Put positive media in, get positive minds out ...
Our kids are growing up in a media-saturated world with easy access to both positive and negative media.
At SmartFeed, we believe when you feed kids powerful and inspiring content, they can become powerful and inspired people! SmartFeed wants to help parents take better control of the content their kids consume by delivering an abundance of positive content recommendations, customized for each child in the family.
SmartFeed 1.0 will include:
- One family portal that enables parents to easily curate, fetch, load and rate all kids’ media (by child, content, device type)
- Access to the broadest global database of kids’ digital media with aggregated ratings and reviews from trusted industry leaders.
- An ability for parents to configure their own media settings for each child by: Demographics, Values, Interests, Curriculum
- Options for parents to connect and share content favorites and family media management tips as well as trending content based on all families with similar family settings and media priorities
Future releases will include:
- Direct content delivery to devices and subscriptions
- Content and device usage management and monitoring
- Parent toolkit to block, promote and manage your kids’ ongoing digital media usage
- SmartFeed member discounts on trending content SmartFeed 1.0 includes recommendations across all digital media types.
Parents can easily curate Apps, Netflix Shows, YouTube videos, Movies, Online Games and Books, completely aligned with their family values. Parents can opt into social components to share content favorites and media management ideas By serving up better media to kids, SmartFeed is helping parents positively shape the next generation’s mindset in the midst of a media-saturated world.
Subscription fees will start at $14.99/month - but can be secured today for as low as $4.99/month with your reward pledges.
Think Pandora meets Netflix with Facebook - for Parents.
SmartFeed is the trusted platform & tool for parents to easily and, conveniently curate kid's digital media. As for how it works, think Pandora (curated recommendations) meets Netflix (ease of delivery) with Facebook (like minded community) for Parents.
- No more searching for top 10 lists.
- No more wondering if the content your kids want is right for your family.
- No more running out of inspiring content for the entire family.
- No more wondering what the impact is of the media your child absorbed at a friend’s home.
- No more battling about screen time with your kids
1. CURATE digital media and customize content by child, situation, ratings sources, content format and device type.
- Parents set dials by child, content and device type.
- SmartFeed rounds up content matching those criteria to deliver a family packet of recommended media.
- Media choices will be current, constantly reviewed and augmented with personal references from qualified SmartFeed curators.
Imagine crafting your children’s media content beyond just age, gender and negative filters to also prioritize values, interests, school curriculum, family dynamics and more - and then augmenting that plan as your children grow.
2. DELIVER a breadth of selected content directly to your family’s devices so the movies, shows, games, books and apps are pre-sorted and ready to consume real time.
How happy would it make you to leave for date night peacefully knowing your sitter has three appropriate movie options at the ready along with a host of inspiring multi-player apps and games your kids will love?
3. CONNECT to other like-minded parents to discover recommended content and media management best practices.
SmartFeed gives you the option to connect your family account with like minded parents to discover recommended content and better understand what media neighboring families are consuming. You can stay anonymous, share your feed with friends or get an aggregated feed of media trending across communities.
Included in subscriptions pre-purchased via Kickstarter will be future upgrades to the SmartFeed service, including the following improvements:
DELIVER 2.0 – SmartFeed will issue a free App for all major device platforms to improve the ease of delivery and aggregate all media recommendations into a single location, making it even easier for your children to stay in a safe and inspiring environment.
CONNECT 2.0 – SmartFeed will work with kids’ media leaders to access early reviews of leading research reports, recommended apps & movies, and support schools-in-need with leading kids’ media curriculum.
MANAGE 2.0 – New with future versions of SmartFeed will be a the ability to manage ‘screen time’ and a report back on each of your kids’ media usage by time of day, type of content and learning trajectory. Imagine knowing exactly what content your children have consumed so you can connect with them about it –
Kids today consume hours of unsupervised digital media a day*.
Much of that media is hyper-violent, hyper-sexualized and disappointing on many levels, leaving parents with limited ability to shape a positive storyline to impact their kids' world view.
Parents, your digital media and tech world is:
- Parents are overwhelmed with the variety of places to access media content.
- Too many ratings services exist, but all kids can't be generalized with the same needs
- It's frustrating to try and find new content that both kids and parents want to see.
- It's exasperating to "course correct" things your kids saw at friend’s homes that didn't fit your family guidelines.
