A Sci-Fi based MMORPG which provides many of the same sandbox oriented features seen in Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online. Read more
This project was successfully funded on January 27, 2014.
About this project
Thanks to everyone that has contributed. We are talking contributions via Paypal (using a Paypal account or Credit Card) for about 11 days after the Kickstarter ends. We will be adding another payment option via Swipe (Credit/Debit Cards) in a few days if you wish not to use Paypal (or cannot). You can find the new Crowdfunding option for Paypal on our website by clicking on the image. All contributions will be added towards the Stretch Goals.
With the campaign coming to an end we are happy to share a new Teaser video.
We also have a detailed Backer Grid for all pledges making it easy to figure out what is included. Please continue to read on for more details about the project and be sure to check out our website and forums for additional information.
One of the most anticipated MMOs of 2014.
The Repopulation is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game in a science fiction setting. In many ways it is a throwback to the social aspects and sandbox driven gameplay that made titles like Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online successful. But it also integrates more recent innovations and introduces an array of its own unique wrinkles.
The driving force behind this game is choice to play the game in the way that you want to play it. The choice to play the game like an RPG or a first/third person shooter. To advance your character through combat or peaceful means. The freedom to craft and harvest without being forced into combat. To act as a hero or a villain. A thief, diplomat, home builder, tamer, crafter, or an entertainer. To participate in Player vs. Player combat or to avoid it altogether.
- Unique three faction PvP system, where the third faction is allowed to set its alliances on a nation by nation basis.
- Featuring both a Standard and a Hardcore rule set for PvP on separate servers. Standard rules include large protected regions where players can avoid PvP completely if they wish, and no player looting is allowed.
- Build cities in the open world or besiege the cities of your enemies.
- The city management system allows Mayors to micromanage a city’s resources and happiness levels.
- Military advancement system which rewards players with special abilities, titles, and gear.
- Set your alliances with other nations to one of five different levels ranging from Ally to Nemesis.
- Create up to 99 ranks for your nation, each with their own customizable names and settings.
- Engagements are similar to public quests which can mutate and spread throughout an area, changing its appearance or content.
- How players respond to an engagement will affect how it progresses or spreads.
- Engagements are intended to get players working together from the early stages of the game or encourage exploration.
- There are both combat and non-combat oriented engagements.
- Many engagements have long-term and far reaching effects.
- Settlements can turn into dungeons and towns can be overrun. Allowing this to happen can seriously alter the content available in an area.
- Player vs. Player engagements are similar to Open World battlegrounds.
- Inquire with NPCs to find out which engagements are available in different areas throughout the world.
- Auto-grouping options allow you to instantly group up with nearby participants, or disable it to play a more solo style.
- An Advanced Generated Mission system allows us to create complex multi-stage missions which are tailored specifically for your character.
- Missions can have branching outcomes based on a player’s actions and choices.
- Generated missions are mailed to your character as job offers and are accessible from anywhere in the game using your in-game PDA system.
- NPCs can speak about things that have happened to them. You can inquire of them to ask questions about many things, revealing hidden bits of knowledge or even special missions.
- Your actions will be remembered by NPCs, and they may attempt to exploit your tendencies.
- One Time Missions spawn in random locations throughout the wilderness to encourage exploration.
- Players can filter which types of missions they wish to receive, so only those missions are generated for them.
- Missions are not all combat oriented. There are crafting, harvesting, diplomatic, theft related, taming, and other non-combat variations available.
- Completing missions in a group will generate bonus rewards and automatically split them among your group.
- Skills based gameplay which features over 75 unique skills, and 12 tiers within each skill line.
- Players are not forced into combat roles. Crafting, harvesting, diplomatic, trapping, taming, entertainment, and other non-combat oriented skills can operate and progress independently of combat.
- Skills increase automatically through use. Abilities are earned and not given automatically.
- Multiple hidden skills waiting to be unlocked by true achievers.
- Skill Imprinting system allows you to imprint knowledge of skills into yourself, to make up for time spent doing other activities such as missions or engagements.
- Advanced Crafting systems which allows players to create thousands of variations of items through a total of 24 different trade skills.
- Three distinct harvesting methods: Harvester, Manual or Extracted. Harvesters allow you to place harvesters on nodes and then return to collect the resources later. Manual harvesting utilizes tools and requires player interaction with each node. Or you can extract resources such as hides, meat, tissue or DNA from corpses.
