESS emerged as a theme in the artwork as well as the creative process. We played with different illustration styles and concepts. We took breaks when needed. The deck came forward organically, at its own pace.
We trusted that as long as we remained open to the ebbs and flows of the creative process, this deck would take shape exactly as the universe intended it to. It felt like the visual and energetic signature of these cards was already out there in the ether, and we just needed to provide a way for it to take shape and form. Now that the deck is nearly complete, the result is more magical, beautiful and poignant that we ever could have imagined.
The Spacious Tarot is a 78 card tarot deck, loosely based on the Waite-Smith system. The deck will come with an accompanying guidebook tucked right into the box. You will surely form your own connection to these cards, but the guidebook will offer nudges to help you bond with this unique deck.
This deck belongs to you now.
There are no humans in our deck, but there are a few hints of humans (such as the skeleton hands in Death and the lantern in The Hermit). A few animal companions are present, most notably in the court cards. The courts have also been re-named to focus less on gender and hierarchy, and more on levels of experience. The Child is equivalent to what most decks call Page, Explorer for Knight, Guardian for Queen and Elder for King.
We are on track to have the guidebook, final card illustrations and box design complete by the time our 30 day Kickstarter campaign closes. We've selected a printer and received quotes. We've also estimated how much funding we will need for printing and shipping decks to us from our overseas printer, packaging materials, the various rewards for Kickstarter backers, and other miscellaneous costs associated with producing a tarot deck independently.
Accounting for production and delivery time to us from the printer, we estimate we'll be ready to ship decks out to you late fall 2019. We will keep all backers informed of the status!
We literally cannot complete this deck without you! Your support here on Kickstarter is what makes this deck possible! We can't thank you enough for supporting this project!
- 78 cards printed on 350 gsm card stock with matte finish, smallest side measuring 6.8mm or 2.75 inches.
- Borderless imagery with slightly rounded corners
- Printed on 100% post-consumer recycled card stock
- Sturdy one piece box with flip cover lid and matte finish
- Guidebook that fits in the box on top of the cards
Depending on which tier you choose, there are various rewards available to thank you for supporting us here on Kickstarter! Here's a little more information about what we have on offer.
- The Spacious Tarot deck + guidebook. Of course, this is what everyone wants! This is comes with all of the tiers except the lowest pledge amount.
- Postcard pack. These will measure 5x7 inches, feature the major arcana cards from the deck and have a matte finish. Total of 5 in a pack. The postcards you receive were meant for you!
- Bonus audio deck guide. The deck comes with a paper guidebook which does offer some insight into our chosen imagery, but we wanted the official guidebook to leave plenty of room for intuitive interpretations. If you're interested in lots of details about our creative process and why we each card looks the way it does, the audio guide is for you! It will feature Carrie and Annie discussing the behind the scenes process of choosing imagery and creating all 78 cards.
- One inch enamel pin. These will be limited edition (as in we probably won't offer them again after our Kickstarter campaign ends), and feature the flower from our Death card.
- Notebook. This will be a medium sized notebook featuring art from the deck.
- Custom wooden deck box. A super limited offering for the DIAMOND and PLATINUM tiers! These will be crafted from pine wood and feature an engraving based on our Ace of Pentacles card! Box will close securely with a hinged lid to store your deck in a very special place.
- Personalized written tarot reading. This is also available only as part of the DIAMOND and PLATINUM tiers. Carrie will offer you a customized reading using The Spacious Tarot. We'll communicate through email before the reading to discuss potential focus areas. Your reading will be delivered as a PDF and include a photo of your cards!
- Custom art piece based on your personalized reading. This is available only as part of the PLATINUM tier. Annie will create a gorgeous original artwork, tarot inspired, just for you.
Since we have BLOWN AWAY our initial funding goal, we've decided to add a few fun bonuses for our Kickstarter backers! The following will now be included with every pledge tier that includes a deck:
- Stickers! We'll be creating stickers with art from the deck and you'll get one or two included with your deck. Use them for tarot journaling, stick them on your computer, or stick them wherever your heart pleases!
- Deck bag! You'll receive a 5" by 7" drawstring bag, just the right size to fit your tarot cards. We haven't designed the bags yet but will keep you posted!
- Expanded guidebook! In addition to entries for each of the cards, the guidebook will include some preliminary info about the art of tarot. It will still be small enough to fit in the box with the cards.
Risks and challenges
We hope that there are minimum risks associated with this project. We are on track to have the deck creation process finished shortly after our 30 day Kickstarter campaign ends, and hope to move to get the final products ready as soon as possible.
However, unexpected delays with the printing, shipping or creative processes are a possibility. We will do what we can to ensure things go smoothly, but sometimes poo-poo occurs, Mercury goes retrograde, things sometimes take longer than we hope they will! We will strive to keep things efficient as possible, and we'll definitely keep all backers informed of the status!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)