Sixteen years is a long time. Sixteen years is how long it's been since I originally conceptualized this fictional universe of mine. My name is DaiQuan Cain and it was in November of 2001 when I was ten-years-old as I watched the news coverage of George Harrison's passing (and found myself still in a state of shock over the terror attacks that had rocked my home city only two months prior on September 11th) when it hit me:
I'd always read about superheroes who dealt with supervillains that didn't operate in the same realm as myself, but what if there was a team like the ones that I'd always read about but slightly different? What if there were a cast of comic book characters who dealt with the same real-world issues like the ones that I'd just become privy to in my young life? Henceforth, my deeply flawed-but-effective team of heroes "The Silent Descendents" were born.
With the encouragement of my mother and brother, I committed to the idea that I'd formulated and pursued it through numerous incarnations over the next fourteen years until 2015, when I decided to finally commit to an official canon for the story that had grown inside of me through my pre-teen years all the way into my adulthood past many transitions - the most recent one (at that point) being the revelation that I would soon be a father to a precious little girl named Cassandra.
"What foundation could I lay for her?", "What type of legacy did I want to leave behind for myself one day?": Those were the types of questions that I'd nervously ask myself for days following the great news of her impending birth. And without hesitation, I knew that it had to be these very characters and their story that I'd let ferment in my heart & mind for years to do the job. Now, in 2017 - after sixteen years since their creation and two years since their commitment to canon - I hope to bring The Silent Descendents and their heartfelt journey to as many readers and fans as humanly possible through publication!
Any pledges donated to this project, no matter how big or small, truly do mean the world to me and I'm absolutely grateful for any type of support given to it. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
This story is a 100-page graphic novel, written & created by myself (DaiQuan Cain), which serves as the first chapter of a possible trilogy and in-universe anthology series.
"The Silent Descendents" tells the story of an Irish-American family from Yonkers, New York who find themselves distraught after losing their firefighter patriarch Richard Darkfury and (soon-to-be) in-law Ashley DeCiantis in a school bombing perpetrated by a local & powerful crime syndicate called "The Chain Gang" in retaliation for the recent arrest of their leader's son - an act of which they perceived as one of rebellion, given the criminals' long-standing stronghold on the NYPD.
In response to the violent tragedy, the four mourning children of the newly deceased fireman's family respond to the tragedy each in their own way while their psychologist mother Dr. Christine Lorio does her best to hold their crumbling family together in the wake of her family's heavy losses.
The eldest daughter of the family, Marie Darkfury, copes by using her skills as a journalist to investigate the case of the bombing; The eldest son, Harold Darkfury, uses his skills as a former Marine to exact his lethal brand of justice on his father & fiancee's killers through the revived alias of "Sgt. X"; The youngest two siblings, a brooding young man named Hayden and his joyful younger sister Sarah, taking the initiative to form a team with five of their fellow newly-superpowered friends to bring justice to those behind their hometown's terrorism. Though reluctant, aiding The Silent Descendents is NYPD Det. Irina Ladewig - the very cop who fatefully arrested crime boss Stephen Fiorelli's son to begin with.
The Silent Descendents:
- Hayden Darkfury, also known as Firefury: Brooding leader of The Silent Descendents who's still in mourning over the death of his High School sweetheart from years ago, as well as the fresh losses of his father and practical sister-in-law in recent weeks.
- Rachel Jane Jones, also known as Starshock: The Darkfurys' new next door neighbor who's a single mother and former stripper currently in search of her friend Margaret who disappeared under the employ of crime boss Stephen Fiorelli (also known as "Chain") - the head of the deadly "Chain Gang" syndicate.
- Evan Kyles, also known as Defyer: God-brother of the Darkfury siblings, former college track star, and older brother of Travis Kyles - an innocent teenager who was murdered five years ago by a racist detective on Chain's payroll.
- Maxwell Ford IV, also known as Tack: Billionaire CEO of Dynecore Enterprises, retired Marine, and respective former best friend and fiancé to Harold & Marie Darkfury whose past deeds as a covert operative in a government unit called "Virus" have come back to haunt him after the truth behind the disbanded group's missions are revealed to have been less than upstanding.
- Sarah Darkfury, also known as Deck: Youngest of the Darkfury siblings, former gymnast, current college student, and the secret love of her best friend Ben's life who is coping with her family's tragedy by documenting their mourning period in a documentary.