- Over-harvested areas will run dry of resources and recover slowly, rewarding players for discovering more remote locations.
- The crafting event system will require players to make decisions during the crafting process which will influence their result.
- Each of the game’s recipes has its own mastery level which can be increased to produce higher quality items.
- Extensive customization through the refinement process and fitting systems.
- Access the Auction Network from anyplace in the world using your in-game PDA. Place work orders as well requesting a certain resource at a requested grade.
- Two distinct modes of combat: Action Mode and RPG Mode. RPG Mode works like traditional RPG combat. Action Mode allows players to control the game in ways similar to a First Person Shooter. You can toggle between these modes at any time.
- Several twists to make combat more interesting including Momentum, Limb Targeting, Species Mastery, Energy Shields, Cover, and Postures.
- Generated special abilities system for bosses will force groups or raids to adjust on the fly when fighting bosses, rather than simply looking up spoiler information on the internet.
- Encourages grouping with a slew of social features such as skill gain bonuses and treasure bonuses while grouped. Along with those bonuses, combat abilities make use of openings created by other player’s abilities allowing for players to exploit those openings.
- Jump into combat in a vehicle, mech, or manned turret.
- Dive, roll and attack on the move.
- Customize your playing style with the fitting system. Weapons and armor come in cosmetic shells with the same stats and can be further modified via fittings that are placed in the shells like a socket or augmentation
- Entertain others through music, dance, or storytelling.
- Utilize your diplomacy or intimidation skills and inquiries to manipulate NPCs, revealing hidden opportunities.
- Survival skills include trapping, tracking, and the ability to set up camps or scrounge for materials.
- Rogue skills including thievery, stealth, hacking, and acrobatics.
- Tame animals when they are young, then have them slowly grow into fully matured pets if they receive proper care and feeding.
- Genetically engineer species and hybrids by splicing DNA and Tissue from different species.
- Customize your vehicles and robotic pets.
- Build your home or player city and showcase it to other players.
MMORPG - PAXPrime 2013 Awards - Selected as Rising Star
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/f ... wards.html
MMOHuts - PAXPrime Live Gameplay Video and Interview
http://mmohuts.com/videos/the-repopulat ... early-look
MMORPG - Something Grand in the Sand (Preview)
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... -Sand.html
ONRPG - PaxPrime Roundup - The Repopulation
http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editorial ... roundup/4/
MMO Attack - The Repopulation Video Interview | PAXPrime 2013
The ArcheAge Report Podcast, Special PAX 2013 Episode
MMOHuts - MMO Huts PAXPrime Indie Preview
MODSOnline - PAX Prime 2013
Massively - PAX East 2013 Hands on with The Repopulation
We ran a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2012, which helped the project immensely. It allowed us to bring a few important people on full-time, and drew a lot of attention to the project. In the past 18 months development has continued at a rapid pace. We had a presence at both PAX East and PAX Prime this year, and our community has continued to grow steadily.
We are nearing the point of the game, pushing from alpha into beta testing. We intend to start beta preview events in March, with beta following soon after. With us reaching this stage, we're at the point of trying to decide which fringe features will make or miss the games launch. We have a number of features that are on the bubble, and could easily be pushed to post-launch. Though if we had a little extra funding we could also bring on some additional hands to squeeze them into launch.
We made the decisions to have a second round of Kickstarter, and to use it to determine which features get pushed to post-launch and which make it in to release. It should be noted that none of these are cut features. These are fringe features that were never promised for launch, but most of them have been things that have been discussed and in many cases inquired about on our forums. So this Kickstarter is an opportunity for the community to determine what makes it into launch and what squeezes to post-launch.
What Is My Money Going Towards?
After Kickstarter and Amazon take their respective cuts, the remainder of the funding will go directly toward development. The majority of the funding will go toward developers allowing us to deliver more content and as a result a better product at launch. A smaller portion of the funding will go toward licensing requirements allowing more flexibility moving forward.
Above and Beyond Technologies was formed in 2009 and consisted of the core member JC Smith, Joshua Halls and Stadi Thompson. Since then the team has have grown to over 30 members. Some of Above & Beyond’s staff and contributors have worked on such titles as Everquest, Star War Galaxies, Call of Duty, Free Realms, Virtua Tennis, and Homefront.
