I am excited to give you all an update on the progress of the book!
As you know, ever since I stopped taking pictures each day I have been working on getting files ready for the printer. This included the process of having a dummy book made so I could see the construction, paper quality, cover materials and so on. Getting the dummy book allowed me to hold the book, see how it felt and make adjustments to size, number of pages, and so on before the design work began.
Once that process was complete I was able to work on the layout and design of the book and the cover. This was one of the most challenging elements of this project for me, and it went through several revisions, but I got it done in record time. All of the images had to be prepared for individual layout, the text from the daily blog posts went to editing, the introduction and closing were written, everything was laid into the pages… and it started to look like a real book!
As you know, I went back to the Facebook fans for help picking the cover image and once that was complete, the cover was designed and created.
While the design and layout was being done, the editing was being done simultaneously so it could be laid in properly. I then went back to all of the Facebook comments and re-read every single one for each day and added some of the comments into the book where space allowed.
The book went through one more final proofreading from there and once finalized, was sent to the printer for the first print proof.
Today I received this proof. (Picture attached) I now have to go page by page and check the images for any color corrections or any changes I want to see in the layout or design. This is my chance to fix any issues before it goes into large print volumes.
(I put a tape measure, an iPhone, and a book that is 7 x 10 inches in there for reference. The actual proof is on the left and has twice as many pages as it will in real life and the dummy book with the cover is on the right and is actual size!)
I hope to be able to get through all 365 images and 62,000 words of print, make any corrections or adjustments, recreate final file for the printer and get them shipped off as soon as possible.
Here is how the timeline has gone so far:
· -The dummy book took about 1.5 weeks
· -The layout and design took about 4 weeks
· - Printing and delivery of this first proof took 1.5 weeks
· - Corrections and final files will ship to the printer in 1.5 more weeks
The printer will send a few samples of the corrections for me to double check before the big print run begins and if it is all good to go, it will take about 4 weeks to go through the print process, binding and shipping. We are so close!!!
Thank you all for your support and thank you all for giving me the time to create a beautiful final product!
The Pikes Peak Guy