3) CHALLENGING TO MANAGE
- It can be baffling to manage and set up your kids to see something on cable, Netflix, iTunes or on-line.
- It's exhausting to constantly battle kids about "one more minute" of screen time.
Kids’ worldviews are under siege by popular media: apps, games, movies, books. Parents try to manage digital media, but they’re uber-busy and it’s a herculean task.
Finding entertaining media, with positive messages that our kids actually wanted to engage with had become a huge challenge for our family. And even as my husband and I grappled with making the right media choices in our own home, we quickly realized the minute our kids hit the playground they absorbed “Second-Hand-Media” i.e. whatever other media their peers were consuming, they would absorb as well.
To affect change with our own kids, we wanted to do more than just filter out bad content, but instead help all parents feed positive content to their kids. That recognition launched me down a path to scour the universe of kids’ digital media – for entertainment and education – to find compelling, engaging and exciting apps, sites, console games, movies, books and music. And, to find the best resources and ratings advocates for kids' media to keep new content funneling into our home.
SmartFeed 1.0 Feature Set
This Kickstarter campaign will fund our first version of SmartFeed. Our vision for SmartFeed is broad, but we are taking a Lean Startup approach to develop it. That means we will build version 1.0 as a core subset of our vision. We will then put it in the hands of families, see what we learn about how people really use it, what works and what doesn’t, and decide what to change for the next version. We’ll make adjustments, release a new version, learn some more, and continue to iterate our way to a SmartFeed that makes it easy and enjoyable for parents to manage media for their families.
SmartFeed 1.0 will include a subset of the Curation and Connection components of the service:
- Parents set dials by child, content and device type.
- SmartFeed rounds up content matching those criteria and delivers a list of recommended media.
- These media choices will be current, constantly reviewed and augmented with personal references from qualified SmartFeed curators.
- Parents can opt to connect to their networked families and share media expertise and/or content recommendations.
- Parents can opt to receive an aggregated feed of content rated by other families with similar media settings by child.
- Parents can also completely opt out of any shared media expertise or other family’s connections.
Future versions of SmartFeed will expand Curation and Connection functionality, and will add Delivery and Management features.
- Family Subscriptions - at reduced rates
- Additional Subscriptions for your child's class mates - or to donate to communities in need.
- Sneak Peak media recommendations
- Proprietary research on kids digital media usage
- Partnerships with leading kids' media leaders such as Common Sense Media and The Representation Project
- And - Great Karma!
Thank you for making the world better - one child's mindset at a time.
We are building SmartFeed with a team of seasoned technology and media industry experts, entrepreneur veterans, and – most importantly – kids' advocates.
Linsly Donnelly - Founder and mom of three, Linsly brings decades of experience building teams, products, brands and businesses. She is a start-up veteran (co-founder and C.O.O. Joann.com, C.M.O. Wine.com, Mission Control Red.com, co-founder and GM – YogaLoftMB), strategist (Bain & Company, Coca Cola USA, Kraft GF), family advocate (author – Happy Go Local: Smart Mom’s Guide to Living the Good (and Sustainable Life), consultant (LA's BEST – After School Enrichment), and PTA President (Mill Valley). Outside of work, Linsly enjoys writing, scuba diving, teaching yoga and adventures with her husband and children. A transplant from her beloved Texas, Linsly splits time near the water (San Francisco Bay Area, CA) and in the mountains (Park City, UT).
Susan George - Marketing Communications, tech start-up veteran, and mom of two, Susan brings more than two decades of experience in marketing, branding and communications. She's helped create and refine the brands for dozens of startup technology companies, including Danger, Placecast, Skyfire and more, and has also worked with major brands such as Visa and Intel on targeted marketing initiatives.
Lindsey Crawford - Creative Director, mom of two, children and family products creative/design (Kindred SF, other). Lindsey made the decision to pursue design after exhausting her passion to travel the world. Lindsey knows life is short and, as such, is dedicated on working on projects that will make a difference in the world. Lindsey has years of experience working with leading consumer brands including CamelBak, Ahnu Footwear, Bonterra Wines, Fetzer Wines, BathSimple, Lifefactory, Tangible Play (Osmo) and Coyuchi. Lindsey has a passion for product design. She designed and developed a children’s product, Monster Stencils. Before her advertising career she co-founded, Intao, Inc, a web development and design company.