Package Upgrades (Bump Ups) for Previous Supporters
Please check out the Package Upgrade section on our website for how to perform a Package Upgrade.
Pledge Level Descriptions
We have a wide variety of offerings for our pledges, this section will explain what those are in detail so you know what you are getting. Many of the early tiers offer a substantial reduction in cost of packages and credits that will be available upon launch so not only are you donating to the cause, you are getting memberships and store credits for half off. If you have any further questions by all means ask us.
We are what is called in the industry a Free to Play (F2P) title. We distribute the game for free and you can play it at no continuing cost. Obviously, the game will not last very long if no one pays any money so we sell memberships with additional perks.
We currently plan on offering 3 memberships with each membership including the previous membership’s offerings. The memberships are a one time purchase much like paying a box fee for a game compared to a subscription that is paid every month. The currently planned offerings for each membership is as follows.
- Additional Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots.
- Access to City Council and Nation Leadership options.
- More Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots.
- Ability become a city mayor and run a player city.
- More Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots.
- Ability to create a new nation.
Memberships are offered as part of packages now, but will be available for future purchase upon release. You will be able to upgrade your membership as well with your existing store credit or newly purchased credit once the game is released.
Part of being F2P is having a cash shop where players can purchase in-game items. We do not sell what are considered Pay to Win (P2W) items that require players to spend money in hopes to compete in the game; instead, we sell cosmetic items that players can use in-game along with a small variety of time saving options such as Items commonly referred to as experience potions. Store Credit can also be used to purchase or upgrade a membership if you don’t have all of the levels. We understand the value of both paying and non paying customers and want to provide incentives to paying customers without non paying customers feeling like they are playing a demo. Store Credit will be given at release and is non refundable.
Alpha and Beta Testing
Alpha and Beta testing is the process before release where the game is nearly complete and players are allowed to play to test out the game. They help with final bug reporting and to stress test the servers. We are offering 5 levels of Beta testing as part of the pledges.
Closed Alpha Round 3 Access (CA3)
CA3 backers will have access to Closed Alpha Round 3 during all testing periods. Closed Alpha Round 3 starts March 2014.
Closed Beta Round 1 Plus Access (CB1+)
CB1+ backers will have access to Closed Beta Round 1 during all testing periods. CB1+ backers will have 2 weekends of access during Closed Alpha Round 3 and have preferred choice over CB1 backers for those weekends.
Closed Beta Round 1 Access (CB1)
CB1 backers will have access to Closed Beta Round 1 during all testing periods. CB1 backers will have 1 weekend of access during Closed Alpha Round 3.
Closed Beta Round 2 Access (CB2)
CB2 backers will have access to Closed Beta Round 2 during all testing periods. CB2 backers will also be given one weekend during Closed Beta 1.
Closed Beta Round 3 Access (CB3)
CB3 backers will have access to Closed Beta Round 3 during all testing periods. CB3 backers will also be given one weekend during Closed Beta 2.
Once Beta is over and the servers are ready to be opened you will get a head start on everyone else. The listed is the minimum you will be given and there might be more based on the number of players. If there is any kind of queue or limit on active accounts upon release any head start member will skip this aspect and be included in the initial count. There will be no data wipe during this process so whatever you have you get to keep once the general public is allowed on the server.
You will be granted titles that are exclusive to this promotion that can be used in game. These perks will not be available for purchase upon release.
These are special tokens that can be used to get special in-game items as a thank you for supporting us. Instead of giving specific ones at each level we will offer you tokens and you will have a choice of different options with some costing more than 1 token. These items will be cosmetic in nature only and will not give you any additional functionality or power over other players. Examples of what you can expect are: equipable shell items such as armor, weapons, and clothing, a special edition vehicle, and trinkets and even special buildings for your housing and nation.
Founder or Voyage plaque
The Founder Plaque and Voyage Plaque are large monuments that will be displayed in both of the major cities in the game for either the OWON or FPR faction. We will etch an approved name into one of the monuments for everyone to see in game. We will also do a “photo-op” with everyone in game if there is interest once in Beta for everyone to keep as a memento if they wish. This plaque is awarded to all other tiers above it as well.
There are additional levels that will get you a higher rank on the plaque so you will be listed with less people. A small plaque will be given that can be used in your private housing to show off as well at higher tiers.
