About this project
Chessaria brings a new dimension to Chess games by combining the depth of Chess with the epicness of Fantasy video games.
Chessaria comes from our passion for Chess combined with our love for games like Hearthstone, Final Fantasy Tactics, The Legend of Zelda and AD&D.
Our vision is to infuse all the greatness of those legendary games into a new story driven & fast paced strategy game. (learn more on the game)
A sudden attack brings chaos to the world of Chessaria. Fidael is the only survivor and must embark on an epic journey to save his friends find the princess and unveil the truth behind the attack!
The game combines the core gameplay of Chess enhanced with:
- A unique Mission System, never seen in a chess game!
- Turn-based tactical Boss fights!
- Tiles that spice up the gameplay!
Various game objectives & missions will be entrusted to you during your adventure:
- Neutralize enemy targets
- Capture strategic positions
- Battle Royale
- Liberate bewitched allies
- Protect VIP from assassins
Tactical Boss Fight
Your support will help us implement Gigantic Bosses that will test your tactical skills in intense turn-based battles!
Maps & Special tiles
The game will contain over 100 levels, with rich environments: from the castle of Chessaria to the mysterious forest and the darkest dungeons!
Each map will have unique layouts and Special Tiles that will impact the gameplay in fun ways:
- Mushroom Bumpers speed you up!
- Bad Mushrooms slow you down!
- Ice Flowers will freeze you!
- Piranha Plants will eat you! :O
The game contains 2 game modes: A solo journey playable in the fast-paced “Adventure Mode” and a local-multiplayer game mode.
Chessaria is a magical land inhabited by peaceful spirits, living at the heart of a flourishing woodland. Desperate for land and resources, a growing army of Orcs invaded from the North shore of Chessaria, setting the forests ablaze. With limited forces to resist them, the spirits were defeated.
Meanwhile, fleeing the climate change that left their homeland in ruin, the White Elves sailed from the East to find a new kingdom. They witnessed the burning forests from the sea, and turned to defend the spirits with a sudden offensive. The Orc army were caught by surprise, and forced to retreat.
The elves settled at the southern tip of the land and built a new kingdom out of the ashes of war...
Creating an immersive musical environment specially composed for the game is of the highest importance for our team.
Our vision is to create an epic soundtrack inspired by games like Hearthstone and movies like Lord of the Rings.
Ben Rawles, our talented composer has been key in creating this vibrant, epic, and tavern themed atmosphere that will follow you all around the game, and even after, we hope!
- Adventure mode: experience a unique quest with your fellowship!
- Fast paced tactical gameplay
- +100 Handcrafted levels, progressively challenging for even for the most experienced strategist!
- A classic Chess mode: Single player and local multiplayer (online multiplayer in stretch goals!)
- Six heroes with unique abilities based on the chess characters.
- Immersive music composed by Ben Rawles.
- Mouse & Gamepad support.
- The best for the end: Save a Princess!
- Genre: Strategy, Puzzle
- Platform: Steam (PC, Mac, Linux)
- Planned release : Q2/Q3 - 2017
- Languages: English, French (Others if there is demand)
- Game modes at launch: Campaign Mode // Classic Chess (solo & local multiplayer)
We plan on releasing the game in 2017 on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux) as our lead platform and we’d love to make the game available on other platforms, so let us know by making some noise by leaving comments on Kickstarter and Twitter if that’s something you’d really like to see happening.
Meet the team bringing you Chessaria! We are a team of passionate game professionals who want to bring something new to the industry by “creating magical games that will mark your memories”.
- Matthieu Baldy - Designer & Producer @MatthieuBaldy
- Sevan Kessisian - Story & Gameplay @SevanKessissian
- Ben Rawles - Composer @BenRawlesMusic
- Dan Bojan - Lead Developer
- Paul Szanto - Developer
- Dado Almeida - Concept Artist @Dadotronic
We've put a lot of sweat and blood in this project for many months, and tackled all of the initial development costs ourselves using our own savings... This meant sacrifices (and a lot of pasta and ramen for lunch) but our priority is to keep using our funds for the development of the game. This project is our dream and we already have the initial funding necessary to make the core gameplay, but we need your help to build the greater version of Chessaria!
With this Kickstarter we hope to reach people that love the idea of Chessaria and want to join our journey towards a great, finished product. We are more than confident in our ability to create an awesome game but this can only be achieved with the help of you guys: The Gamers and Backers.
We’ve designed the game to have a flexible budget and scope, so if with your help, we reach our target budget goal, we have a list of great stuff we can add into the mix through stretch goals. We are fully committed to bring this game to life, and with your support, any additional money we raise will go straight into the game to add new levels, races, NPCs, Bosses and features. We want to use this opportunity to listen and involve the community as an additional SUPER team member!
This is how we plan to use your generous Kickstarter pledges:
In reward for backing us you will not only get an amazing game and goodies, but we would also like to give you the chance to contribute to the creation of the game with the team!
Limited rewards details
Ever wanted to contribute to the creation of a Video-Game? This is your chance! We want to give you the opportunity to contribute (with our team) to the creation of specific elements that will be present in the final version of the game.
- Enchanter (Game Designer): Build a specific level that will be playable
- Blacksmith (Weapon Designer): Design one of the main characters’s weapon
- Celebrity: An illustration of you on a poster in one of the levels! Dragon Slayer, Wanted Criminal or Famous Bard? Let’s make this happen!
- Immortal: A glorious statue of yourself in one of the levels as one of the famous Elf or Orc legends!
- Legend: Become an animated 3D character that will be part of the campaign in the final version of the game! Only two slots available.
You don’t need to be a developer or an expert in game-design. We will meet you on Skype and guide you during the whole process to make this experience unique!
We have the main bricks of the game that you see in this Alpha footage. We now need you to implement the Orc Army and Bosses (modelization, texturing and animations), to add more characters and even more deepness to the Fantasy universe we have started to create.
If you like our project, here are a few things you can do to help us:
- Back us: Even $1 means a lot and will contribute towards our goal. It will give us visibility and show us your support.
- Share the project: If you know someone among your friends or colleagues that could be interested, let him know and share this page. YOU are our best ambassador!
- Social Media: Sharing the news on Facebook or Twitter can have a huge impact. If you like this project, your friends might also and we can only spread the word with your help!
Risks and challenges
It is a risky undertaking when an indie studio develops any kind of ambitious game. Luckily, the team has enought years of experience in the video game industry to have already faced many of the challenges that characterise game developement.
Getting to this point hasn't been easy but we have successfully tackled every obstacle that has come our way and secured the funding of the core gameplay from our personal savings, to ensure we could reduce the risk to the minimum.
With proper scope, backed with experience and dedication, our plan is to stay as true as possible to our vision and make the necessary adjustments to make the game as exciting as possible while giving it all it’s chances.
Whether everything progresses perfectly or should challenges unveil before us, our promise is to remain transparent throughout this entire process and update everyone.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)