Seth Hynes - Strategy & Partnerships and father to three boys, Seth has 15 years building world-class consumer brands. Seth has worked for both Start-Ups and Fortune 500 corporations across multiple industries, including Consumer Packaged Goods (Beringer Vineyards, Robert Mondavi Winery), Automotive (General Motors Saturn), Fashion (VacayStyle.com) and Consumer Electronics/Telecommunications (Sprint PCS, Motorola, Samsung). Combined with an International Finance MBA from the University of Oxford and having worked on both the Agency and Client sides of various businesses, Seth is a well-rounded global business executive and team leader.
Didi Engel - Consumer Insight and Business Development, mom of two, internet veteran (XO Media) and consumer products manager (P&G), Didi has spent the past two decades leading teams in business development and eCommerce and building dozens of strategic partnerships with companies such as Target, Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Macy's. However her greatest passions are her family and raising her 7 and 9-year-old boys.
Sean Crawford - Technology and Products, full-stack web developer and father of two boys, Sean has been leading web and product development teams since 2001. He's steeped in modern business and development practices including lean, agile, scrum, leading with culture, and producing maintainable code. He's also an aspiring cognitive scientist, entrepreneur, and emotional intelligence advocate. Sean loves the outdoors and hikes the ridge above his house every day at lunch time. His other passions include family time, adventure travel, high mountains, subtropical beaches, and playing harmonica and bamboo flute.
Sally Clapper - Web designer, social media marketing guru, and mom of two boys, Sally has been known to say her family is not an important thing in her life – it is her everything. She brings decades of experience writing impeccable custom and search-engine-optimized content, building engaging, responsive websites and implementing social media marketing strategies to start ups launch with a strong online footing and established companies to take their identities to the next level. As a prior teacher, parent counselor and certified emotional intelligence trainer, SmartFeed is near and dear to her heart and exemplifies the type of tool she wished she’d had when her boys were younger.
Kent Johnson - Videographer and Editor, Kent first picked up a camera at the age of 12 and hasn’t put one down since. By the age of 16, he was producing promotional videos on behalf of action sport companies, including Red Bull. Growing up on the cusp of the media takeover, Kent witnessed how valuable managing screentime is. Experiencing the battle between imagination and animation, he looked to nature and his camera for inspiration. Due to his outdoor lifestyle, he is delighted to capture and produce films that will help support SmartFeed, hoping to influence children to be both mentally inspired and physically active for years to come.
Victoria Hinks - Talent Advocate, seasoned recruiter for start-ups and established media and entertainment companies (TBS, Dolby, Scient.) and mom of two, Victoria brings more than 12 years of experience building and growing organizations. She is dedicated to helping her kids achieve a healthy approach to media and technology.
CONNECT WITH US!
SmartFeed is the trusted platform & tool for parents to easily and, conveniently curate and manage kid's digital media - across all content and device platforms. By serving up better media to kids, SmartFeed is helping to positively shape the next generation’s mindset in the midst of a media-saturated world.
As for how it works, think Pandora (curated recommendations) meets Netflix (ease of delivery) with Facebook (like minded community) for Parents.
Why do we need this? Media is increasingly everywhere, especially in front of our children. Kids find and consume it easily– -- just like junk food –-- but much of it is garbage. SmartFeed aims to change the paradigm: rather than just filtering out the junk, what if we could feed our kids positive, engaging, healthy content instead? Enter SmartFeed!
A breadth of great content for kids and teens exists....parents just need help finding it. SmartFeed makes finding great media and managing the content your kids consume easy and convenient.
Risks and challenges
This Kickstarter campaign helps us build SmartFeed 1.0 with curation and parent recommendations/ratings feature sets.
We are building version 1.0 via a large scale database and real parents vetting that database to ensure we get all of our ratings and resources right. We are also mapping that content at the highest quality for our parents' settings. And, we're working to make sure the parent web application platform is uber-easy to use and compelling to visit – often!
In short,we want to delight parents as they navigate their kids' digital media environments.
We think we've estimated the timing to do this first build well but, as with all technology, we won't know 110% until we're into the building phase. We're fortunate to have folks with deep expertise on our team.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)