Character Name inserted into Lore
An approved name of your choosing will be inserted into the game lore. We will present you with a few options on where it can go and you will choose from them. The reference will be a minor one and will not be associated with an NPC unless you have an NPC at another tier.
We will work with you on the appearance and name of an NPC that will be used in the game and players will interact with at different levels. In higher tiers you will specify Personality, Profession and Mood for your NPC that allows the NPC to be part of more missions tailored to your liking. This could include different traits that can be viewed as positive or negative depending on how you look at it. We reserve the right to deny any suggestions here and hope of course we do not have to do that. Part of this perk is that we will perform this on the development server so you will get to watch as we do it in real time and the next update your NPC will be live in the testing environment. Development server access is for the period of time only to create the NPC unless you have previous access for some other reason.
We plan on offering 3 distinct housing options: Instanced housing, PvE housing, and Player city Housing. The Housing Plot perk is for a guaranteed housing plot in the PvE housing areas on the Normal server only. Additional plots will be made available upon release for players to earn in game, but as part of being an early adopter you will be granted a guaranteed plot. The PvE housing areas will have a higher concentration of housing plots, but will also have other PvE content so players will want to visit the area for the content. Larger plots will be given out at higher levels that will accommodate larger buildings.
Once a plot is used you will need to maintain an active account every 90 days to keep the plot from being unclaimed and available to be claimed by someone else. If you come back after a plot has been reclaimed you will need to select a new plot and your previous house and all associated objects will be moved to the new plot. Claiming a new plot after inactivity might not be something that can be done instantly based on available resources upon your return, but will be fulfilled in a reasonable amount of time. An extension of the 90 days will be considered upon request.
Housing plot owners will be able to claim a 2nd plot on their character so they may maintain a player city housing plot along with their backer rewarded housing plot.
Custom Logo for Armor or Clothing
We will create a custom armor shell based on one of the existing shells in the game with your design pattern of choice on the piece of armor or clothing (such as a logo or emblem). You will also get a recipe to create these and hand them out to others.
This is a truly custom weapon that will be a different look from the others in the game and unique in that sense. Since we use what we call shells for items the weapon will not have any advantage over others besides people drooling over it while you stand there. We will try to work with you on tweaking it some, but please understand we will present some ideas and go with some minor modifications from there. If you are capable of drawing or designing the weapon we will try to work from that as well to the best of our ability. Part of this perk is that we will perform this on the development server so you will get to watch as we do it in real time and the next update your weapon will be live in the testing environment. Development server access is for the period of time only to create the weapon unless you have previous access for some other reason. You will also get a recipe to create these and hand them out to others.
Along with the giant plaque, each city will have 12 statue monuments to some of the great leaders of the past. We will work with you on becoming one of those statues and introducing some lore into the game about that individual. We do reserve some rights on how far we can go with the lore and will try to work with you the best we can. Part of this perk is that we will perform this on the development server so you will get to watch as we do it in real time and the next update your statue will be live in the testing environment. Development server access is for the period of time only to create the statue unless you have previous access for some other reason.
Generated Mission Template
Wow thanks for supporting us, first off. You will get to work with the team first hand to create a generated mission template that will be used in game. We will work with you on a complex generated mission up to 20 steps. This will be much more complicated than a simple kill 10 of x mission and hopefully other players will appreciate the work everyone put into this.
Meet and greet at a major gaming conference
You can choose to come and meet us at any conference we attend in 2014-2015. You will be invited to a dinner during the conference where you can chat up the team. We are open to working with you on other ideas during the conference if you have them as past backers at this level helped us run the booth as well. You will be responsible for paying for all costs to attend beyond badges as we will provide those.
Stretch Goal Descriptions
You can find the full list of Stretch Goals and their descriptions on our website.
Risks and challenges
Most Kickstarter projects are in their early development stages where they have concepts and ideas to present. We are close to going into a legitimate Beta cycle and have many hours of content waiting to be tested and consumed. We have built a solid team over the past few years and with the success of this Kickstarter campaign we will be able to expand our team slightly to fill in a few gaps.
We have a good track record of progress over the years with monthly updates and a solid reputation among MMO websites as being a professional company with a very solid product. We have a previous Kickstarter under our belts, 3 industry shows, and some hair loss, but the project is still progressing forward.