- James McAllister, also known as Grunge: The newly-returned hot head of the group and former con-artist who's seeking revenge against the Schlatter Sisters for killing an old friend of his on orders from Chain; Trained in a life of crime by his mentor Eva Salazar - a woman who adopted him with the intention of training a protegé to assist her in her crimes.
- Ben Lewis, also known as Buldger: College student, ethicist, and longtime best friend and admirer of Sarah Darkfury's since becoming pen-pals during his childhood in Illinois little before his father, a doctor, moved his eccentric wife and their only son to Yonkers in order to coincidentally take up a position beside Sarah's mother Dr. Christine Lorio at Van Hollen Hospital - something that Ben has held in his heart as fate for years.
- CREATIVE TEAM:
Creator & Writer - DaiQuan Cain
Letterer - Dezi Sienty
- PRINT GALLERY:
Postcard Set by Steven A. Wilcox & Felix Morales w. Colors by Dijjo Lima:
11x17 Print #1 - "Firefury" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #2 - "Starshock" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #3 - "Defyer" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #4 - "Tack" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #5 - "Deck" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #6 - "Grunge" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #7 - "Buldger" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #8 - "Richard Darkfury" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #9 - "Dr. Christine Lorio" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #10 - "Marie Darkfury" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #11 - "Sgt. X" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #12 - "Det. Irina Ladewig" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #13 - "Valoria" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #14 - "Cruiser" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
17x11 Print #15 - "The Mayflowers" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #16 - "William" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #17 - "Darcy" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #18 - "Gracewatcher" by Steven A. Wilcox & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #19 - "Chain" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #20 - "Monochrome" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #21 - "The Schlatter Sisters" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #22 - "Hydraulic" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #23 - "Sleek" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #24 - "Rev. Russell Dansby & Desert Rose" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #25 - "Gabrielle Dyne" by Dimitrius Miller
11x17 Print #26 - "Josiah Amherst" by Dimitrius Miller
11x17 Print #27 - "Emilia Barron" by Dimitrius Miller
11x17 Print #28 - "Margaret Taylor Markum" by Jefter Leite
11x17 Print #29 - "David A.L. Hewson" by Maz Adams & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #30 - Cover of "The Silent Descendents" by Rolf Hausen & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #31 - "Flashback: Rachel Jane Jones" by Adriano Araujo & Jesse Heagy
11x17 Print #32 - "Grunge Vs. Starshock" by Jefter Leite
11x17 Print #33 - "Defyer Defying" by Don Walker
17x11 Print #34 - "The Silent Descendents at Sunset" (Textless) by Steven A. Wilcox
17x11 Print #35 - "The Silent Descendents at Moonlight" by Dimitrius Miller
- BONUS REWARDS - HIGH TIER
- Pledge $100 or more to receive a signed 100-page copy of the graphic novel's script.
- Pledge $250 or more to receive 1 of 150 limited edition logo T-shirts.
- BONUS REWARDS - LOW TIER
*Added: 11/13/17 (Applies to Previous Donors)
- Pledge $25 to receive one head sketch of a random character; $50 to receive a bust sketch of any character of your choosing by Maz Adams [Instagram.com/MazAdamsArt].
- Pledge $25 or more to receive an audio code for "The Harvested: The Permutation Archives - Vol. I" by Kindra Sowder
- Pledge $25 or more to receive a PDF of "Shaman's Destiny #1" by Kyrun Silva
Risks and challenges
Having committed myself to this universe of characters for an incredible amount of time, I - the sole financier of this project (DaiQuan Cain) - can assure anyone who is kind or generous enough to donate to this project that their donations are in the best of hands and that absolutely nothing will get in the way of having their rewards fulfilled so long as the campaign in successful in attaining it's funding goal.
The challenges associated with this project are slim given the professionalism from all involved, a fact that I can vouch for, though setbacks are occasionally facts of life.
- In the possible case of delays pertaining to the production of the book, all donors will be notified and made aware of the situation immediately and given the option of a refund of their choice or an additional reward of their choosing.
- In the possible case of damaged rewards due to postal travel, each donor will be entitled to one exchange of said damaged product in an effort to remedy their loss.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)