Our reward levels are all digital rewards with established costs and the stretch goals we were careful not to over promise and have to overextend ourselves in an attempt to fulfill these goals. This is important as everyone might enjoy a t-shirt, but there is a very real cost and logistical cost in managing all of that. Do you want a t-shirt or time (and money) spent improving this game?
We plan to show more of the game with some feature videos during the campaign for those looking for more information about certain features and how they work or are currently working. We hope all of these things help us to earn your pledge and support and help us earn the support of all of your closest friends and acquaintances as well.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We currently are a Windows only title. We currently don't have any plans for a native Mac or Linux release due to a massive rewriting of the engine would be required to extend support and with our budget it is better spent on building the game at this moment. We will attempt to help with any 3rd party tools to get it working, but that is the best we can do at this given moment.
Our only planned language is English. We have hooks in to support localization into multiple languages and will be looking at expanding our selection of languages, but it greatly depends on what route we choose to go as to how far we will go with localization. Our hope is to include a handful of popular languages, but we cannot make any commitments for launch beyond English.
Due to the nature of Kickstarter all pledges are not finalized until after the campaign ends. You can change or cancel at any time before January 26. This means we will not process any pledges until a few days after the campaign ends and most of the pledges have been successfully charged. We will notify everyone shortly before the process starts along with more details on how it works. All the work for this system was completed shortly before Kickstarter begin as we used it for previous pledges, so it will be ready to go as soon as we need it.
Pledge $10 or more
Thanks Recruit. You will be given 1 Repop Token to choose from special cosmetic options available only to early adopters. You will be given a special forum backer rank and be able to reserve a name to use in game.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or more
This is a Package Upgrade for previous backers. Please only select this if you are looking to do an upgrade or "bump-up". This is not for new supporters. Please see the instructions in the Package Upgrades section on how to change the pledge amount to do more than a $15 bump or how to do less than $15 if needed.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
As a Private you will receive the previous rewards along with $10 in Store Credit, a Silver Membership, and Closed Beta Round 3 Access (CB3).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
Thanks Corporal, along with the previous rewards you will be given $20 more Store Credits for a total of $30, Closed Beta Round 2 Access (CB2), a Gold Membership, 1 day head start, and 1 more Repop Token bringing the total to 2.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or more
Thanks Sergeant, along with the previous rewards you will be given a Platinum Membership, 1 more day of head start for a total of 2, 1 more Repop Token for a total of 3, and $5 additional Store Credit for a total of $35.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
Thanks Sergeant Major, along with the previous rewards you will be given 1 more day head start bringing your total to 3, $25 more Store Credits for a total of $60, Closed Beta Round 1 Access (CB1), and the Founder Titile.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or more
Thanks Warrant Officer, along with the previous rewards you will be given the Founder or Voyage Plaque, an additional day of head start bringing the total to 4, an additional 2 Repop Tokens bringing the total to 5, and Closed Beta Round 1 Plus Access (CB1+)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
Thanks Lieutenant, along with the previous rewards you will be able to Customize a NPC, have a name inserted into Lore, Closed Alpha Round 3 Access (CA3) (March 2014), and an additional 2 Repop Tokens bringing the total to 7.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $350 or more
Thanks Captain, along with the previous rewards you will be granted a Small Housing plot located in the OWON or FPR controlled area on the Normal ruleset server.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
Thanks Major, along with the previous rewards you will be able to add a custom logo for armor or clothes along with a recipe to use to share it, customize your previous NPC with a Personality, and your plot will be upgraded to medium in size.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $750 or more
Thanks Colonel, along with the previous awards you will be able to specify a custom weapon model and receive a recipe to share it. You will also be given 1 more day of head start for a total of 5 days and can share that head start with 5 other accounts.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
Thanks General, along with the previous awards you will be able to design your own statue monument and receive a recipe to share it. You will also be able to assign your NPC to become a more notable NPC in the game.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,500 or more
Thanks Senator, along with the previous awards your Housing Plot will be upgraded to large in size. You will be granted an additional notable NPC bringing your total to 2.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $3,000 or more
We have a World Leader (or 2). Along with the previous awards you come and meet us at a conference we are attending in 2014 or 2015, design a unique mission template with the team, and you will receive an additional day of head start for you and 5 other accounts bringing the total to 6 days.Estimated delivery:
- (31 days)